Crossbows a good alternative to a actual firearm?

Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry Crossbows a good alternative to a actual firearm?

This topic contains 61 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  TeknaBuzz 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author

alwayscross

@mage2 19640 wrote:

I currently have a crossbow, compound bow, takedown recurve and a longbow/stickbow.

the crossbow is a crazy weapon, some tv shows would show a head stopping a bolt from close range.. i doubt it. had to get a special target for it, it was going through the archery targets i had for my 70lb compound bow. through two of them. but if you can shoot a rifle you can shoot a crossbow. my wife loves it.
    recurve and stick are the challenging to master, i have not even come close to mastering either, both are without sight and are in the 50-60lb pull, but there is no letoff so you are holding the pressure. get a good shooting glove.
    compound bows are cool. fast accurate and not too heavy. all are quiet other than the twang of the string or the thump of the bow vibrating from the shock of the arrow. That said you take your life. well health into your own hand if you try to fire traditional arrows or bolts from these newer bows and crossbows. the pressure arch is crazy fast and even carbon fiber fails. google for the video of arrows breaking during release, its a nasty wound.

This should answer your question about a head stopping a bolt, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x22qp7-XoXY

mage2

yea. the outcome of that video is what i expected. there is a amazing amount of energy in a bolt moving at over 300 fps and its all focused on the tip of the point of the head.

alwayscross

@mage2 19767 wrote:

yea. the outcome of that video is what i expected. there is a amazing amount of energy in a bolt moving at over 300 fps and its all focused on the tip of the point of the head.

Thats why I bought a lower power crossbow, still good for hunting and defence. Plus the bolts will last a little longer.

bigpaul

you can buy lower powered prods, mine is fitted with a 100LB prod, I also have a spare 95LB one and 120LB one, the 100LB one may not seem much compared to the standard 175LB one but it still has one hell of a kick, I’m currently looking around for another crossbow stock, with that and all the spares I have stashed away I can build a second crossbow.

alwayscross

@bigpaul 19769 wrote:

you can buy lower powered prods, mine is fitted with a 100LB prod, I also have a spare 95LB one and 120LB one, the 100LB one may not seem much compared to the standard 175LB one but it still has one hell of a kick, I’m currently looking around for another crossbow stock, with that and all the spares I have stashed away I can build a second crossbow.

Good to have a back up, you never know.

bigpaul

yes, that’s what I thought, and the prod is light enough to recock by hand, don’t need to use a cocking rope(although I have one-just in case), which makes it faster to reload.

mage2

mine is a 180lb pull? something like that prob little less. I know that I have cocked it by hand, but would not want to do that too often.
    I use one of the pulley systems to cock it in seconds.

bigpaul

the normal ones over here are 175LB draw weight, friend of mine tried to cock his by hand and put his back out, he’s still not right 2 years later, so that’s why I went for a lighter weight one, its still got a kick to it and will punch a bolt through a wall insulation board right up to the flights at a decent distance.

boisdarc

I just popped back in to check the site, still great stuff here. I’m kind of liking what mage2 is saying. I have a bunch of bows, one wheel bow(old and very outdated compared to the new parallel limb ones out now), several self bows, composite recurves-a bear black panther(if you look it up, it is most similar to a Bear 48″ supermag) and my favorite which was hand made for me by csaba grozer( his sythian model). With the compound I use a rest, a release, a kisser, and sights- it is very user friendly. I shoot cheap ass aluminum arrows and usually expandable points, I have some fixed blade for it but haven’t used them. My arrows for my grozer, my bear and my self bows are wood, I made them my self and honestly have to say they are pretty sharp looking, I used the book traditional bowyers bible either volume 2 or 3 can’t remember right now exclusively when building arrows. I didn’t go out and cut shafts myself and knap stone heads or anything like that. I bought shafts and arrow building supplies from 3 rivers archery(whom I would suggest dealing with, Dale Karch is a straight shooter), it is a LONG process to build arrows and you have to go through a lot of super fine sanding between coats(or dips). I use a martin J8 fletcher, it isn’t the most expensive or fancy, but it comes with two different heads for making regular 3 feather or 4 feather fluflu arrows. Unlike a few past members, when I discuss( or type as it were) stuff on this site, I do not spew misinformation that I read somewhere else or “heard” from a friend of a friend. I’ve had a passion for archery for a lot of years. If you are not willing to dedicate a LOT of time to practicing instinctive archery skills needed to effectively harvest game in a humane manner, self bows or recurve/long bows may not be for you. I honestly can’t imagine not feeling 100% confident in my ability to have perfect shot placement on a game animal. Crossbows aren’t 100% point and shoot either, but I honestly believe a beginner can become efficient with a crossbow much faster than a long/recurve bow.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@boisdarc 20015 wrote:

I just popped back in to check the site, still great stuff here. I’m kind of liking what mage2 is saying. I have a bunch of bows, one wheel bow(old and very outdated compared to the new parallel limb ones out now), several self bows, composite recurves-a bear black panther(if you look it up, it is most similar to a Bear 48″ supermag) and my favorite which was hand made for me by csaba grozer( his sythian model). With the compound I use a rest, a release, a kisser, and sights- it is very user friendly. I shoot cheap ass aluminum arrows and usually expandable points, I have some fixed blade for it but haven’t used them. My arrows for my grozer, my bear and my self bows are wood, I made them my self and honestly have to say they are pretty sharp looking, I used the book traditional bowyers bible either volume 2 or 3 can’t remember right now exclusively when building arrows. I didn’t go out and cut shafts myself and knap stone heads or anything like that. I bought shafts and arrow building supplies from 3 rivers archery(whom I would suggest dealing with, Dale Karch is a straight shooter), it is a LONG process to build arrows and you have to go through a lot of super fine sanding between coats(or dips). I use a martin J8 fletcher, it isn’t the most expensive or fancy, but it comes with two different heads for making regular 3 feather or 4 feather fluflu arrows. Unlike a few past members, when I discuss( or type as it were) stuff on this site, I do not spew misinformation that I read somewhere else or “heard” from a friend of a friend. I’ve had a passion for archery for a lot of years. If you are not willing to dedicate a LOT of time to practicing instinctive archery skills needed to effectively harvest game in a humane manner, self bows or recurve/long bows may not be for you. I honestly can’t imagine not feeling 100% confident in my ability to have perfect shot placement on a game animal. Crossbows aren’t 100% point and shoot either, but I honestly believe a beginner can become efficient with a crossbow much faster than a long/recurve bow.

Bear is the brand I bow I have that was given to me, it’s pretty beat up but still in working condition. Is it a good brand? I mainly heard bowtech and mathews brands from other hunters.

From the hunting aspect of bows, I think it’ll make you a better hunter as you’ve got to get so much closer and scent, movement and even scouting seems so more vital.

bigpaul

we don’t have the large animals in the UK you have in the States, i’ll be mostly hunting squirrels, rabbits and pheasants and I reckon any bolt fired from a crossbow with a prod over 100lbs will go straight through a rabbit and out the other side!!!:)

boisdarc

Bear brand bows are great bows, old bows should be inspected before shot though. Look for limb twist, and delamination also, it will be when the fiberglass has lifted away from the wooden or composite core. Delamination is potentially dangerous, your bow can come apart in your face. If you have limb twist, it is usually caused by improper storage of the bow-like in a hot garage over years with the bottom limb or top limb having unequal pressure on it, or left strung and standing on end. The good thing limb twist can be repaired through the use of mild heat and actually twisting the limb back to correct shape. Bowtech and Mathews are great bow companies and make great products, and have pretty much cornered the market on “new” compound bows. They come with “new” compound bow prices too. As far as crossbows, I would be leery of one that can be purchased too inexpensively, there are a lot of cheap ones that have flooded the market lately that are pretty sketchy. I personally have never made a bolt for a crossbow, but if you have a spine checker(look it up) that checks the spine of a shaft, especially aluminum shafts you could probably cut down standard arrows to bolt size and glue in point adapters–I have no experience doing this however-but someone has probably done it. I don’t know what kind of feather system they use–for instance are they left or rights wing feathers(or plastic) what is standard degree for them to spin left to right on the shaft when you glue them up in your jig, and stuff like that. As short as they are, their spine weight is probably pretty high, but so is the poundage of the bow they are shot out of. Remember, in england some historic long bows were in excess of 100 pounds and their arrows had to be spined accordingly, but even better yet, Howard Hill shot a 150# long bow in the 40s(i think, without cheating and searching the net).

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I will see about taking and sharing a posted pic of the bow I’m talking about.

alwayscross

@teknabuzz 20044 wrote:

I will see about taking and sharing a posted pic of the bow I’m talking about.

Have you got a carry system for your bow like a sling on you bag or anything else, there more or less found on hunting bags but regular ones can be modified.

boisdarc

This is a little off subject, but does tie into non-firearms owners choosing bows and crossbows, and if you want you can pm me instead of putting it here, or not. How hard is it for a U.K. subject to LEGALLY buy and possess a modern firearm, and I don’t mean a historic or antique(like family heirloom)? I would assume anyone can illegally get a gun if you have enough cash and know the right people-we watch Guy Ritchie movies here too(haha). When I lived in Germany, it was really hard for regular citizens to own firearms, and expensive enough to take guns out of the hands of most regular joes.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.