Anybody Here Hunters?

Home Forums Survival Skills Anybody Here Hunters?

This topic contains 56 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  TeknaBuzz 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I’m know very little about hunting but this is my understand of things:

I know the younger deer taste better but I don’t think that applies to the hogs as much. But the boar hogs, what some of the trappers and guys that hunt with the dogs do is catch the boars and cut the balls off and the tails too just to release them back into the wild. They cut to the tails so they can easily be identified later as already been castrated and if you come across one with tail cut go ahead and shoot it cause the meat should be good. It’s my understanding that it takes about 4 months after a boar hog has been cut to get to tasting right but the sals are good to eat anytime.

A person I know that hunts them and cuts and releases to kill at a later time when the meat is better says that hogs roam around large distances but once you cut them they generally stay pretty close to the same location. He says that after they’ve been cut they get really mean and they are the ones that will make you climb a tree to get away from them.

50-70lbs of a wild hog is a small hog at least around here, my uncle who traps seems to get 100-150 on average and occasionally 200+ pounds. He normally gives them away still alive or if kills and cleans he charges only a little bit for them. I didn’t understand why he goes thru the trouble but after seeing how aggressive they can be I understand now. He works out in the oil field and they seem to be attracted to the scent of the oil and diesel fuels something about killing the lice and ticks on them. But out there in the oil field there is no trees to climb up if one wants to run at you. I seen some pics and video of some that could easily be mistaken for a cow. A guy I work with was telling me about some guys in a hog hunting competition and they had to catch 5 hogs and the the group with highest total weight won. The group winners total weight was 1300lbs.

PhilTheBiker

I’m hungry now.. thanks guy.. And I can’t bread my rabbits till next month!

I hunt when I can, which, right now, means that I haven’t been hunting in 4 years. I’m really hoping that will change soon. I also want to get back down to Texas, not for the weather, but because that’s where the rest of my family lives. Nothing like the taste of venison or fresh-caught fish. Cooked over a blackjack oak fire. I gotta stop; I’m making myself homesick.

otis302

The last one I got 200 lb with big cutters [ATTACH=CONFIG]1394[/ATTACH]

SCpatriot

otis, is that you in the picture? If it is you look familiar.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Took the family up there this weekend so I could set up my feeder and game camera. So far we got a small camper on one of the campsites, 1 deer stand, 1 55 gal feeder with up to 6 feeding times and a 6v solar panel for recharging the batteries. As time goes on I’ll be focusing on setting up the camp to house as much of the hunting/camping necessities as possible to minimize the amount of things needed to be loaded up for each trip.

Here’s a few pics and there is more in my albums:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1523[/ATTACH]
    That’s my stand seen on the left.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1524[/ATTACH]
    My son going down the trail carrying Ruger 10/22.

DCortez

Looks like a good time.

otis302

I remember it well and your boy will forever, what are you going to hunt with your AR if so use the Barnes 55 gr sxt or a soft point Ted Nuget has a Barnes load. As far as feeding times look for sign and other hunters scouting your area when that spin feeder goes off its the dinner bell deer use a schedule more or less and if you set it more then once or twice they will go there at almost any time because food is always there but if you aim is to have prime shooting times set it twice they will lay during the day most the time I used to set mine bout a half hour before first light and about a hour before sunset. I never hunted Texas and of course the habitat ,heat, water, hunting pressure all is part of the equasion. My self I would up the anti and have a back up spot clear it enough with a machete and bait that area with the clear shot and positive back stop in mind some where you can see from way off. Dam I am getting buck fever and its still 1 1/2 months to go.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Otis,

The stand was given to me on location but it’s been being used with a feeder in the shooting distance for at least the past 4 years so the deer should already know that they can get a meal there. Right now I have the feeder set for 7am and 6pm I believe so I’m thinking as season nears closer I will be only need to adjust it by about 30 minutes. The other hunter friends set the times for me and I was wanting to feed all day. Glad you gave that tip cause I thought they just didn’t want all the deer coming to my feeder cause or so they could feed all day to out do me.

I’m allowed 2 stands on the lease but I probably will only stick with just this one for this year. I tried my best to place the feeder as close to the trails I know they’re moving thru but with enough clearing and in a direction that I can shoot the best left handed from inside the stand.

I’ll appreciate any and all tips and pointers you have for me as I’m new to this and wanting to learn as much as I can so I pass it down to my children.

Oh yeah, I’ll be hunting with 30/06.

If I’m off Sunday I’m going to run up there and check the camera and take some more pics to share with ZombieLyptic.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Got some more pics from the lease

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1530[/ATTACH]
    This was us just after setting up the game camera
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1531[/ATTACH]
    Instead of using all the legs using tie down straps I’ve secured the feeder to a tree to prevent the hogs from tearing up the legs to get to the corn.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1532[/ATTACH]
    This a view from behind the feeder looking back towards the stand
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1533[/ATTACH]
    This is a view of the feeder from inside the stand

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Game camera pics, it looks like I already got a few does coming to the feeder:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1534[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1535[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1536[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1537[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1538[/ATTACH]

I had the right date/time set the night before but I guess the batteries came loose when I was installing the game camera onto the tree and the date/time reset. In the top picture in the previous post the date and time stamp should actually be around 12:00pm Saturday July 6th.

DCortez

Nice! Will be nice to snag a few for the freezer.

Haven’t changed my batteries in my camera or set up a feeder. Unfortunately, time, time, and time.

Neighbor saw a sow and ton of piglets on the back fence line.

otis302

Tek when is your hunting I am guessing Nov like every where during the rut it with a 200 day gestation lots of fawns are born in late may or june but does go in a second short heat in Dec having fawns in june or early july you hit the mother load which shows well managed land returns 10 fold are there food plots near by?

Andrew

I haven’t hunted in years. I think 2003 was the last time. I am looking forward to hunting in PA next year though.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Here’s a few pics from week 2 of the feeder. Evidently I got the AM/PM time reversed but just last night this big ole hog visited the feeder, I stayed late at the lease tonight waiting for him but he didn’t show up:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1554[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1555[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1556[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1557[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1558[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1559[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1560[/ATTACH]

I’m really wanting to put that big hog in my freezer. Notice the coon in the picture spinning the feeder, I have a group of pics showing a coon doing the same thing for about an 1 1/2 hour and is pretty amusing to watch the slide show of the full week of pics. For the most part the camera was facing south so I moved it where it’s now facing east if I remember correctly which tree I put it on certain times of the day all seen was white from early and late evening sun glare.

@otis302 14432 wrote:

Tek when is your hunting I am guessing Nov like every where during the rut it with a 200 day gestation lots of fawns are born in late may or june but does go in a second short heat in Dec having fawns in june or early july you hit the mother load which shows well managed land returns 10 fold are there food plots near by?

Bow starts in October and gun season starts in November.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.