Canned Rabbit

Home Forums Homesteading Canned Rabbit

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  PhilTheBiker 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

PhilTheBiker

So I butchered some of our rabbits and decided to can them.

I deboned the rabbit and bagged it. Put it in the fridge for a few hours to rest.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2591[/ATTACH]

Next I placed the rabbit into HOT pint mason jars with 1 teaspoon of salt. That’s it, nothing special. Pushed the rabbit meat into the jars to get out any air bubbles and left 1/2 inch of head space.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2592[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2593[/ATTACH]

Placed them in the pressure cooker. After the lid was on I let it steam for 5 – 10 minutes, then capped it. Brought the pressure up to 10 pounds and then set the timer for 75 minutes.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2594[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2595[/ATTACH]

That was it.

Now, a few days later my wife made an amazing meal using some canned rabbit. When I opened the mason jar the first thing I noticed was that it smelled EXACTLY like canned chicken. Absolutely amazing smell. Since it has technically already been cooked I could have eaten it right out of the jar.

She cooked up some mashed potatoes (potatoes from our garden were used!) and then heated up the rabbit. She added a little corn starch to the rabbit as it cooked to make a gravy. Notice that there looks to be water in the pan, we did not add any water, that’s all natural from the canning process. She also added some pepper BUT not salt since the rabbit was canned with salt.

We then served the rabbit over mashed potatoes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2596[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2597[/ATTACH]

98% of this meal was harvested from our back yard and was absolutely amazing.

Andrew

That is awesome.

firemedic4

@philthebiker 20494 wrote:

So I butchered some of our rabbits and decided to can them.

I deboned the rabbit and bagged it. Put it in the fridge for a few hours to rest.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2591[/ATTACH]

Next I placed the rabbit into HOT pint mason jars with 1 teaspoon of salt. That’s it, nothing special. Pushed the rabbit meat into the jars to get out any air bubbles and left 1/2 inch of head space.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2592[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2593[/ATTACH]

Placed them in the pressure cooker. After the lid was on I let it steam for 5 – 10 minutes, then capped it. Brought the pressure up to 10 pounds and then set the timer for 75 minutes.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2594[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2595[/ATTACH]

That was it.

Now, a few days later my wife made an amazing meal using some canned rabbit. When I opened the mason jar the first thing I noticed was that it smelled EXACTLY like canned chicken. Absolutely amazing smell. Since it has technically already been cooked I could have eaten it right out of the jar.

She cooked up some mashed potatoes (potatoes from our garden were used!) and then heated up the rabbit. She added a little corn starch to the rabbit as it cooked to make a gravy. Notice that there looks to be water in the pan, we did not add any water, that’s all natural from the canning process. She also added some pepper BUT not salt since the rabbit was canned with salt.

We then served the rabbit over mashed potatoes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2596[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2597[/ATTACH]

98% of this meal was harvested from our back yard and was absolutely amazing.

I got hungry just reading that!

PhilTheBiker

@firemedic4 20503 wrote:

I got hungry just reading that!

I just got hungry reviewing your comment and then seeing the amazing food again!

Wife just made of Buffalo ‘Chicken’ Dip. WOWZERS, amazing. we’ve done the chunked rabbit before but this time we used the canned rabbit. It turned out more like shredded rabbit rather than chunked rabbit. While I prefer the chunked rabbit the shredded was just as good!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.