Anybody Here Hunters?

Home Forums Survival Skills Anybody Here Hunters?

This topic contains 56 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  TeknaBuzz 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I’ve been talking about getting into hunting for years now and unless things change Friday after work I’m going to look at a hunting lease. Just was wondering how many hunters we have here. Otis is really the only active person here I can think of that’s into hunting.

Andrew

I have not hunted since 2003. As a youth I hunted from the time I was 10 until I was 19. We hunted for food so it was deer, elk, duck, geese, pheasant, quail, chipmunk, squirel, rat. But I enjoyed it. My time is more valuable now then the need for food though.

I would enjoy to start hunting again. I have a friend that is into it and trying to get me to go. Maybe this fall.

Argartis

I’ m a hunter, but only for about 7 years or so. I am a young-un. Mostly whitetail, but some rabbit, squirrel, turkey, and groundhogs. I wanna get into duck and quail and a couple other animals. I think it’s well worth it, even the experience of hunting is enjoyable if you enjoy being outdoors.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Well the lease I’m going to look at will be include my whole family with the membership, with year round access, family can take 3 bucks and 3 does per year, and regular state bag limits of other game and unlimited hog hunting. There is some fishing hole’s too, that was the main thing I was looking at for the kids something they can catch some perch. Plus when it’s not deer season I can go out there and shoot as much as I want and I don’t have to worry about range fees and range rules.

Andrew

@teknabuzz 13007 wrote:

Plus when it’s not deer season I can go out there and shoot as much as I want and I don’t have to worry about range fees and range rules.

It is worth it just for that.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Exactly what I’m thinking andrew. For the bucks, I think they do have a 13″ spread limit to protect the small bucks from being harvest.

I was actually planning on going with something further away from home for the event we need to bug out for hurricane season as this lease is fairly close but I suppose it’s proximity will get me out there that much more often.

DCortez

Not a hunter. Would like to, but my work schedule is always up in the air and unpredictable.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@dcortez 13012 wrote:

Not a hunter. Would like to, but my work schedule is always up in the air and unpredictable.

This is something that has long kept me from getting into it.

I’ve since gone and looked at the lease its like over 16k acres of piney woods owned by the timber company. The hunting club management is a non profit organization basically works out a deal with the timber company to allow hunting on the property of about 125 families each year. The lease is huge! I spent about 4 hours riding in a truck and still didn’t see all of it. Scattered amongst the lease is about 8 or so camping areas that about 2 acres that allows 7 or 8 campers to be set up. Obviously there is more members than is room in all the camping areas and there is waiting list to in on one of the camps. I feel like I got a good deal out of it cause it’s looking like I’ll already have a camp with running water and a truck bed type camper with a propane stove. That beat’s sleeping in a tent if you want to stay the night even though the lease isn’t but a 30-40 minute drive for me. I’m pretty excited about it.

otis302

Sounds like a great place with 16,000 acres there would be lots of places to set up as far as camping when I go to the national forest they have designated spots but I dont go to the woods to be right next to other people I always find my own spot and have not been discovered yet. Load up lock it in and head out!

PhilTheBiker

I’m going to be hunting deer for the first time this year since I was 12 years old. There are a lot of deer right in my back yard, i’ll only need to walk about 1,000 yards to be at my hunting location. There are also some wild rabbits around here, and an actual rabbit season, so I might go take some rabbits. I would love to go south to hog hunt.

I’m planning a trip to AZ with a friend, we are driving round trip. Him and I would love to hit up someplace in Texas to take some hogs. I’ve never cleaned a hog so someone with us that has experience would be great. If I only knew someone in Texas 😉

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Phil, they got hog hunting competitions here in Texas and some of the large acreage ranchers bring people in specifically for hog removal. If a rancher brings in a dozen people and offers a reward to the group with most hogs and or the heaviest weight of hogs that group wins. Cool thing about hog hunting is that it’s about the only thing you can get away with hunting at night.

I went out there this afternoon, to sight in my rifle and help my newly found hunting buddy relocate his hog trap. As we was driving down the road he stopped and said did you see that, I missed it but he put it in reverse and there was a baby hog come out the brush, he seen the mama but she had already vanished by time we backed up. I’m sure there was other piglets with mama that one was just trailing behind.

Here’s a pic of the stand I was shooting my target to sight in:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1379[/ATTACH]

PhilTheBiker

I’ll be in touch when the dates get closer 🙂

Andrew

@teknabuzz 13416 wrote:

Phil, they got hog hunting competitions here in Texas and some of the large acreage ranchers bring people in specifically for hog removal. If a rancher brings in a dozen people and offers a reward to the group with most hogs and or the heaviest weight of hogs that group wins. Cool thing about hog hunting is that it’s about the only thing you can get away with hunting at night.

I went out there this afternoon, to sight in my rifle and help my newly found hunting buddy relocate his hog trap. As we was driving down the road he stopped and said did you see that, I missed it but he put it in reverse and there was a baby hog come out the brush, he seen the mama but she had already vanished by time we backed up. I’m sure there was other piglets with mama that one was just trailing behind.

Here’s a pic of the stand I was shooting my target to sight in:

Very nice. It looks like you a nice setup.

PhilTheBiker

Honestly, I think i’d rather take a 3 or 4 smaller 50 – 70 pound hog. I can only imagine that the younger meat would taste better. Then again, i’ve never had wild hog.

otis302

Wild hog is good and good for you they are lean so much so you need to add some greece to cook also they root continualy not walking around in there feces or loaded up with chemicals when we find a piglet we will castrate them that makes them a barr hog it takes a lot of the gameness out of the meat and it is more tender.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.