Battle Road USA’s "Fighting Shotgun"

Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry Battle Road USA’s "Fighting Shotgun"

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Alonso1 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Alonso1

Two weeks ago Battle Road USA had it’s first firearms class since May. The ammunition shortage hit us pretty hard as well as many of our friends in the firearms training business. Fortunately, the pistol and rifle ammunition is working it’s way back and the shotgun ammo is everywhere now.

Since shotgun ammo is plentiful, my partners and I decided to host a “Fighting Shotgun” class. It felt so good to have a line of shooters and piles of ammo. We went over weapon retention, combat reloads, checking the spread pattern out to 25 yards, fired slugs from 5 to 50 yards, and by the end of the day we had several shooters firing 5 rounds under 2.5 seconds with a pump shotgun, with all rounds on target. Several other shooters were knocking on the door at 5 rounds in the 2.90’s. That’s some rocking and rolling with a pump gun.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1643[/ATTACH]

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

5 rounds in under 3 seconds that does sound fast! I know the people who shoot skeet put a lot of rounds thru their shotguns but it’s still not the same kind of abuse a firearm must withstand for a class such as this. Are there any makes & models that under-perform in comparison to others that you’ve noticed from doing these classes so far?

“Buy a shotgun” is up there on my list of things to do…

Andrew

@teknabuzz 15182 wrote:

5 rounds in under 3 seconds that does sound fast! I know the people who shoot skeet put a lot of rounds thru their shotguns but it’s still not the same kind of abuse a firearm must withstand for a class such as this. Are there any makes & models that under-perform in comparison to others that you’ve noticed from doing these classes so far?

“Buy a shotgun” is up there on my list of things to do…

Do you not have a shotgun at all right now?

Alonso1

@teknabuzz 15182 wrote:

Are there any makes & models that under-perform in comparison to others that you’ve noticed from doing these classes so far?

Personally I’ve never have never witnessed a shotgun go down during a course. The most common shotguns brought to class are the Mossberg 500/590 series and the Remington 870 and they work fine for the most part. I own two Remington 870’s, they are the Express model which are the budget models. I have had a lot of low brass shells fail to extract. I had to polish the chamber and grind away a small ridge of metal just behind the chamber to get them going.

Now at work our range staff took the Mossberg Maverick 88 off our firearms approved list. One of the range guys told me the Mossberg 88 had a difficult time with a 300 round course and some of the plastic internal parts were breaking and causing the gun to stop. He did make it clear they have only had that issue with the Mavericks but the other Mossbergs did just fine.

To be honest, I don’t have a preference between a Mossberg 500 series and a Remington 870. I buy my shotguns from pawn shops and I get the one with the lowest price.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@andrew.anderson 15183 wrote:

Do you not have a shotgun at all right now?

Nope, something else firearms related always seems to prevail over my priorities every time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.