Bug Out Vehicles

Home Forums Planning & Preparation Bug Out Vehicles

This topic contains 101 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  TeknaBuzz 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 91 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • Author

Andrew

bajarider

Caterpillar 740 articulated 6×6 off road truck.

Not exactly sure I would be using this to bug out, its would be more of a zombie clearing vehicle. I might be totally wrong on this, but properly protected with some expanded steel, or sheet steel with vision blocks cut out, it would be a fairly decent “poor mans tank”

Call me crazy, but they are easy to come across on construction projects, they are automatics, and usually have a top speed of 35-45 mph. The company I work for has a small fleet of them, plus we also store @40,000 gallons of diesel at our main office. If you are fairly handy with a welder, it has attachment points that you could add a “cow catcher” for pushing stranded cars out of the way. Cut some firing slits in the bed, and you could comfortably haul a platoon back there. Set a 1000 gallon fuel tank in the bed, fill it up and you have just extended the range a considerable bit.

Against your average slow moving zombie? It should do quite well. I never understood why people run from them, if it was me, make some noise, gather a crowd, then go back and forth till you have run over them enough to make zombie juice.

In a SHTF situation, up armor it to protect the engine, fuel tank and driver, and it would be pretty successful against your average bad guys. It takes a fairly large caliber bullet to get through the rubber on the tires, so as long as you protect the vitals, and don’t get crazy.

So, grab you one of these, find some like minded friends, and there you go, instant convoy lead vehicle or Armored personnel vehicle.

Now to find some like minded people who don’t think I am crazy for “allocating” one of these after TEOTWAWKI. 😀

Scythewinder

If I were sixteen and could drive, it be using a black f-150 with a camper.As for a family, Usually I advocate for the kind of truck that is two doors but seats five, but due to the need to bug out, I’d take a four door. If it were just me and my best friend, I’d take a normal two seater. Both trucks would need to be four wheel drive.

In the camper I’d have a mountain bike for nature movement and a skate/long/pennyboard for urban, since I can move quickly and ditch it when I need to.

otis302

My old bug out vehicle died so after looking at Craigslist so much l was getting cross eyed and calling for used trucks I went to NC Monday and bought another old Ford since I been working on them for over 30 yrs and the fact that 1981 to 1996 a lot of parts interchange this one had a Uniden CB whip antenna new heater carb and fuel pump and in the ass end of the 8.8 a fresh locker so far put a new temp gage changed the alt, voltage reg and just a lot of PMreventitive Maint. it has new 31 inch tires soon to have 35″s and it has 93000 miles documented good compression shifts smooth front end is as tight as can be all for $1500.00 it has the 300 ci. 6 cylinder. Its some work but it also brings, me back building another truck, every bodys happiness comes in different shapes and sizes.[ATTACH=CONFIG]2546[/ATTACH]

otis302

Spent the day putting on new brakes rebuilding front drive shaft new distributor going through the locker got some 33/12.50/15″s 10 valve shocks redid the ignition wired up a second battery [ATTACH=CONFIG]2562[/ATTACH] as sore as a old guy can get but when I am done it wont be pretty but it will get me most places those pretty new trucks cant

Andrew

Living In A Garbage Truck

Andrew

Andrew

PhilTheBiker

Some oddities about the conversion of the utility trailer.

1) why would you have a portable ice maker to make ice for your cooler? If you are generating enough power for ice then you are probably generating enough power for a fridge.
    2) how are you getting out if someone walks up and locks your side door. ie. actually puts a lock on it. You can’t get out the back and you’ve closed up the top vent that most trailers have.
    3) i’m pretty sure that all pipes will freeze and break, even if they are flex pipes. Drain it when the winter comes, especially that little water filter thing before the pump.

Did I miss anything else?

Andrew

I am not sure if you missed anything but I thought the same thing about the icemaker and the pipes.

Accoding to me a bug out vehicle should be like which is good for driving and can carry the good amount of things with others options. Ford Super Duty F-550 truck is a good bug out vehicale option. It contains solar power system, water storage tank, filtration system, huge fuel tank, propane free appliances and many others things. The body of the vehical is strong and the tyres are addptive according to the situation. I do not think there is any other vehical can compete this.

PhilTheBiker

@Signal survival 21269 wrote:

Accoding to me a bug out vehicle should be like which is good for driving and can carry the good amount of things with others options. Ford Super Duty F-550 truck is a good bug out vehicale option. It contains solar power system, water storage tank, filtration system, huge fuel tank, propane free appliances and many others things. The body of the vehical is strong and the tyres are addptive according to the situation. I do not think there is any other vehical can compete this.

I agree to an extent.
    If your bug out vehicle is a ‘live in’ vehicle then everything you mentioned is very important.

If you are bug out vehicle is just to get you to a bug out location then it needs to be one that can handle the terrain that you will be traveling to.

Welcome to the community! We hope to hear more feedback from you Mr. Survival!

Viewing 12 posts - 91 through 102 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.