Crossbows a good alternative to a actual firearm?

Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry Crossbows a good alternative to a actual firearm?

This topic contains 61 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  TeknaBuzz 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • Author

Andrew

ICF_Hooligan

these days they’ve gone up to between 3 and $400… IF you can even find one…

Kinda like trying to buy a ’98 Toyota Supra TT, good luck finding one under $30,000…

ICF_Hooligan

@andrew.anderson 16182 wrote:

How much do those cost?

these days they’ve gone up to between 3 and $400… IF you can even find one…

Kinda like trying to buy a ’98 Toyota Supra TT, good luck finding one under $30,000…

20 off 60

I love crossbows for the zpoc. I think that if you are proficient with a crossbow (not just an avid Daryl fan) you might even consider a crossbow above a firearm. (just my opinion) I haven’t really been shooting c’bows that long, but when i started it just kind of came naturally. I own 3 crossbows and my best one isn’t my favorite for zombies. My favorite for zombies is my Horton Legend HD175. My only real problem is that it is 175 which is time consuming to pull back with just bare hands, (which is completely possible differing from alot of speculation ive been hearing recently) but you can hold it back for an indefinite amount of time and has rails for scopes and sights. (I have a red-dot.)

20 off 60

I also totally just noticed that this was asked in 2011 lol.

alwayscross

The thing about a crossbow bow is it still needs a lot of maintenance, I have a recurve one by the way. If you keep it in good condition (Keeping it oiled and well maintained) each crossbow string should last roughly 180 shots, eventually the cross bar will break but thats a long time. Also the bolts will be rendered useless after a while so have multiple back ups, in the end a knife is still twice as good.

alwayscross

A bow is good, but its large and can be annoying to carry. You can also be seen easier with it and its also harder to aim with.

You know what I’ve always wanted to learn? How to make crossbow bolts/bow arrows. In theory if you know how to make the bolts, then you’ll have an unlimited supply as long as you’re around woods (with the right kind of trees). My dad has a crossbow and he really likes it. I’m 6’2 and 240lbs so cocking the bow is easy for me, but still not a speedy thing.

alwayscross

I can kinda make bolts, but there not so good. I can also make crossbow string, but again not so good. But im getting better 🙂

you know what else would be neat, figuring out what household/industrial items can be used as a bolt, or modified easily into one.

bigpaul

I added longbows to my collection as I reckon there are times you want to be quiet..people about etc.etc. when a firearm would give your location away, I was always against crossbows because of the effort of recocking them but I recently bought a crossbow I can recock quickly ..a Barnett wildcat old style with the wooden stock…£20 complete on a market stall.

alwayscross

I wouldn’t actually use a crossbow much for combat during a SHTF situation, mainly just for hunting food. My tactic is actually just to avoid people in general and stay out the way, a crossbow suggests im starting combat as its a ranged weapon and I could just sneak past. I would possibly use it if I think people are after me and I want to take them out from a distance, but thats about it.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I have a 50-65 compound bow that was given to me in my closet but have yet to get any arrows for it. It’s rough looking but still functions. Eventually I hope to get into bow hunting just for that early start on deer season and figured it be at least a decent practice bow if not for me for my kids.

mage2

I currently have a crossbow, compound bow, takedown recurve and a longbow/stickbow.

the crossbow is a crazy weapon, some tv shows would show a head stopping a bolt from close range.. i doubt it. had to get a special target for it, it was going through the archery targets i had for my 70lb compound bow. through two of them. but if you can shoot a rifle you can shoot a crossbow. my wife loves it.
    recurve and stick are the challenging to master, i have not even come close to mastering either, both are without sight and are in the 50-60lb pull, but there is no letoff so you are holding the pressure. get a good shooting glove.
    compound bows are cool. fast accurate and not too heavy. all are quiet other than the twang of the string or the thump of the bow vibrating from the shock of the arrow. That said you take your life. well health into your own hand if you try to fire traditional arrows or bolts from these newer bows and crossbows. the pressure arch is crazy fast and even carbon fiber fails. google for the video of arrows breaking during release, its a nasty wound.

bigpaul

I am thinking of bows,both longbows and crossbows, as mainly hunting weapons, I don’t intend getting into a firefight if I can help it, I don’t think anyone wins that way, I’m going to try and keep a low profile post SHTF and try and avoid trouble, I live in a fairly remote rural area hundreds of miles away from a big city, everyone knows everyone else here-its that kind of place and strangers would stand out a mile.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.