Bear Grylls fire starter

Home Forums Gear & Equipment Bear Grylls fire starter

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  otis302 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

otis302

Last week end I got to my spot late the sun was setting it was cold and wet I got some fire wood and tried to get it going using my Cole man magneisum and flint fire starter I also had some small pieces of wood as tinder, no go as I got colder and it got darker I took some sterno and dipped the tinder in it though I had many sparks it would not light I scraped on the magneisum and the flecks I got did burn off but not enough to get it started I decided to use my flickety bic lighter. I got the Bear Grylls fire starter with the ferrocerium rod and went out back and made a small fire pit it had been raining here and had some dry tinder and it started right off it also has a whistle a dry compartment for tinder worth the money.

PhilTheBiker

Bear Grylls to the rescue!

So, why do you think one product was more successful than the other?

otis302

I believe it was the ferrocerium rod that put off huge amounts of a hotter spark as opposed to the flint striker of the Coleman. If I had more time to grind off more of the magnesium that burns at 3100 degrees on the Coleman it would have been differant which gives me the idead to do it now and carry a vial.

azurevirus

I was thinking about a couple of Grylls items like his knife and the fire starter..havent made a move on them yet as I have a decent knife and I always carry extra Bic lighters which I have always used..pretty much the Grylls knife would be an upgrade at most and I had my doubts on the fire starter..Im glad it worked out for you

JulioTheSavage

@otis302 9557 wrote:

Last week end I got to my spot late the sun was setting it was cold and wet I got some fire wood and tried to get it going using my Cole man magneisum and flint fire starter I also had some small pieces of wood as tinder, no go as I got colder and it got darker I took some sterno and dipped the tinder in it though I had many sparks it would not light I scraped on the magneisum and the flecks I got did burn off but not enough to get it started I decided to use my flickety bic lighter. I got the Bear Grylls fire starter with the ferrocerium rod and went out back and made a small fire pit it had been raining here and had some dry tinder and it started right off it also has a whistle a dry compartment for tinder worth the money.

Maybe he only puts his name on things that work? I think I’m gonna have to check the Grylls fire starter out along with some of his others products out. I usually use the Coleman waterproof matches.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I got a few cheap magnesium fire starters from from harbor freight for $2 that look very similar to the coleman one’s your talking about and I couldn’t start a fire with it for the life of me. The part that is supposed to make sparks is a pain in the butt to create a spark off of and the magnesium itself is very difficult to scrape off. I’d be better off rubbing 2 sticks together and I honestly believe that.

I think we gave away a few of those Bear Grylls fire starters in a contest a long time ago. Good to know they work pretty good.

PhilTheBiker

speaking of harbor freight.. I posted my review over here a while back: http://www.zombielyptic.com/showthread.php?503-1-99-firestarter&highlight=firestarter

Basically I was probably to lazy to setup a good kindling area for the firestarter to really work, but news paper worked great.

Don’t forget to use your 20% off coupon that you can find just about everywhere!

snowninja62

where can i find a good reuseable fire starter? , thats one of the few things my survival bags are missing….anyone help please?

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@snowninja62 9960 wrote:

where can i find a good reuseable fire starter? , thats one of the few things my survival bags are missing….anyone help please?

This one here seems to be popular and well reviewed http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-000699-Grylls-Survival-Starter/dp/B004DT6TEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357642822&sr=8-1&keywords=bear+grylls+fire+starter

PhilTheBiker

Dicks Sporting Goods, Bass Pro Shops, Wal-Mart probably has them as well, REI, Harbor Freight, and just about any other hunting/camping store. I’m guessing Camping World and many other places as well as online as Tek has pointed out.

Stocker
    Participant

The best fire starting method ive used is cottonballs mixed with petroleum jelly. never fails to light.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.