Bug Out Vehicles

Home Forums Planning & Preparation Bug Out Vehicles

This topic contains 101 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  TeknaBuzz 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #2895

    PhilTheBiker
    Moderator

    Can a forum mod make this thread sticky so others can post up their stuff?

    #2913

    tcindie
    Member

    This is a pretty subjective topic I think. It depends greatly on how much you need to carry with you when bugging out, how many people, how far you intend to go, etc.

    For my money I think I’d probably favor something small and decent on gas like a geo/chevy tracker. They’ve got a wider wheelbase and higher clearance than a jeep, and generally are available in 4WD.

    If you really just need something to get you out of dodge quickly and have pre-staged you long term gear at your bug out location (which would be smart), something like PhilTheBiker’s bike would be the best choice. A street legal dirt bike would be good on gas, get you around most traffic jams, and can handle most terrain.

    If you need to haul a bunch of gear, and want a better shot at your vehicle working after an EMP, then a mid-70’s or earlier diesel pickup would probably be the best choice.

    #2907

    Sharpe
    Member

    I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer, that’s my bug out vehicle, it gets around 20 miles to the gallon, always has a full tank of gas no matter what. In the back i have a Jack and spare tire, along with a Tire iron 2 towels, and a “Roadside Emergency kit” Which includes: First Aid kit, Flashlight with an extra set of batteries, Emergency blanket, gloves, can of fix a flat, Zipties (like the one cops put on people), Signal Cones and Jumper cables. Along with my bug out bag.

    #2911

    Armadillofz1
    Member

    I just sold my ultimate BOV. 1970 kaiser M35 deuce and a half. I miss it already. But I’ll have another some day. Ran on any flammable liquid. I fueled it with waste motor oil. Ran like a champ.

    49a44e39.jpg

    #2908

    mdsuave13
    Member

    [ATTACH=CONFIG]249[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]251[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]250[/ATTACH]

    i think im covered….

    #2909

    mdsuave13
    Member

    1973 kaiser 5 ton xm820 expansible with 855 ci cummins diesel, 6×6, to be modded into a super camper
    1997 grand cherokee 4×4 with much done, arb bumper, skid plates, roof rack full size spare, snorkel
    2008 klr 650 very well farkled with hard plelican luggage, carries insane loads and will go anywhere…

    #2912

    Armadillofz1
    Member

    For some reason I thought your 820 had radials on it like mine.

    #2910

    mdsuave13
    Member

    @armadillofz1 3866 wrote:

    For some reason I thought your 820 had radials on it like mine.

    nopers… oh well lol.. ive lost handling lol

    #2906

    Bonehed927
    Member

    I am prepping my subaru wagon as my BOV. AWD is great in mud, water and snow. It holds supplies like a clown car and I can stuff my family of 5 in it as well. 30mpg doesnt hurt either.

    #2896

    PhilTheBiker
    Moderator

    Here is a photo from last summer of a three day trip. Each bike has a range of just over 150 miles on the highway, 120 miles or so in stop and go traffic. Not the best off road bikes, but they can handle some basic off road requirements. What makes them not good for off road is the weight and the tires. But if something happens both of these bikes can cruise at 120mph+ traffic permitting with a top speed of somewhere between 150 and 170.

    [ATTACH=CONFIG]390[/ATTACH]

    #2914

    I have a 95 explorer right now its not a bug out suv because my wife drives it untill we get a new one. But the reason I bought it is because the guy had a new transmission water pump and timing belt done in the last 3 years. It does leak a little oil but its old what do expect, it has 20 inch off road tires and they are almost brand new so that a nice thing, when we do get a second car i plan on keeping it and putting a lift kit and new suspension. Does any body have any good ideas for a brush guard and winches?

    #2897

    PhilTheBiker
    Moderator

    @Bryant Brawner 5600 wrote:

    I have a 95 explorer right now its not a bug out suv because my wife drives it untill we get a new one. But the reason I bought it is because the guy had a new transmission water pump and timing belt done in the last 3 years. It does leak a little oil but its old what do expect, it has 20 inch off road tires and they are almost brand new so that a nice thing, when we do get a second car i plan on keeping it and putting a lift kit and new suspension. Does any body have any good ideas for a brush guard and winches?

    There are some good quality off road shops that can show you some good brush guards. I know Advanced Auto sells them as well, but I don’t know if it’s cheap steel from China or if it’s quality stuff. As for a winch I know that Quadratec ( http://www.quadratec.com/ ) is all about Jeeps, but check out some of the winches they sell. Then do some youtube searches. Waren comes to mind as a brand that I’ve heard of, but that could just be advertising monkeys telling me they are the top of the line. Good luck and take photos of that truck after you hook it up!

    #2892

    00_Jackie
    Member

    Has anyone heard about the covers for your electronics on vehicles in the event of EMP’s. A guy on twitter said he bought one for his vehicle at a gun show. Said it goes over the electronic area and has special tape for the rest. I’m a little confused by it because it sounds like only the side, under the hood by the firewall is protected. EMPs can get it from the other side as well, right? Anyone know about this?

    #2898

    PhilTheBiker
    Moderator

    @00_jackie 5632 wrote:

    Has anyone heard about the covers for your electronics on vehicles in the event of EMP’s. A guy on twitter said he bought one for his vehicle at a gun show. Said it goes over the electronic area and has special tape for the rest. I’m a little confused by it because it sounds like only the side, under the hood by the firewall is protected. EMPs can get it from the other side as well, right? Anyone know about this?

    Sounds like the guy was just sold some 50 cent tin foil and told it would protect him from aliens reading his brain. Unless a vehicle has specifically been made to withstand EMP’s I don’t think you can just cover a few items and then expect it to work after an EMP. It would be far easier to build a car garage to protect your car than try to cover the mile or so of wires that are part of the electrical system. After all, if you have a car radio doesn’t that connect to the battery? and the batter connects to the starter, and the starter has a wire to the electronic computer? I don’t fully understand how an EMP works, but I know how electricity works. Everything in a car is connected, so you have to ‘wrap’ the entire car or not have anything that has a single circuit board in it.

    #2860

    TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

    @philthebiker 5610 wrote:

    There are some good quality off road shops that can show you some good brush guards. I know Advanced Auto sells them as well, but I don’t know if it’s cheap steel from China or if it’s quality stuff. As for a winch I know that Quadratec ( http://www.quadratec.com/ ) is all about Jeeps, but check out some of the winches they sell. Then do some youtube searches. Waren comes to mind as a brand that I’ve heard of, but that could just be advertising monkeys telling me they are the top of the line. Good luck and take photos of that truck after you hook it up!

    I like the strength and durability of the steel Ranch Hand bumpers & brush guards but they also add lots of weight to the vehicle. LOL sometimes I wish I had one on the front of my truck when I’m trying to get out the parking lot at work.

    As far winches from what I hear Warn winches are pretty good and they make those ranch hand bumpers that are designed for winches with rollers for the winch cable already on the bumper. You might even be able to find one that comes with the winch already installed.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.