Bug Out Vehicles

Home Forums Planning & Preparation Bug Out Vehicles

This topic contains 101 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  TeknaBuzz 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 102 total)
  • Author

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

What do you think would make a good bug out vehicle?

For me I’d want something like a v6 (little more fuel efficient) Toyota 4runner with 4 wheel drive. Toyota’s have the best stock ground clearance out of all other 4x4s that is made for everyday driving use that I’m aware of. But I’d also consider something like a Chevrolet Blazer or Tahoe simply because they’re more common and the if I needed a new radiator hose in the post apocalyptic world I could easily obtain one of them off another Chevy or GMC pickup with the same motor. How common a vehicle is to your area is something I think is important to consider when selecting your bug out vehicle.

Therefor the main specs I’m looking for would be:
    Comfortably seat 4 family members with their own exit door
    Means to carry a reasonable amount of cargo
    Heavy duty front and rear bumpers or brush guards
    Front winch
    Front and Rear Tow hooks
    Top rack for carrying extra cargo
    Lift kit making vehicle capable of driving over curbs or at least a 10″ log
    Tires that would handle off road conditions well but be too overly aggressive (wear out fast) on pavement

To further explore this topic I thought of what would be the best vehicle for staying near by your location in a post apocalyptic world. Once again I thought of commonality and availability and thought about go-carts. Most go-carts motors use the same brigs&stratton motor your push lawn mower does which would make repairs and replaceable parts easy to come by.

azurevirus

This is the one thing I havent decided on because I just dont want to part with the money until I feel the need to..Ive had a few 4wd vehicles in my camping hobby and they come in handy..but Ive never “offroaded” them..I tend to creep when in the woods..my fav 4wd was an 86 hardbody with a camper shell..it got good gas milage with the 4 cyl..and its short wheelbase got me through some tight places and still would do 70 mph down the highway with the big rubber..theres a couple of badassed chevs in town for sale..cheap too really , one is a shotbox thats been built..one ton axles..lift kits etc..asking 3500.00 but I can only imagine what..5-7 mpg maybe?…probably thats why they are for sale..I see just now on FOX oil hit 100 dollars a barrel as I type this.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

You can some good deals on the gas guzzling 4×4’s and especially the ones the ones that somebody has already spent the 1000s on to get lift kits and big mud tires do to the fact they’re so expensive to own and maintain.

DCortez

I have a crew cab, with 8′ bed & camper, 4wd, monster bumpers, that I’d head out in. The downside … It’s pretty big, easy to spot, and uses diesel.

But, it would fit my family, pets, good deal of gear, and could push a lot of things out of the way.

Winch and hooks would be a nice addition.

i have a city 4 wheel drive — Jeep Grand Cherokee and my full Bug out vehicle is a 4 door Dodge Ram with the Hemi 4 wheel drive

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@Tom Firmingham 576 wrote:

i have a city 4 wheel drive — Jeep Grand Cherokee and my full Bug out vehicle is a 4 door Dodge Ram with the Hemi 4 wheel drive

A few years ago I had a neighbor that had a awesome bugged out Jeep Grand Cherokee 4×4 that looked intimidating compared to my old S10 Blazer 4×4. Before I joined the army I was a Service Tech for Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep so I know that Hemi is more than capable of getting you out of dodge. LOL at the fact that you’ll be getting the hell out of dodge in a Dodge. But like I said I prefer Chevrolet myself.

azurevirus

Depending on how far one had to go of course there are many vehicles out there..one I would consider would be a utility 4wheeler..Ive had several over the yrs from the large 4×4 yamaha to the little 2 stroke 200 cc ..the reasons I like them are fairly obvious, decent milage..front and rear racks for some serious loads..quiet for the most part..pretty much can go anywhere and capable of decent speed..camo colors..accessories galore..2×4 vs 4×4..having had both..I cant justify the 4×4 that much over a 2×4..Ive never not been able to make it anywhere I wanted to get to on a 2×4..so, racks loaded up and your loaded BOB..add a small homemade trailer or even a motorcycle camper trailer and you are set for a few weeks of deep woods survival..get one used and they are reasonalble, I wouldnt buy a 500-700cc atv..I will stick to 400cc and smaller for the gas milage

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

A lot of people swear by the older Honda 4wheelers and from my experience both the older model honda’s and yahama’s was of good qaulity. I don’t own a 4wheeler have known and had many friends and family that do and since the 2000s and beyond my only experiences has been very limited with only Polaris brand ATVs. Honestly I’ve always wanted one of those 6 wheel atv’s that float on water and the wheels propel it slowly thru the water.

azurevirus

yes, your talking about the Argo Max..I had them send me a video on them and I was suprised at where they would go considering the lack of ground clearance..slow in the water..I mean zombie slow..but pretty impressive overall..they were going for 6k without available accessories at the time I think.

Alonso1

I’m wanting something older. I want a vehicle that would survive a Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP). Being that an EMP blast is a very real threat to our country, theoretically, vehicles with a computer, fuel injection, etc…would all be fried and worthless. Early 80’s and older vehicles without all the electronics should be OK, but I’m a gun guy not a car guy. Google will have better information on this that I will.

With this in mind, I want a 1970’s jeep or Bronco. If the end is a result of an EMP, my vehicle will work. If the end is a result of something else, my vehicle will still work.

otis302

I have a 1981 f150 short bed 4×4 with 35 inch tires I made duel shock mounts put a snorkle on it 300 ci 6 cyl. It can take me a lot of places it also has a 4 inch lift.I play with it when I can usualy on week ends not to bad on gas with the 4 speed a Cobra cb with a 6 foot antenna for when the phone has no service.I has the dura spark ignition no computor or fuel injection carry the spare parts I have updated coil, fuel pump,regulator and solinoidand a well stocked tool box.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Alonso,

I haven’t really bought into the whole the EMP threat yet. But the kind of vehicle you’re describing is much easier to work on and even if you didn’t have the knowledge it shouldn’t be hard to find somebody that does.

Otis,

As much of a chevy guy as I am it sounds like you got a nice set-up on that Ford! I’d be interesting in seeing some pics if you got them, but I’d advise you to blur out any license plates.

azurevirus

Alonso..those older super cool, theres a local guy who has one and its fixed up sweet , 302 automatic is a really good dependable combination that provides ample power for it

azurevirus

Otis302. Im leaning toward a utility atv quad,with a nice winch front and rear racks plus your backpack one could disappear into the woods for quite a stay..I lean toward this setup as I havent a place to go to or bug out to per say..If I had to leave, I would not have to go for more than 15 minutes to be in some serious hilly woods..also, if I had to go say to town (15 mi) I could make it no matter if abandoned cars or whatever blocked the road..substantial swamp land and many small trees would be my main obstacle but the swamps arent very deep..But as far as trucks go…what you have is definately gonna be a hard rig to beat..especially the way u have it fixed up

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I’m not sure I’d want to be one of the few people with a working vehicle in EMP scenario. I try to avoid anything that would make me more of target, kind of the same way many soldiers in the Vietnam war didn’t wear their K Pot (helmet) as the higher profile head gear made them a easier target.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.