Bug Out Vehicles

Home Forums Planning & Preparation Bug Out Vehicles

This topic contains 101 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  TeknaBuzz 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 102 total)
  • Author

otis302

Part of the beauty of my old Ford is there are many parts from 1981 to 1996 F150s that will interchange growing up in south Florida where its mostly sugar sand and mud you needed a 4x4and I agree a atv is probly the best if you are alone I had a honda 350m that I took across a 5 foot deep stream had a snorkle on that also, with a 20 rope and come along it was hard to stick.

azurevirus

If I remember from my car days the 300 inline 6 cyl ford was great on torque,,back in my dragracing days..when Chev vs Ford the Chevs would almost always win..but at the end of the day the most blown motors would be cheys..they were built more for higher rpm and more apt to blow where ford went the torque route less rpm more torque..Im talking pretty much stock motors..miss those days alot

Alonso1

I wonder about the EMP thing too. I’ve read a blast would not harm vehicles and other smaller electronics and then I’ve read all electronics will get fried…Gosh, I love the Internet. Well my bug out is hours away from where I reside so just incase things do get fried, I would need a vehicle to get my family out of Houston.

Otis, looks like you have it covered. I still have 2 more years of car notes before I can invest in a EMP vehicle. My wife tolerates the guns and reloading, but she would flip if I picked up another vehicle while we are still paying on one.

azurevirus

Ive read articles wheres theres certain things on your vehicle you can unplug to stop an EMP from damaging your vehicle..also theres something called a Faraday Cage one can build..ck with military mechanics to see whats done to military vehicles as I “heard” they were EMP proof

Gigabelly

We bought a 86 Army CUCV. These are what the Humvee replaced. Only has 55K miles on it with the 6.2L diesel. Biofuels will work, and I’ve stored all parts vulnerable to EMP (I hope) in faraday cages for EMP. they’re pretty tough and inexpensive

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@gigabelly 1616 wrote:

We bought a 86 Army CUCV. These are what the Humvee replaced. Only has 55K miles on it with the 6.2L diesel. Biofuels will work, and I’ve stored all parts vulnerable to EMP (I hope) in faraday cages for EMP. they’re pretty tough and inexpensive

I wouldn’t mind having a “retired” military vehicle especially a Humvee. They got some pretty cool ones for sale on this website:
    http://www.usmilitaryvehicles.com/

Gigabelly

For all things military vehicles, steelsoldiers.com is the best resource I’ve found

BugOutReview

Just recently picked up a 78 Dodge W150 shortbox (wish it was a chevy *sigh) with 6″ Lift and 35’s
    Wanting to put a soft shell on the bed.

Darkknight

Imo Jeep Wranger Unlimited would be the best Bug out vehicle.

00_Jackie

I have to use what I have available, which is a 2000 Ford F150 4X4 extended cab. It has off road pkg so it has the skid plates underneath.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Wife just started working about a month ago and we’ve been working with one vehicle for about a year now because I sold my Camaro awhile back to help my parents out and we was able to manage with just one vehicle until now. So I had been looking at getting a used Toyota Tocoma and we found a 2004 model that I liked but the bank wanted us to get something 2007 or newer so Saturday while looking at the used Tocoma’s at the Toyota dealership after realizing that we could get a brand new one for not much more than a pre-owned we decided on a new 2012 model its 2 wheel drive but jacked up like a 4×4 and I wanted 4×4 for just in case but the new Tocoma 4×4’s get about the same mileage I get from my full sized Chevy.

PhilTheBiker

[ATTACH=CONFIG]182[/ATTACH]

This is what I ride every day to work. In this photo you can see a little bit of snow. This vehicle will get me home so I can get the rest of my gear if I’m going to bug out or if I decide to bug in. I can ride it with a full pack, a tactical vest should I need to have access to a pistol quick, and even a holster for the shotgun like an old west cowboy. Traffic will never be an issue and my wife can ride her own bike. Backup, is a 4×4 suv, but that’s not really what I’m ever going to want to use. Living in the populated area of the Baltimore/Washington DC area traffic is going to suck. This bike doesn’t have a high top speed, about 100, but it can go just about anyplace. Range is about 90 miles, which is a draw back, but still within range of our bug out planned location.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@philthebiker 2343 wrote:

This is what I ride every day to work. In this photo you can see a little bit of snow. This vehicle will get me home so I can get the rest of my gear if I’m going to bug out or if I decide to bug in. I can ride it with a full pack, a tactical vest should I need to have access to a pistol quick, and even a holster for the shotgun like an old west cowboy. Traffic will never be an issue and my wife can ride her own bike. Backup, is a 4×4 suv, but that’s not really what I’m ever going to want to use. Living in the populated area of the Baltimore/Washington DC area traffic is going to suck. This bike doesn’t have a high top speed, about 100, but it can go just about anyplace. Range is about 90 miles, which is a draw back, but still within range of our bug out planned location.

Awesome and different than everybody else bug out vehicle so far! BTW, welcome to the community please take a minute and make a introduction thread so the rest of us can welcome you. 😎

azurevirus

Dual purpose bike and a 762×54 round..pretty good combination..that should take care of alot of problems you would run into..I love those dual purpose bikes

PhilTheBiker

@azurevirus 2355 wrote:

Dual purpose bike and a 762×54 round..pretty good combination..that should take care of alot of problems you would run into..I love those dual purpose bikes

The Mosin is not the weapon I would bring with me. I have other toys that would do a better job against zombies.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.