Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry AK or AR.

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 56 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Armadillofz1 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author

Armadillofz1

When the music stops and we’re all left with no chair. What will be you choice. Back up your thoughts too. And for the sake of argument let’s assume AK is 7.62×39 and AR is .223.

PhilTheBiker

Someone is trying to start a war here πŸ™‚
    I like the fact that the AR doesn’t have the same kick as the AK. Shooting the M16-A2 in the Army I enjoyed hitting targets with iron sites at 300 yards constantly in rapid succession. I’m not sure an AK could do that. However, if you need a weapons cache some place in the middle of no place under a few feet of dirt, I’d want the AK to be buried. It’ll work 10 years later, just ask the people of Afghanistan.

Sharpe

My knowledge on guns are limited, but i know an AK has more Recoil than an AR, and i prefer the style of the AR more.. so i’m going with AR πŸ™‚

azurevirus

I will take the AK as altho I have had both guns..Im just more comfortable with the AK..matter of choice really.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Even though the AK has the edge over the AR in reliability, the AR is lighter, the ammo is lighter and I think it has a better design for tactical situations. If you want rifle that will last you the rest of your life of frequent use you might want to go with the AK. But for the shorter term of occasional use for defensive purposes with good weapons maintenance practices you should be just fine with a AR.

AK also has the edge over the AR in stopping power, but its my understanding that even the military issued “I-Vest” that are used to today will stop more rounds of 7.62×39 than 5.56 nato. I think it has something to do with velocity and the size of the projectile the vest was designed to protect against small arms fire and the common AK rounds used by the kind of bad guys we’re fighting in current wars.

Alonso1

Here I go again, bouncing back and forth on this issue. Today I choose the AR. If this is a TEOTWAWKI situation I want to start hitting zombies at 600 yards and not have to wait until they were 300 yards in. The AR is way lighter and so is the ammo, but who doesn’t love an AK? ask me this question in an hour from now and I may be choosing the AK. In fact I have to get off the computer because I’m going to my son’s little league game and guess what’s packed and ready to go with me, my AK.

Now what pistol should I take, my 9mm or 45?…

Bud

The ability to pull an AK out of buried sand and shoot reliably is worth it’s weight and recoil.

tcindie

@teknabuzz 3878 wrote:

AK also has the edge over the AR in stopping power

The ‘stopping power’ argument is a joke. Bottom line, you put a hole in them, they’re gonna bleed. Either one would hurt enough to make all but the most determined attacker think about continuing their attack.

However, what’s worth noting is that the 5.56 round will cause significantly more catastrophic damage than the 7.62. Because of it’s high velocity and small size, it tumbles upon impact. It has been known to ricochet off bones and pulverize a whole lot of flesh & organ while tumbling around inside the body. While the entrance wound from an AR as small, the exit wounds are generally downright gnarly.

I choose the AR though, primarily because it’s what they taught me with in the corps. I know that I can pick off targets out to 500yd and more with just the iron sites, because I had to do it to earn my title as a Marine. πŸ˜‰

The significant difference in weight of the ammunition is a big selling point for me too. If I’ve got to be on the run with little more than my ass and my rifle, I want to be sure I can carry as much ammo as possible. The amount that can be easily carried is significantly higher with 5.56 vs. 7.62.

otis302

I say ak and the fact you are going to shoot 300 400 500 plus yds is a small percentage I droped mine in the mud knocked it off and fired 80+ rounds with no problem.

Alonso1

@otis302 3884 wrote:

the fact you are going to shoot 300 400 500 plus yds is a small percentage

That’s a good point. A lot of people don’t shoot past 200 or 300 yards so if you have the skill and weaponry; tag the zombies before you are in their range. Distance is your friend.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

That’s another advantage because with proper concealment if not shooting from a obvious location such as a somewhat secluded home a invading zombie is going to have a hard time pin pointing exactly where you’re firing from at ranges beyond 300 or so yards.

PhilTheBiker

@teknabuzz 3878 wrote:

AK also has the edge over the AR in stopping power, but its my understanding that even the military issued “I-Vest” that are used to today will stop more rounds of 7.62×39 than 5.56 nato. I think it has something to do with velocity and the size of the projectile

International treaties have determined exactly what rounds soldiers can fire. During WWI armor was just coming out. Soldiers found if they pulled the pulled out of it’s casing, turned it around, and fired it, that round would then go through armor. Probably a violation of international laws. Point being, there is always a round that will go through something.

00_Jackie

GOtta go with the AR b/c I’ve never shot an AK.

DCortez

I like shooting AKs better than ARs, but have a superior AR setup. AR.

tcindie

I’ll add a little more reasoning to my argument.

I’ve shot both. I prefer the lower recoil of the AR, and I found the AR to be significantly more accurate. There is definitely something to be said about the reliability of an AK, but if you can’t rely on it being accurate I don’t know that it still being able to function is necessarily a benefit. If my gun works, I want it to throw rounds where I intend for it to do so, otherwise we could all forget about accuracy all together and use handguns to just throw rounds downrange somewhere in the neighborhood of what you’re trying to hit.

I’ll take the accuracy and regular cleaning/maintenance requirements over reliability with questionable accuracy. Thus AR.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.