2vets LRRP rifle. What would you buy and why if you didnt own one?

Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry 2vets LRRP rifle. What would you buy and why if you didnt own one?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Bald Eagle 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Andrew

Bald Eagle, I agree the Sig M400 is a great gun. There are several folks on here that have one. It is just spendy.

Alonso1

I have a Sig M400. I have been wanting to add a free float rail to it but I’m afraid to change anything. That rifle shoots 1 MOA out of the box, it can hold a 4 inch group with iron sights out to 400 yards.

Now to this Remington LRRP AR. I would have to ask what the intended use of the rifle is for. If it’s going to be a range/target gun, sitting at the bench and trying to get the tightest groups you can get then I think it would be fine. I do believe most rifles are usually more accurate then the shooter ever will be…at least mine are.

This Remington LRRP rifle on TBuzz’s link does not have a dust cover which to me makes it pretty much a range gun. We all know AR’s don’t like getting dirt and stuff on and in the bolt. It also has a muzzle break which is great for recoil reduction but they tend to leave a large flash when firing in low light. It could give your position away and I’ve heard it may interfere with night vision but I would not know about that, I don’t have night vision. And the SS barrel, I understand they are very accurate but they wear faster than chrome lined barrels.

Also, there is no forward assist but it does have a charging handle on the left side. I don’t know if that handle will push a bolt forward if it’s out of battery. You would think it would but not all FN FAL rifles do and they have a similar charging handle. That’s something I would research if I were you.

I like my AR’s to be more combat/SHTF type rifles. I’m not too worried about sub-MOA guns, 4 MOA is fine with me.

In a nutshell, I’m leaning towards this LRRP rifle being primarily a range/target gun. That’s just my 2 cents and I’ve been wrong before, just ask my wife.

Alonso1

I have a Sig M400. I have been wanting to add a free float rail to it but I’m afraid to change anything. That rifle shoots 1 MOA out of the box, it can hold a 4 inch group with iron sights out to 400 yards.

Now to this Remington LRRP AR. I would have to ask what the intended use of the rifle is for. If it’s going to be a range/target gun, sitting at the bench and trying to get the tightest groups you can get then I think it would be fine. I do believe most rifles are usually more accurate then the shooter ever will be…at least mine are.

This Remington LRRP rifle on TBuzz’s link does not have a dust cover which to me makes it pretty much a range gun. We all know AR’s don’t like getting dirt and stuff on and in the bolt. It also has a muzzle break which is great for recoil reduction but they tend to leave a large flash when firing in low light. It could give your position away and I’ve heard it may interfere with night vision but I would not know about that, I don’t have night vision. And the SS barrel, I understand they are very accurate but they wear faster than chrome lined barrels.

Also, there is no forward assist but it does have a charging handle on the left side. I don’t know if that handle will push a bolt forward if it’s out of battery. You would think it would but not all FN FAL rifles do and they have a similar charging handle. That’s something I would research if I were you.

I like my AR’s to be more combat/SHTF type rifles. I’m not too worried about sub-MOA guns, 4 MOA is fine with me.

In a nutshell, I’m leaning towards this LRRP rifle being primarily a range/target gun. That’s just my 2 cents and I’ve been wrong before, just ask my wife.

cedric

The 2 vets 308 special (7.62 nato), I have and yes its a beauty. for those of you who dont know, the charging handle does adjust to the other-rt. side , whitch is nice. The rifle is 7.8 (?) pounds ( thats without the loaded mag. and scope and extras).Yes it does have a high price but i needed a side charger cause my night vision sets way back so the eye’s can line up close to the scope and it’s a pain to pull a rear charger. other rear charger rifles i found were even higher in price. Bushmaster( whitch i have in 5.56- rear) and NEMO are high for the 300 or 308. I’m shooting (zeroing) it this week end and I’ll let you know the good and bad .

PhilTheBiker

I currently do not own anything in .308.

Just 9mm Lugar, 22LR, 30-06.

I’d like to get some sort of carbine in 9mm Lugar or trade up my 9mm hand guns to .40 and then just have .40, 22LR, and 30-06. I’m sure I could find a carbine in .40 that I like (maybe a Sub 2000).

I know there are much more powerful rounds than 9mm and that .308 has amazing stopping power, but I’d like to limit the types of ammo I keep in my home. I figure the Israeli army used 9mm Uzi’s for years in urban combat so it must not be all that bad of a round to use.

Andrew

Phil, I suggest reading this Is the .308 the Perfect North American Big Game Cartridge?

And if you decide on a 40 S&W pistol I recommend a used Glock Model 22. I have purchased them for as cheap as $319 in the past year.

PhilTheBiker

Thanks for the link to read up on!

The Glock 26 is a great size and I love the capacity of the Glock 17 but not really the carrying ability. So I would think maybe more Glock 23 in .40 since it is similar to the Glock 19 in size (if not identical).

firemedic4

@philthebiker 20500 wrote:

The Glock 26 is a great size and I love the capacity of the Glock 17 but not really the carrying ability. So I would think maybe more Glock 23 in .40 since it is similar to the Glock 19 in size (if not identical).

Got a 23, flawless!!

Andrew

@philthebiker 20500 wrote:

The Glock 23 is a great gun. You just aren’t able to find the deal on it that you find on the model 22 though.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.