Anybody Here Hunters?

Home Forums Survival Skills Anybody Here Hunters?

This topic contains 56 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  TeknaBuzz 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • Author

PhilTheBiker

Wow, that’s a big hog!!!

otis302

the big ones are more gamy and tough in this case smaller are better

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@otis302 14594 wrote:

the big ones are more gamy and tough in this case smaller are better

Otis, what do you reckon that hog in the picture weighs? I was told 300-350 and was thinking myself at least 250 but I really don’t know. I’m told you gotta kill some of them cause they’ll run your deer off but what do you suggest?

otis302

Looks to be 290 to 315 or so I would guess you can still eat them but you have to work the meat some soaking it in white vinigar lemon lime some ketchup all those are acidy that will break down the sinus tissue you dont want too many big ones around they will flat eat all the feed and will knock over the feeder and beat it to death at some places we put up about a 3 foot fence but if its not sturdy you will have a ball of wire and stll have the same problem the deer will jump it no problem, or you can trap and move the big ones we used to shoot the big ones and donate the meat to a half way house, when you butcher it always wear gloves they are known to carry bruellosis that will make you sick and then you will need a series of shots but when you cook it that will kill all the bacteria.

PhilTheBiker

I’d say that’s a 300 pound pig.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Instead of posting a few pics I figured I put a whole mess of them from last week into a video to share:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNuulvIQS4I

I think I’m going to build a coral type trap somewhere in the proximity of my stand & feeder. I want to use the guillotine doors so that way I can easily remove the trap door and get the hogs in the habit of going in. I’m thinking of using T-post and hog panel fencing utilizing as many pine trees as possible to help support the walls of the fence.

otis302

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1583[/ATTACH]man thats a hog problem what is a hog problem I think the best solution is a enclosure around your feeder sows have 2 litters a year any where from 10 to 12 piglets each litter they have no sweat glands so they need water or mud to stay cool that big one was wallowing hogs feed with there head down so a trough is a option but not hardly the best as you see you have that doe coming back and only when there are no hogs you can use dogs to run them off but then once or twice wont do it and with all that comotion it will slow down the hunting. Like I said they are eating all the scratch build a enclosure and make sure the bottom is secure hogs root thats what they do some barb wire run wit it will help.Right now I would change the times on the feeder that doe walked all around because there was hardly any thing left.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Judging by the photo’s and looking very closely at the does it appears I have at least 3 different does coming to the feeder and the little fawn I’ve been watching the past few weeks got real close to the camera in shot and I noticed he is a buck fawn with 2 little nubs on his head seen here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1627[/ATTACH]

Right now I got the feeder going for 7 seconds at 7am and 4 seconds at 5pm. I haven’t been getting any more night time deer pics and they all seem to be between 6 and 10 am for the deer but the hogs camp out all throughout the night and now more recently are coming past 7am which I’m sure is running deer off. I can have up to 6 timed feedings go off a day, do you think I should set more morning time timers and perhaps eliminate that afternoon one?

Also bow season starts in October and I’m wondering about attractants to lure in some bucks but I won’t be participating in bow season so I want time everything to my advantage come November. I really don’t know nothing about the attractants, which to use or when I should start using it.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I’ve had this single buck fawn visiting the feeder daily and up & til now was the only buck I’ve caught on camera. I believe he is now the one with 4″ spikes but there are some longer spike bucks, some with branches and some 6-8points I caught on camera this past week. The “wildgame” stamped camera is actually facing just left of my feeder (this camera sucks and only captured about 1/10th the pictures my other camera gets on the feeder), and my bushnell camera is about 25 yards behind the feeder on a trail I talked about in another thread. Needless to say I’m pretty excited to multiple bucks coming into my area a week before gun season.

Here’s some pics from the feeder cam:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1737[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1738[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1739[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1740[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1741[/ATTACH]

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

And then a few more pics from the trail cam:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1742[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1743[/ATTACH]Wish I would’ve got a clearer picture of this one, which looks to be the biggest of them all.[ATTACH=CONFIG]1744[/ATTACH]

PhilTheBiker

I saw a really nice buck about 1/2 mile down the road. I wish it was December!

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Went back to the woods today to fix up my feeder. Hog got violent with the legs and rammed the legs trying to get corn out which is why I have it ratcheted down to the tree with straps.
    Before:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2376[/ATTACH]
    After:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2375[/ATTACH]
    Wish I had the camera set on video cause he was hitting the legs hard enough to bend the 55 gallon drum feeder.

Evidently the coons been missing the corn too and have tried to eat their way into the plastic lid I bought for making it easier to refill:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2377[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2378[/ATTACH]

Also saw this doe in the road and she let me get a good picture of her:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2379[/ATTACH]

otis302

I am already raedy for hunting season unfortunately its not ready for me we can start early sept on private land I planted some clover at my houst this is where I will do most of my hunting leases are hard to come by and more$$$ then I have right now and I am having luck drawing them in[ATTACH=CONFIG]2388[/ATTACH]

PhilTheBiker

Saw a Doe today with a broken front leg. I felt sorry for the deer. Clearly it must have been running at one point, stepped into something and broke her leg. She had a fawn with her 🙁 I maybe willing to shoot a deer during hunting season, but I can’t stand watching something suffer like this. Hopefully she lives long enough for the fawn to grow up.

otis302

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2435[/ATTACH]I am using my AR for the second year this year I am using Hog Hammer ammo 62gr Barnes tipped by Remington it has a flash suppres powder a nickle plated case bought a box to see how they grouped very pleased and at $29.00 a box 5 rds were money I am also going to leave my scope off and use the Eotech Thursday I had a decent group cmon Sept.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.