Chest Rigs, Plate Carriers, LBEs and other Molle Vest & Gear

Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry Chest Rigs, Plate Carriers, LBEs and other Molle Vest & Gear

This topic contains 29 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  TeknaBuzz 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I’ve been looking at a bunch of different molle setups in form of chest rigs and plate carriers so I can create a loadout carrying system and was wondering if any of you have such a set up or have any suggestions.

Some of the companies that have stood out have been Tactical Tailor, High Speed Gear Inc, Eagle Industries, Diamondback Tactical and PIG.

Initially I just want to hold about 4 double mag AR pouches and 4 pistol pouches. I might set up something more for pistol pouches using a belt. But I’m afraid if I go with just a solo front piece molle chest rig I’m going to eventually be wishing I had more room.

I do have some experience with plate carriers, LBE’s, and molle vest and while I don’t really have a valid use for a plate carrier I know that laying on your mags in the prone position is much more comfortable when you have a chest plate between. I also think plate carriers work a little better for balancing the weight but then again I like the way chest rigs come across the shoulders versus the thickness at the shoulders from vest.

Any suggestions? Post pics if you got them.

JulioTheSavage

The Shellback Banshee plate carrier is one that I ‘ve been eyeing up. I’ve talked to a few people with real world use who say that it’s pretty good with great quality. Probably won’t find anything else this good for the price.Check it out: http://www.skdtac.com/Shellback-Banshee-Plate-Carrier-p/shb.125.htm
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]856[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]857[/ATTACH]

PhilTheBiker

Julio, make sure you check the laws. I’m not sure if bullet resistant type vests are legal to wear in this state. I know for a fact that if you are caught with one during a crime you might has well have been caught with a hand grenade in a school zone. But the wearing of the vest in Maryland may be illegal without a permit, i’m not sure.

JulioTheSavage

@philthebiker 9273 wrote:

Julio, make sure you check the laws. I’m not sure if bullet resistant type vests are legal to wear in this state. I know for a fact that if you are caught with one during a crime you might has well have been caught with a hand grenade in a school zone. But the wearing of the vest in Maryland may be illegal without a permit, i’m not sure.

That’s just a plate carrier that has the pockets for the steel and ceramic plate. I actually have two level 3a vests. From my understanding as long as I’m not a convicted felon I can own body armor.

Andrew

Julio, that is expensive.

Also, I would look for a vest with places fro side plates and/or level 2 kevlar you can place in the side.

JulioTheSavage

@andrew.anderson 9279 wrote:

Julio, that is expensive.

Also, I would look for a vest with places fro side plates and/or level 2 kevlar you can place in the side.

That’s not expensive when you compare it to other carriers of the same quality. You would be paying $300 and up for something comparable. I know there are cheaper vest out there but the quality won’t be on par. The Banshee plate carrier also accepts soft body armor in the side pockets of the cummerbund. Just my 2 cents

Andrew

@juliothesavage 9281 wrote:

The Banshee plate carrier also accepts soft body armor in the side pockets of the cummerbund. Just my 2 cents

That is good. Do you know if they make plates that fit in the side pockets?

I have a few sets of body armor. None of my have plates on the sides though. I wish they did.

JulioTheSavage

@andrew.anderson 9283 wrote:

That is good. Do you know if they make plates that fit in the side pockets?

I have a few sets of body armor. None of my have plates on the sides though. I wish they did.

Yes they do have side plates that fit in the side pockets. They have steel standalone trauma plates and SAPI plates to fit inside the pouches. I believe they are around 6″x8″. They also have molle pouches to attach to the sides for larger side plates also. I think the larger plates are 7″x8″. You would just have check what size plate the vest could accept. Just search side plate armor or side SAPI plates and all kinds of plates pop up. Oh yeah forgot add the Banshee side panels have molle attachments inside and out so you can attach the side pockets.

Andrew

@juliothesavage 9291 wrote:

Yes they do have side plates that fit in the side pockets. They have steel standalone trauma plates and SAPI plates to fit inside the pouches. I believe they are around 6″x8″. They also have molle pouches to attach to the sides for larger side plates also. I think the larger plates are 7″x8″. You would just have check what size plate the vest could accept. Just search side plate armor or side SAPI plates and all kinds of plates pop up. Oh yeah forgot add the Banshee side panels have molle attachments inside and out so you can attach the side pockets.

Price for main plates is expensive. I did not realize a complete set of BA could cost over 1k.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I think the banshee would be a very good choice for a plate carrier. It also stood out to me because from what I researched it fits well on us skinny guys. But if I had a plate carrier at this point I’d really have no valid reason for plates and I know the plates help make the carrier fit properly, they sag a bit and flop more without them. I trained daily wearing the Army’s IBA in Fort Benning, Ga in dead summer and those things are extremely hot to wear and doesn’t breathe at all. Imagine wearing a plastic trash bag like A-shirt and spending the day in a sauna, salt from your sweat actually will trap itself into your pores and you get what we called heat prickle.

For now I’m leaning more towards a chest rig and I like the AO Small Chest Rig from HSGI:
    Just the rig $65
    http://www.highspeedgearinc.com/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-AOSCR&cat=50
    Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzGZkNNfwZc
    The set up from the video $195:
    http://www.highspeedgearinc.com/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-DDTCombo&cat=50

One thing I don’t like about this rig is the harness, I like this harness a better simply by the appearance of added comfort but it might not work as well to prevent flopping of your gear:
    http://www.tacticaltailor.com/vests-armor/modular/x-harness

Still undecided hoping for more feedback.

Andrew

Tactical Tailor makes some good stuff. If you are ever in Tacoma , WA you can stop by and they used to do custom orders. That was 10 years and a lifetime ago though πŸ™‚

Andrew

@teknabuzz 9305 wrote:

I think the banshee would be a very good choice for a plate carrier. It also stood out to me because from what I researched it fits well on us skinny guys. But if I had a plate carrier at this point I’d really have no valid reason for plates and I know the plates help make the carrier fit properly, they sag a bit and flop more without them. I trained daily wearing the Army’s IBA in Fort Benning, Ga in dead summer and those things are extremely hot to wear and doesn’t breathe at all. Imagine wearing a plastic trash bag like A-shirt and spending the day in a sauna, salt from your sweat actually will trap itself into your pores and you get what we called heat prickle.

For now I’m leaning more towards a chest rig and I like the AO Small Chest Rig from HSGI:
    Just the rig $65
    http://www.highspeedgearinc.com/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-AOSCR&cat=50
    Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzGZkNNfwZc
    The set up from the video $195:
    http://www.highspeedgearinc.com/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-DDTCombo&cat=50

Still undecided hoping for more feedback.

THe AO rig does not look comfortable. I do not see how it is going to comfortably bear weight when the wearer is running, maneuvering or doing anything other than standing still or walking slowing.

JulioTheSavage

@andrew.anderson 9296 wrote:

Price for main plates is expensive. I did not realize a complete set of BA could cost over 1k.

For me personally I would run the stand alone steel plates front and back. They are heavier(around 8lbs for a 10×12″) than ceramic but a lot cheaper and durable. I can handle the weight. They run anywhere from $85 to well over $100 a plate depending on the brand but a lot cheaper than ceramic.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Over the past few weeks I’ve researched various chest rigs and plate rigs and after some very careful consideration I decided to opt in and order the Banshee Plate Carrier. I found the Banshee & another Mayflower model which was much more expensive to be highly recommended for tall slender build guys like myself.

I was nearly dead set on going with some type of chest rig but I figured that forms of body armor will just be one of the next things to undergo new legislation for restrictions. It’s just another thing that I think will eventually be more valuable than what I’ve invested not to mention it’ll help improve my doomsday prepper score lol. 😎

Julio, do you have the stand alone steel plates in yours? I was wondering how well the steel plates work inside considering they’re more thin that SAPI plates?

JulioTheSavage

@teknabuzz 10262 wrote:

Over the past few weeks I’ve researched various chest rigs and plate rigs and after some very careful consideration I decided to opt in and order the Banshee Plate Carrier. I found the Banshee & another Mayflower model which was much more expensive to be highly recommended for tall slender build guys like myself.

I was nearly dead set on going with some type of chest rig but I figured that forms of body armor will just be one of the next things to undergo new legislation for restrictions. It’s just another thing that I think will eventually be more valuable than what I’ve invested not to mention it’ll help improve my doomsday prepper score lol. 😎

Julio, do you have the stand alone steel plates in yours? I was wondering how well the steel plates work inside considering they’re more thin that SAPI plates?

Sorry Joey I’m just like you. I was looking at getting the Banshee Plate Carrier myself. I only have soft body armor, Level III-A. I know the vests I have will stop most threats I will encounter at home but I was looking for more protection just in case SHTF. But from what I know from talking to people on other forums the steel stand alones will fit just find. The thing about the steel plates is the fact that they may ricochet into your face or someone next to you, SAPI won’t. I was thinking of running my soft armor over top of the steel plates inside the Banshee Carrier to prevent the riochet. The steel is so appealing because of price and durability.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.