Home Forums Gear & Equipment CB Radio

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  snowninja62 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

snowninja62

easily portable and transferable, can reach distances of 60-150 miles if u get the very powerful ones, witha decent antenna available at just about any truckstop 🙂 and with a high watt amplifier, powerful cb and powerful antenna, then you can reach distances of 300+ miles, and from mountain tops near doubles your distance, ideas, comments, questions and observations ? 🙂

PhilTheBiker

Legal CB’s are limited to 4 watt output by FCC regulation. To use anything beyond that is technically breaking the law.

Because CB’s are essentially HF radios, yes, you could talk 100 – 500+ miles, but you may not be able to talk to someone 15 miles away from you. Imagine that, you are in Washington DC. You can talk to someone in New York City, but you can’t talk to someone just 5 miles away from you in Silver Spring Maryland.

I recommend if you want true long range communications that you get yourself a ham radio license and get the right equipment.

If you want to talk to people within line of site 5 – 10 miles then CB’s are fine.l

snowninja62

actually my dad had a guy in GA help us with the long and short range mod, he had a breaker or something installed, he flips a few switches turns off amplifier and lower the watt output and allows for anything under 25 miles 🙂

PhilTheBiker

@snowninja62 10056 wrote:

actually my dad had a guy in GA help us with the long and short range mod, he had a breaker or something installed, he flips a few switches turns off amplifier and lower the watt output and allows for anything under 25 miles 🙂

Yes, but transmitting with the switch on to use the amp breaks the law. If there are no laws, then obviously it doesn’t matter.

snowninja62

very good point sir…..but hardly anyone follows laws when it comes to ham and cb radios….i know that much personally 🙂 but u do have a good point thank u

PhilTheBiker

Actually, the FCC has and will crack down on illegal use of Ham Radio frequencies. In fact, ham operators are encouraged to find violators, use directional finding equipment, and direct the FCC to there door step. as for CB operators, it will continue and in most cases will never have a fine be brought.

Andrew

@philthebiker 10565 wrote:

….. ham operators are encouraged to find violators, use directional finding equipment, and direct the FCC to there door step. as for CB operators, it will continue and in most cases will never have a fine be brought.

Who would turn folks in?

PhilTheBiker

CB radio no one will turn you in. Ham radio everyone with a license will turn you in, especially if you are on frequencies that you are not authorized for. There are clubs that run direction finding games to hunt down illegal transmissions.

Andrew

@philthebiker 10635 wrote:

Ham radio everyone with a license will turn you in, especially if you are on frequencies that you are not authorized for. There are clubs that run direction finding games to hunt down illegal transmissions.

Is it that big of a deal?

PhilTheBiker

@andrew.anderson 10650 wrote:

Is it that big of a deal?

Ham operators don’t want our airwaves to end up like CB channels. So yes it does matter. It’s also easy to get a license, but the info you study will make you a better operator.

snowninja62

so basically they just want to play it safe and keep there channels nice n quiet or private in some cases? …..sounds kinda like that

PhilTheBiker

@snowninja62 10855 wrote:

so basically they just want to play it safe and keep there channels nice n quiet or private in some cases? …..sounds kinda like that

Not really like that at all. On CB radios it’s not uncommon for you to be having a conversation and then for someone to blast over your conversation and not care that you can no longer communicate with the person you where talking to. Especially in larger cities like LA, Chicago, Miami. Ham radio operators normally respect other people and there communications. We wait till they are done or we break in and ask to make a quick call and then move that call to another frequency.

Ham operators want people to talk and want other people to talk. We want more operators. We just want people to share the same respectful attitude as everyone else on the frequency.

SCpatriot

I have CBs in both my pick ups, the wife’s car, my boat, and one in the house. We stay on just a couple low traffic channels. Since I live in a rural area most people have a certain channel that they and their friends stay on. I can talk to anyone within a 50 mile range and don’t usually stray much farther than that from home anyway. It comes in handy and doesn’t cost anything to use like cell phones do and doesn’t rely on cell towers. They don’t use a lot of electricity and the one in my boat is connected to a battery with a solar charger. Even with no electricity we can still communicate.

otis302

I have always had a cb in my truck but I have been behind in the latest antenna choice I just recently bought FIRESTIK it has a adjustable end screw in in or out aia am not sure how you would tell the diff with out a meter.

Stocker
    Participant

I personally have found Wilson antennas to work the best. Wife has a Wilson 1,000 on her truck and I got a 5,000 on mine. As long as your antenna is cut at the right length you’ll never have a problem. I recommend that if your radio doesn’t have a calibration function to invest in an SWR meter. Just my 2cents.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.