Bug Out Vehicles

Home Forums Planning & Preparation Bug Out Vehicles

This topic contains 101 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  TeknaBuzz 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 102 total)
  • Author

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@stocker 6871 wrote:

Well if I had to pick and I had the funds this would be my BOV. Think this would do the job for some E/E, raid missions.
    http://www.fourwheeler.com/featuredvehicles/129_1201_local_motors_darpa_flypmode/photo_09.html

(image)

Thoughts?

I thought it was awesome til I read the part about the fiberglass skin. I need the up armored version with at least 1/4 inch plate and some bullet resistant glass to have some ability to withstand small arms fire. I also couldn’t find a price tag on this bad boy.

Stocker
    Participant

Armor would be nice but with that comes a bigger engine and a heftier price tag. The hatches are what I’m digging, the pullout tailgate not so much but I’m sure that it would come in handy for some tasks. Found this vehicle in a Four Wheeler magazine and thought I’d give it a look see, from what I can derive it’s still in the production phase and hasn’t been put on the market yet. If someone else finds anymore details let me know. The magazine issue is January 2012, so there has to be some developments to the story. Wonder if the wife would like to pull up to the Commisary in one of these?

azurevirus

Awesome looking I will say that..I rem seeing a regular dodge Tradesman cargo van yrs ago ..it had been converted to 4wd..to me that means mobility off road to a point..shelter, room for considerable supplies ,it was a novelty at the time.. I havent seen a 4wd cargo van since then I dont think..wouldnt mind having one now actually

JulioTheSavage

Since we are going more fantasy extreme I want this. Read an articles about the testing http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/peolandsystems/jltv.aspx

http://usgovinfo.about.com/b/2012/09/12/humvee-is-out-better-armored-jltv-is-in.htm

[video=youtube_share;lU5mcL13FI8]http://youtu.be/lU5mcL13FI8[/video]

Cowgirl

Our bugout vehicle is a 1/2 ton Chevy pickup with topper. It is heavy duty enough to pull our smaller horse trailer with two horses and haul our BOBs and dogs. It is more fuel efficient than the 3/4 ton truck, so even though it cannot go as fast with a trailer (because it does not have as much stopping power with a big load behind), it can go farther. Ideally, though, we would have a 3/4 ton 4×4 truck with a small-ish V-8 and an extra fuel tank, and if possible, that will be the next truck we buy.

However, the vehicle I drive most is a Subaru outback. I have a BOB in it at all times, and it is conceivably possible that it would be the vehicle in which I would find myself in a SHTF situation. It is all-wheel drive and gets good gas mileage. It is surprisingly capable off-road, though low-slung. It cannot carry as much cargo, but it is amazing how much one can stuff into it! If you were not needing to evacuate large animals, this would be an EXCELLENT choice.

azurevirus

This reminds me when I worked at a gas station decades ago..a young woman pulled in to gas up with a horse trailer behind her pickup that had been professionally converted into a camper..I mean it was cool..had the pink curtains in windows , new paint etc..I was impressed to say the least..she had sold her horses and decided to do this with the trailer..I did get a glimpse inside .. sort of narrow but besides that..it was as good if not better than any camper I have seen and no doubt alot sturdier

jmtnvalley

Well, if I can’t get my 2006 Chevy 4×4 2500HD Duramax going, I’ll use my 3 1-horsepower vehicles… my wife’s horses.

Andrew

This is a pretty cool Ford. He put alot of money into it though.

Ford-Raptor-SVT-Raptor-SuperCrew-TruckVault.jpg

Ford-Raptor-SVT-Raptor-SuperCrew-Profile.jpg

DerekUtley

Your right, toyotas ARE good on gas weather it be a v6-v8, they all have the ecco fuel boots to give them that extra fuel mile. To me though, I would stick with GM vehicles. 1, I know ALOT bout GM vehicles and what part(s) wear out the most or fastest. 2, Toyotas have been having problems with the tran missions, rear drive box, recalls, most of their parts are imported. 3, GM are built more durable and stronger and alittle more reliable. Think bout this. What does the military use or who do they have to make them vechiles to be used in overseas operations? You think it is some Japan company like Kia or Toyota, etc? No, its the local American auto companys (GM, Dodge, Ford, Cummings, Hummer, etc)

JulioTheSavage

@derekutley 10053 wrote:

Your right, toyotas ARE good on gas weather it be a v6-v8, they all have the ecco fuel boots to give them that extra fuel mile. To me though, I would stick with GM vehicles. 1, I know ALOT bout GM vehicles and what part(s) wear out the most or fastest. 2, Toyotas have been having problems with the tran missions, rear drive box, recalls, most of their parts are imported. 3, GM are built more durable and stronger and alittle more reliable. Think bout this. What does the military use or who do they have to make them vechiles to be used in overseas operations? You think it is some Japan company like Kia or Toyota, etc? No, its the local American auto companys (GM, Dodge, Ford, Cummings, Hummer, etc)

No offense but Kia is Korean. Yes we do use US manufactuers for our Military vehicles but for the most part we don’t use GM,Dodge or Ford. Most of the vehicles don’t come from the big three with exception of Hummer which originally didn’t belong to GM. Maybe back in the day but not now. Alot of manufactueres have sold off their defense divisions. Shoot some Special Force units use Land Rovers and Mercedes. but it is alot more complicated than people realize.

snowninja62

@andrew.anderson 9439 wrote:

This is a pretty cool Ford. He put alot of money into it though.

Ford-Raptor-SVT-Raptor-SuperCrew-TruckVault.jpg

Ford-Raptor-SVT-Raptor-SuperCrew-Profile.jpg

where can i find link to make these kinda midofications to my truck? and similar to other vehicles????

JulioTheSavage

I’m not a Ford guy but check out this beautiful beast. Ford X-650 XUV. They have different versions also.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]969[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]970[/ATTACH]

Andrew

@snowninja62 10556 wrote:

where can i find link to make these kinda midofications to my truck? and similar to other vehicles????

The guy that owns that one lives somewhere is Cali. Can’t remember where.

snowninja62

think i could possibly get ahold of him or the company?

zombiepirate

WoW!! That is quite a XUV And I bet it comes with a Quite HUGE!!! price I think I will stick with my 1994 Toyota 4×4 sr5 extra cab modified with Baja bumpers, 10.000 pound winches front and rear, 33×9.50 swampers, fortage kit, fitted with a 1982 Toyota chinook camper & A duel wheel one ton rear end. I am working on bolt on window screens made from expanded steel, tough but still light I carry 4 spare tires 2 front 2 rear and have onboard air, a home made tire changer and a full stock of tire plugs, bead sealer,fix-a-flat, tire bead seating straps, Etc. Toyota”s are every place there found in back yard’s, Junk yard’s hell in a pinch there at Walmart :rolleyes: So $ spent on some XUV with A HUGE $ tag would get you a new XUV but spend just part of that kind of $ and build your own!!!! Don’t wait start right now. “OH what a feeling” Toyota!!!!

“If you have ammo keep it dry and to yourself”

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.