Crossbows a good alternative to a actual firearm?

Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry Crossbows a good alternative to a actual firearm?

This topic contains 61 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  TeknaBuzz 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

So I’ve been thinking what would be a non firearm weapon to serve as a alternative to the things a person could use a firearm for. First thing to came to mind was a bow like bow hunters but then while putting more thought into it I concluded a crossbow would offer so much more mobility. Thing is I really don’t know much about crossbows so I’m wondering if anybody here does and could suggest a good crossbow model?

Its also my understanding that firearms are completely illegal in the United Kingdom so I figured that a crossbow would about the best zombie defense or hunting weapon they could legally own across the pond. Seriously zombies aside, just what do the people in the UK plan to do for defensive measures if a SHTF event ever takes place?

AmbientTech

dont have a c bow but gotta admit there is something cool about shooting arrows

DCortez

Would be nice to have a “silent weapon”.

ZombieMage

lol i can just imagine calling 911 because i shot a intruder in the head and hes now stuck to a wall

tetutato

It’s “cool” to shoot a crossbow instead of a firearm but I’m not sure if it would be much effective. 😛

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Yeah I think I’ll wait on a semi-automatic crossbow with at least 5 arrow capacity.

azurevirus

I purchased a Parker Fireball at the local pawnshop..its actually pretty fun to shoot..its just a 100 lb weight but it will send those arrows flying..arrows are about 5 bucks a pc so if I lose one Im not going to cry..I actually broke one firing it into a hardwood tree at 60 yards give or take..it stuck in the tree but shattered the shaft..besides knowing how to load and shoot one now I dont know much else about them..the scope is neat though and they are cumbersome compared to a pistol..but they are deadly..maybe thats what makes them fun

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@azurevirus 719 wrote:

I purchased a Parker Fireball at the local pawnshop..its actually pretty fun to shoot..its just a 100 lb weight but it will send those arrows flying..arrows are about 5 bucks a pc so if I lose one Im not going to cry..I actually broke one firing it into a hardwood tree at 60 yards give or take..it stuck in the tree but shattered the shaft..besides knowing how to load and shoot one now I dont know much else about them..the scope is neat though and they are cumbersome compared to a pistol..but they are deadly..maybe thats what makes them fun

Cool, I’m looking forward to hearing more crossbow reviews.

Parlock

The major positive of using Arrows is that there is a potentially infinite supply of ammunition – you can re-use arrows, whereas you cannot reuse bullets. They are also silent, so Zombies and the like would not hear you firing and be drawn to the noise.

Of course the draw back (no pun intended ;)) would be the rate of fire, you just cannot fire a crossbow at the same speed you can a gun.

Darkknight

Crossbows is excellent choice if your tactics is silent hit and hide Stealth mode. You won’t be able to rapid fire but have reusable supply of arrows, which is good in my opinion. My friend has using one of this and rates it as best. http://www.barnettcrossbows.com/compoundcrossbows/ghost_400.html

Alonso1

@azurevirus 719 wrote:

firing it into a hardwood tree at 60 yards give or take

60 yards is a lot farther that I though an arrow would accurately travel. Obviously, I have no experience with bow’s or crossbow’s but they do seem like they would be fun to shoot.

I don’t know how they would do against zombies. I figure you would have to make good hits on target in order to benefit from the silences the bow/crossbow have to offer.

I have seen Ted Nugent shoot deer (on t.v.) with a bow and the animal almost always runs away. Now if I were shot with an arrow, unlike a deer, I would most likely scream bloody murder and the silent kill goes out the window.

So has anyone ever done any serious shooting with a bow/crossbow? Whats the average range you can get an accurate shot with? Whats the rise and drop of the arrow in flight? What is a good practice target for a brain kill? 8 inches?

I guess if you knew the above information, then you could get within range and fire off a quick brain kill without the concern of the zombie screaming and alerting all his zombie friends.

Now that I think about, if a bow/crossbow can hold 8 inches, it might not be a bad weapon to have in my bag of tricks.

Darkknight

@alonso1 1915 wrote:

So has anyone ever done any serious shooting with a bow/crossbow? Whats the average range you can get an accurate shot with? Whats the rise and drop of the arrow in flight? What is a good practice target for a brain kill? 8 inches?

I guess if you knew the above information, then you could get within range and fire off a quick brain kill without the concern of the zombie screaming and alerting all his zombie friends.

Now that I think about, if a bow/crossbow can hold 8 inches, it might not be a bad weapon to have in my bag of tricks.

Oh yeah, plenty of my friends have hunted from small buck to African buffalo in south Africa. Does crossbow make them deadly and silent, yep ! They can kill animals who have twice the sensors humans do. Where does dead zombies fit in ?!?

ICF_Hooligan

Sharpe

I figure a Crossbow would be a good weapon, because you can always re-use the Arrow, Its Silent, Light weight. The Only Disadvantage i can think of would be Range.

azurevirus

My Parker is fun or was as I havent shot it in months now..but Im pretty sure inside a prison building (last nights episode of the Walking Dead) or such it wouldnt be the ideal weapon..it takes a little muscle and a few seconds to recock,place arrow in correctly and aim, definately a one shot deal..but out in the open its another story..super stealthy, hard to pin point the point of origin and effective at easily over half a football field, to me the more range you have the more deadly it is.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.