Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry AK or AR.

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 56 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Armadillofz1 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author

vbreferee

Can I vote for the AR just because I like it, and it is American? We could debate the two until the cows come home. Both are great weapons. Both have their advantages. AR for me.

I’ve never shot an AK, but with my knowledge of an AR, I’d take it hands down every time. I believe the AR ammo is cheaper, dependability is all determined by the maker, for the most part the part are interchangeable. Its a popular gun in the states and many people have at least one if not more. The AR also has a unique ability most are unaware of. You can now take a 6.8 upper and attach it to a 5.56 lower and you can shoot a larger more effective/impactful short to mid range round. A little tweak made after the BlackHawk Down incident. To add, there is the plethora of gadgets and attachments made for it that are specifically made for make the AR a more versatile rifle.

my two on it.

PhilTheBiker

In addition an AR chambered in 5.56 can also shoot .223 (but not the other way around). You can also get a conversion kit that quickly converts your AR into a 22LR. It basically replaces the bolt carrier group and magazine.

I have shot both. The recoil on a properly built AR is almost nothing compared to the recoil on any AK. The down side? Keep the AR clean but the AK really doesn’t care.

DCortez

Bud

@dcortez 4591 wrote:

http://militaryarms.blogspot.com/2012/02/shtf-why-i-choose-ak.html

That is the best logically and spelled out answer for why I PREFER an AK but overall the question and answers are redundant… When the SHTF I will be happy to have a flint lock next to me if that’s what I can get. So far as the debate goes it really isn’t anything more than what you prefer.

Arclight

AK is the best for the ZA, but this is my personal opinion since i own one. Number one sell point is its tried, true, rugged, and dependable. Orginial designs for it came out in 1944 when the germans designed the StG 44. When the Russians finally conqueted Germany they stole the plans and then created the world famous AK-47, it is the most recognizable gun in the entire world and that says alot about it. Being a former soldier serving in Iraq i have seen, heard, and witnessed the damage this gun can do, against Zombies it would be the weapon in my hands. Is it a pretty gun like the AR, ACR, or any of the newer assault rifles out there? Hell no, its ugly as sin but for a gun to be around and still being produced for the last 68 years…thats saying alot.

The_Wolf1976

Contrary to what some say, Ak’s don’t kick that much and if a true SHTF situation or zombie apocalypse happens AK’s will still be shooting when those AR’s are jamming up from a lack of cleaning. 😀

tcindie

The finicky nature of ARs is not anywhere near as bad as people think. If you piece one together with lesser quality parts it may give you trouble. However, the bottom line is they are a highly efficient VERY accurate weapon.

Sure, you can bury an AK in the sand, run it over with a truck, pull it out of a mud hole, bang it back into shape with a rock and it’ll shoot a round down range.. but if your rifle isn’t very accurate it might as well be a hammer.

I’ve fired both. Compared to an AR, the AK has significantly more kick. It is also significantly less accurate.

Less kick equates to less time to reacquire your target. Those fractions of a second could be the difference between life and death.

I will trust my life to an AR every time… and for those who still believe the hype that the AR has to be cleaned religiously or it will stop working — Read about the “Filthy 14” and think again: http://www.slip2000.com/art-swat2.html

Note that article is about 18 months old, as of Dec. 2011, it had over 43,000 rounds fired, and was still getting 1.5″ groups at 50yd. I believe it has since been rebuilt. The AR should be significantly more accurate than 1.5″ groups at 50yds, but that’s still extremely accurate and reliable for over 40k rounds fired between cleaning.

Andrew

If it had to be a weapon I needed on the move I would use the below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]349[/ATTACH]

Andrew

Good comparison of both by R. Lee Ermey.

PhilTheBiker

You can never argue with gunny!

Andrew

I saw another video where the Marlin 1894 in .357 was recommended. The justification was that he also carried a S&W 686 in .357 and he could use the same cartridge.

The m16 is the best for going through doors and thin stone. Ak has strong power but recoil is fair depending if you handle it in the right spot. But I prefer this weapon:

STEYR AUG
    Type: Semi or Fully Automatic Bull-Pup Assault Rifle
    Country of Origin: Austria
    Caliber: 5.56 x 45 mm (.22 inch)
    Cartridge 30 and 42 rounds
    Muzzle Velocity: Approximately 3,084 feet per second
    Rate of Fire: 650 rounds per minute

Andrew

@Total Eclipse 5570 wrote:

I prefer this weapon:

STEYR AUG
    Type: Semi or Fully Automatic Bull-Pup Assault Rifle
    Country of Origin: Austria
    Caliber: 5.56 x 45 mm (.22 inch)
    Cartridge 30 and 42 rounds
    Muzzle Velocity: Approximately 3,084 feet per second
    Rate of Fire: 650 rounds per minute

THe Steyr is a reliable weapon. The Austrian military uses it. The Steyr is an expensive weapon though and there is not wide market proliferation which means finding replacement parts could be difficult.

Hmmm is the older world war 2 guns still here. Like the M1 Carbine or M1 Grande?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.