Bug Out Vehicles

Home Forums Planning & Preparation Bug Out Vehicles

This topic contains 101 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  TeknaBuzz 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 102 total)
  • Author

JulioTheSavage

@zombiepirate 11293 wrote:

WoW!! That is quite a XUV And I bet it comes with a Quite HUGE!!! price I think I will stick with my 1994 Toyota 4×4 sr5 extra cab modified with Baja bumpers, 10.000 pound winches front and rear, 33×9.50 swampers, fortage kit, fitted with a 1982 Toyota chinook camper & A duel wheel one ton rear end. I am working on bolt on window screens made from expanded steel, tough but still light I carry 4 spare tires 2 front 2 rear and have onboard air, a home made tire changer and a full stock of tire plugs, bead sealer,fix-a-flat, tire bead seating straps, Etc. Toyota”s are every place there found in back yard’s, Junk yard’s hell in a pinch there at Walmart :rolleyes: So $ spent on some XUV with A HUGE $ tag would get you a new XUV but spend just part of that kind of $ and build your own!!!! Don’t wait start right now. “OH what a feeling” Toyota!!!!

“If you have ammo keep it dry and to yourself”

Your Toyota is a great choice. A very reliable truck.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@zombiepirate 11293 wrote:

WoW!! That is quite a XUV And I bet it comes with a Quite HUGE!!! price I think I will stick with my 1994 Toyota 4×4 sr5 extra cab modified with Baja bumpers, 10.000 pound winches front and rear, 33×9.50 swampers, fortage kit, fitted with a 1982 Toyota chinook camper & A duel wheel one ton rear end. I am working on bolt on window screens made from expanded steel, tough but still light I carry 4 spare tires 2 front 2 rear and have onboard air, a home made tire changer and a full stock of tire plugs, bead sealer,fix-a-flat, tire bead seating straps, Etc. Toyota”s are every place there found in back yard’s, Junk yard’s hell in a pinch there at Walmart :rolleyes: So $ spent on some XUV with A HUGE $ tag would get you a new XUV but spend just part of that kind of $ and build your own!!!! Don’t wait start right now. “OH what a feeling” Toyota!!!!

“If you have ammo keep it dry and to yourself”

@juliothesavage 11299 wrote:

Your Toyota is a great choice. A very reliable truck.

I’m also a fan of the older 3.4l v6 Toyota tocoma’s and 4runners but the newer toyota’s have different block for the V6’s. I have a 2012 tocoma but in the 2.7l 4 cylinder (which is the same block they’ve been running for quite awhile now), I love the truck just hate that its automatic. But in stop & go traffic working a clutch really aggravates my ankle. I got the slap stick for passing at highway speeds but it does little good taking off from an on ramp, here in Texas if you ain’t moving fast enough you’ll get pushed off into a ditch! If you’re going to have something that size in a 4 banger you really need a 5 speed manual transmission for the added torque. Plus I drive 85-90mph to work and 75-80mph on the way home so I really don’t benefit much from reduced fuel consumption.

zombiepirate

The Toyota is very reliable 300.000 miles and some if cared for most will see that kind of mileage and never look back. As for the automatic I have to agree with you Teknabuzz, I had a 92 4 runner with the 3.4 automatic with overdrive and i really did not like it even on the highway. around town was ok but felt like it had a anchor tied to it’s ass :p So down the road it went. It became the 94 SR5 I have now with a 5 speed, ahhh Much better!!! Try and go up a few tire sizes with a automatic, Wont work well 5 speed low range the truck never knows the difference. But I do have to say Here in Maine we don’t often see much above 70 mph max or we see the dudes in the blue suits. Plus were in no hurry, yup aint got nothing to do today.

“If you got ammo keep it dry and to yourself”

Otis and TeknaBuzz………… I have a 1999 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 V8 4 door. Front end lifted. Getting back end lifted soon. Cobra CB with a 7ft whip. Semi aggressive tires meaning good on highway and great in mud/sand. A month ago I put her in a long tractor turn around track. about 2 1/2 feet deep. She was a beast. I put my trust in her to lay some trees down when it comes time.

PhilTheBiker

Work in progress. Just got it running.

I have a few ideas for it. Not really for ‘bugging out’ since I’ll probably bug in, but I would like to use it for rabbit hunting. You know, go ride in the woods with a rifle on my back. See a rabbit, shoot it, cook dinner 🙂 It’s also a fun way to explore some of the back country. I scared about 10 deer today trekking through the woods. Absolute blast. I probably only road about 3 or 4 miles, maybe a bit more. I’m wanting to do a lot more exploring around my local area now that I have this.

I have some saddle bags to go on it. I need to get some plastics to replace parts that are broken. Anyway. Here it is!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1497[/ATTACH]

BEGIN PGP MESSAGE

Version: GnuPG v2.0.20 (MingW32)

hQGMA4blm4lFO4ktAQv/VfZfteMMRa+lXy0dIXuIg4X5aK5TH069v18/hH8zlyNv
    /j/2Eh2Sfe/fvmA7wqKO0ObA0iJOUWt7h4lyHMiH/QmEdUf4Q9kou8O5dNVkT1TX
    CArwdmK14dtd74lm0GspV/O5jOvXezcn21/qlYqnisJclegMWz6j0bRazJcyIToa
    XfC0GNuvR0IxfiODUNGd7qGAkfZzEzeqAR9zLuf5veWvu+rIAiROt05RpO06XStX
    l/5b4oY1Wkd++8jCoV41+fUIshj736pOPDUGvRHjLvlffmt1KGtKTug1Rqgn4LrG
    3dryz7WcjzY/fQCEvrmNh9nGfwWUMB6LNS1FCxWDApes21x+3ObNLDNBlV5oCTb5
    gJySzyiJw9o4N+GMCZv6ltZiWl4pvMZlpoFsMT6q3jNP1iOF+iWRJHAxFLqhnLgG
    9DodkGy3UYz4EIxMD5a6XF0UY4z0TWFiDKXVFt5MV4KsUC4gNOdoESx/tD55OQ7w
    qqaQP8jhL/jSM8s3NYs80nMBJCsBrNtKeIhHNvAzOO2TxvZzWXBqGdti4sWAwEgw
    b6nEbzwaCFRFdnjsmmATgXHDPKeJqjYph01lnvzzCi7/cK7RFd4/cgSicHVqH8J8
    ombCP0RL71qakHSP+tTR4mG1PXxx6ZHRDSD3G4/pKEOwWh6u
    =9DZ5

END PGP MESSAGE

PhilTheBiker

15 minutes up the road from my house.. or should I say, i was on the road for 1 minute and spent the next 15 minutes getting to this location. What a great view. No one around. Clearly hunting territory because of all of the tree stands and cut out paths. Someone has a tractor and keeps it mowed down some. The only gear I had with me was my camelbak and my riding gear as well as my cell phone. I know, not the best but I’m still working on some basic carry items for when I’m off roading, it will come soon!

Till then, I was able to enjoy the view!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1507[/ATTACH]

shottist

Does your riding gear include a ccw pistol? It has to be reachable with your left hand, you know. 🙂 I just switch front pants pockets, rig and all. As a kid, I used to shoot at cans, etc, from the bike. then one day I hit an osage orange “hedgeball”,and I went down. fired 3 uncontroled shots as I did so, so I quit that stuff. 🙂 was using a Llama .22, scaled down copy of the 1911, no ambi safety, single action.

JulioTheSavage

@shottist 14368 wrote:

Does your riding gear include a ccw pistol? It has to be reachable with your left hand, you know. 🙂 I just switch front pants pockets, rig and all. As a kid, I used to shoot at cans, etc, from the bike. then one day I hit an osage orange “hedgeball”,and I went down. fired 3 uncontroled shots as I did so, so I quit that stuff. 🙂 was using a Llama .22, scaled down copy of the 1911, no ambi safety, single action.

Good thing you or nobody else got hurt.

shottist

yep, it needs to be a DA type of trigger, SA auto is flat too dangerous for it, even if it does have an ambidextrous safety. The term “grasping at straws’ as in drowning, is very much applicable to doing down with a bike. Sheesh.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Phil,

I know you know a lot about bikes do you have a preference in dirt bikes? Growing up I had a friend who’s dad raced dirt bikes, he had a yahama 175 that raced if I remember correctly and my friend had YZ80 with some engine work, power bands and some aftermarket exhaust and at 14 and about 90lbs they clocked me doing 74mph on it. Despite my love for BMX it was that bike that taught me I’m better off on 4 wheels.

PhilTheBiker

@teknabuzz 14388 wrote:

Phil,

I know you know a lot about bikes do you have a preference in dirt bikes? Growing up I had a friend who’s dad raced dirt bikes, he had a yahama 175 that raced if I remember correctly and my friend had YZ80 with some engine work, power bands and some aftermarket exhaust and at 14 and about 90lbs they clocked me doing 74mph on it. Despite my love for BMX it was that bike that taught me I’m better off on 4 wheels.

My preference is running 🙂 but I would say it depends on the function. The 225 in my picture about seems to be able to go anyplace. I just drove through Texas from Texarkana to El Pasco. I would recommend a quad out here. To many sink holes, rocks, bushes, and what not to ride a dirt bike for me. If I did ride a bike it would be a four stroke 100cc to 250cc. If I wanted a street legal dirt bike I would look at a Suzuki DRZ400E or a Honda. Make sure they have dirt tires instead of street tires. You could also look at a multi purpose bike like a KLR 650.

Shottist, one would be an idiot to shoot from a motorcycle. If you are on the bike ride away. Yes I can shoot with my left hand. Yes I carry a full size glock on my right hip open carry when on the bike. Some times I cc in the inside pocket zipped with my sub compact glock. It makes no since to shoot from my bike. My street bike will do 170mph (yes I practice going that fast on closed circuit race tracks). My dirt bike will climb mountains (see photo above). Why the hell would I shoot from a moving bike and risk hitting someone I don’t want to shoot or worse lose control of my bike while shooting instead of getting away.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@philthebiker 14458 wrote:

My preference is running 🙂 but I would say it depends on the function. The 225 in my picture about seems to be able to go anyplace. I just drove through Texas from Texarkana to El Pasco. I would recommend a quad out here. To many sink holes, rocks, bushes, and what not to ride a dirt bike for me. If I did ride a bike it would be a four stroke 100cc to 250cc. If I wanted a street legal dirt bike I would look at a Suzuki DRZ400E or a Honda. Make sure they have dirt tires instead of street tires. You could also look at a multi purpose bike like a KLR 650.

Shottist, one would be an idiot to shoot from a motorcycle. If you are on the bike ride away. Yes I can shoot with my left hand. Yes I carry a full size glock on my right hip open carry when on the bike. Some times I cc in the inside pocket zipped with my sub compact glock. It makes no since to shoot from my bike. My street bike will do 170mph (yes I practice going that fast on closed circuit race tracks). My dirt bike will climb mountains (see photo above). Why the hell would I shoot from a moving bike and risk hitting someone I don’t want to shoot or worse lose control of my bike while shooting instead of getting away.

What you came to Texas? Next time you plan a trip to Texas give me a heads up! 😎 But Texarkana to El Paso means you really got to see the big difference in the various environments of the state from the piney woods of the east, the rolling hills in central Texas and the desert in the west.

Totally off topic but did you like the state, and what did you think of the different areas?

Andrew

Life of luxury Bug Out Vehcile

2249045_700b.jpg

alwayscross

Now that is awesome! Wouldn’t feel safe on the bike though, to easily pulled off.

Andrew

This trailer is cool. Overpriced, but cool. Designed by a NASA engineer to use every available space. I first heard about it in the July 2013 issue of Outside magazine.

buggin-out_fe.jpg

It’s easy to get caught up in appearances. Bold designs and fancy accessories are certainly to be appreciated. But that doesn’t mean they’re practical. So when Garrett Finney decided to build a pop-up trailer that was closer to a tent than an RV to tote his family around, he leaned on a decade of experience working for NASA. As senior architect for the Habitability Design Center, which helped devise the International Space Station’s interiors, Finney was intimately familiar with close quarters.

“Most architects and designers don’t know what they’re doing when a space gets really small,” says Finney. “They don’t know the difference between a 36-inch wheelchair-accessible doorway and a 22- or a 21-inch one.” So he built a mock-up of the trailer in his offices, then spent days bumping into table corners and counter edges to identify trouble spots. Then he fixed them.

After that, Finney turned to maximizing functionality, taking a page from the design of the space station, where, in zero gravity, every surface is created equal. A spine supports the trailer’s roof and connects to ribs that hold up the walls. Interior attach points on the skeleton can be used to hang everything from bunk beds and cargo nets to a pull-up bar. The ceiling, walls, and floor are all treated as functional spaces. The result, which he dubbed the Cricket, is the most thoughtfully crafted pop-top camper ever devised.

Finney began rolling out production models earlier this year (starting price: $16,750). Options include a stove, beds, a 12-volt fridge, air-conditioning, and an outdoor shower. Even with all of them, a Cricket tops out at only 1,400 pounds, which means that even a four-cylinder Subaru has more than enough towing power for liftoff.

Deisgners webstite

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.