Crossbows a good alternative to a actual firearm?

Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry Crossbows a good alternative to a actual firearm?

This topic contains 61 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  TeknaBuzz 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author

ICF_Hooligan

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@icf_hooligan 7758 wrote:

wife decided on what she wants for xmas… makes my life easier. same one Daryl Dixon uses on TWD

Awesome! But at the end of the day I still think of a crossbow as a weapon and it’s hard to fathom spending $300 on a weapon that don’t require gun powder. On the other hand I do believe that here in Texas its legal for anybody to hunt with a crossbow during bow season. (At one time only hunters with limb disabilities could use a crossbow to my understanding.) From a hunters standpoint taking advantage of the early started hunting season for bow hunting seems to justify the cost.

Also there are people out there that live in areas with tough firearm restrictions or perhaps even decent people who made mistakes early in life that jeopardized their rights to legally own a firearm. For these people in those situations I think a crossbow is about the best alternative one could have.

ICF_Hooligan

i’m gonna use it for the wild animals around my place without stirring up the local PD

snowninja62

@teknabuzz 446 wrote:

So I’ve been thinking what would be a non firearm weapon to serve as a alternative to the things a person could use a firearm for. First thing to came to mind was a bow like bow hunters but then while putting more thought into it I concluded a crossbow would offer so much more mobility. Thing is I really don’t know much about crossbows so I’m wondering if anybody here does and could suggest a good crossbow model?

Its also my understanding that firearms are completely illegal in the United Kingdom so I figured that a crossbow would about the best zombie defense or hunting weapon they could legally own across the pond. Seriously zombies aside, just what do the people in the UK plan to do for defensive measures if a SHTF event ever takes place?

WELL , i personally dislike ccrossbows compared to compound bows, compounds need not be unstringed, are light weight , far ranged and easier to reload , especially if you get practiced , but they are a true treasure, and will come in very handy in the impending apocalypse, just think of all the heads those things will destroy πŸ˜€ , did you know: they made a explosive tip for crossbow bolt arrows? , its filled with gunpowder and when the tip hits something going faster then 5mph it blows πŸ™‚ it is AWESOME!!! , anyway you could possibly post the timeline of the evolution of bows and crossbows compared to firearms?

ICF_Hooligan

bows are great, but thinking logically they would be used for hunting deer, so exploding tips are a goofy distraction, kinda like incendiary rounds for a shotgun… fun but not very useful

boisdarc

I’ve shot a crossbow, it is more like shooting a rifle than you would think. Of course the stock is rifle like shaped, the sights (or even scopes) are rifle like, all steady hold factors apply, stock/cheek weld-breathing-trigger squeeze–well pretty much everything about proper shooting of a rifle can apply to shooting a crossbow. However as mentioned before engaging multiple targets aint gonna happen. Most bowhunters with responsible bowhunting ethics will not shoot much outside of the 100 yard range- of course everyone knows some one that can shoot a gnat between the eyes at 200 yards- I wouldn’t ever hunt with or trust someone that says that though. Realistic shots where I live in Illinois (in part due to our timber here being the way it is) are more realistically on the average of 15 to 30 yards. IF you really dig archery, instinctive shooting a regular non-wheel bow, recurve/longbow/reflex deflex/selfbow/compositionbow or whatever type you pick (that is a non-compound bow) can be done pretty rapidly, G. Fred Asbell has a very comprehensive instinctive shooting guide. Fred Bear demonstrated that a 45 pound recurve bow could kill any animal on the north american continent. Of course he was pretty much the father of modern archery and had shot placement ability well above and beyond the average bowhunter. For picking off a single enemy/animal at a further distance yeah a crossbow is probably better, for picking off multiple targets in a hurry a traditional bow is my opinion the best.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Don’t have a crossbow but recently my mother-in-law found a “Bear” brand 50-60lb bow in somebody’s trash pile and grabbed it and gave it to me. It’s pretty beat up but in working condition and I looked them up and although I couldn’t find the exact model they’re not all that cheap so I figure I’ll hang onto this one.

shottist

I have invented a repeating, dart “rifle”, and am at work on a handgun using the same idea. The rifle version is a shot every 1/2 second, twice as fast as a bolt action, lethal to 25 yds or so, It can work to 35 yds, if you slow down to a shot every 3 seconds or so. If you slow down to cross bow “speed”, it is a shot every 10 seconds or so. Silent, re-usable “ammo”. I fear that the retail price will be expensive, however, at about $400, but I see crossbows and paintball guns costing 3x that much. Unfortunately, the handgun is twice as slow for repeat shots, but you CAN have one in each hand, and if you fire them alternately, you can certainly hit a man at ranges well beyond the reach of his club or knife. πŸ™‚ The rifle version will feature cutting blades that are 1.5″ across, the pistol, only 3/4″ wide, but that’s the size of a 12 ga slug. πŸ™‚ A pair of such slicers thru your vitals is going to bleed you weak in a few seconds, and the psychological shock of being shot with such a weapon is pretty likely to make you stop, too. πŸ™‚ It certainly beats having nothing better than a crossbow. It features a folding stock, can be ccw’d under a jacket (slung under your arm) and can be fired from cover or thru a window.

boisdarc

can you show a picture of this, you can realistically shoot a crossbow out well of 100 meters. as far as cutting ability the sky is the limit with expandable broadheads or even fixed blade have overall blade width of greater than an inch. Are you talking about a gun or like the chinese repeating crossbow, call me slow-but I am not getting the crossbow equivalence.

shottist

yes, it’s a sort of repeating crossbow, but much better, actually. The 100 yd claim is stretching things (a lot) with the xbow. if you’re zeroed with your bolts at realistic yardage, say, 30 yds, you’d hit many feet low at 100 yds. If you zero at 90 yds, you’ll be several ft high at 60 yds, and many inches low at 100 yds. Xbows lack the “cast” of the longbow. I realize that carbon fiber shafts and compound bows have helped a lot, compared to where archery was 40 years ago, but not enough to make 100 yds realistic.

boisdarc

shottist

sure, AFTER you “spot on” with a few shots to get the aiminng poiint correct, about 10ft over the top of the target. πŸ™‚ Guys do the same bs for 1000 yd rifle shooting. but if you put a gun to their heads, under typical condtions, and tell them that their LIFE is rising upon getting a chest hit, in typical field conditions, heat mirage, gusting wind, a bit of rain or fog or snow or smoke, and you kknow what they tell you the farthest they’d fire at? 300 yds, there’s video of Bob Munden gettting a hip shooting hit on a beer can at 200 yds, with a .38 snub, I think it was. That’s a long ways from how far he’d bet his life on being able to do it . 20 ft maybe, but not 600 ft.. πŸ™‚

boisdarc

Only an asshat would put a new scope on their crossbow/rifle/pistol/howitzer/whatever and go hunting without zeroing in and figuring out the “dope” for their system. That is what will separate the “for reals” from the “wannabes”. I don’t even know the guy in the videos name, and neither probably does anyone else on this board, because he is just some dude that put his shooting on youtube. That guy wasn’t a famous big name hunter, like chuck adams or Uncle Ted Nugent, so he realistically represents what is capable for any joe off the street (that can afford to buy a fairly nice and expensive crossbow and scope set up) to be able to do as long as they know sound marksmanship principles. I do not proclaim to be the end all or be all marksmanship expert, I qualify every year at the range for my job, I enjoy shooting, but also know my limitations. For instance, I was trained to shoot the “pop up” method of shooting that the Army has taught for several years, and I think that is the specific reason that the average Marine has better marksmanship skills than the average soldier-marines shoot known distance shooting ALONG with “pop up” style shooting. Yeah this is me giving props to the Marines here on the board and everyone that may read this.

I say you can’t have too many weapons, & this would be a good option….especially in case you run out of amo

boisdarc

true dat, bolts unless broken are reusable.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.