Doomsday Preppers on Nat Geo

Home Forums General/Random/Off Topic Doomsday Preppers on Nat Geo

This topic contains 133 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Gigabelly 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 134 total)
  • Author

Gigabelly

While I was working out this morning I spotted an advertisement for a new series on National Geographics called Doomsday Preppers. Now I don’t know what anyone else thinks of this, but it seems to fly in the face of OpSec logic. Other shows that were produced in the past about prepping seemed to accentuate the insane fringe and suggest that the whole of the prepper community is slightly unhinged. I remember when they we looking for preppers for this series a few months back and they were having trouble getting anyone to participate. I know I wasn’t about to. Who want to open themselves up to ridicule and alert everyone around them to their preps?

Glenn Beck has a new series starting tonight called Independence USA on his GBTV network. That, I think, looks like it will be worth watching and I certainly will. I think that this one will be informative and give us ideas on prepping ourselves. The Nat Geo one seems to simply be mocking them/us. Of course I have not seen it as it airs on Feb 8th, I think. If the past is a portent and we can assume this Nat Geo show will be like others produced in the past, it may be hard to watch.

All of this begs the question: Does this mean we are becoming a little more mainstream?

Alonso1

You beat me. I was going to post this, good thing I did a search before I posted.

I don’t know how they are going to portray the prepper movement. It’s hard to imagine they will be fair, I’ve been so dissapointed with Nat Geo lately. I get tired of hearing them insinuate that because of America’s pollution, and only America’s pollution, thing are heating up and now all the polar bears are going to die. Yep, thanks to the U.S.A., no more polar bears for anyone. Damn polar bears will chew you up anyhow, might even bite off your trigger finger. Oh heck, here I go on a rant again, alright back to the topic.

I must say I’m curious about the show. I’m sure I’ll watch the first couple of episodes and then decide if I’ll continue watching.

Gigabelly

Yeah, what about all those cute baby seals the polar bears eat. Maybe we’re just looking out for the seals. Anyway, they are trying appeal to what they think is the beliefs of the majority of the public. It is good to be underestimated. “Make anyone who thinks for themselves look stupid.” “everyone just think what we tell you to think and go back to sleep, lest you look crazy like these preppers” The Matrix seems more plausible all the time.

azurevirus

Well considering what our govt does and is trying to do to us..the economy, the state of the world today.. anyone with a brain that contains halfway common sense has to be worried about something bad happening in the very near/to near future..I have noticed that most if not all the ppl I know under 40 dont seem to believe that something bad will or can happen..I dont know if thats ignorance or just not wanting to think about it ..or whatever happens will happen and we will deal with it mentality..and on they go with blowing their money on booze and drugs…and now with the govt frowing on preppers..I sure wouldnt want to be on television advertising it as Im pretty sure whoever they do get to be on that show will end up on a list they would prefer not to be on..before or after it hits the fan..but then again, maybe it will make some ppl start to think more on prepping..but I doubt it

Gigabelly

I wondered that, about increasing the number of people thinking of prepping, but like you said, no one believes it could happen. I hinted around to my small group from church that everyone should consider a few weeks of food storage at a minimum and you would have thought I suddenly started speaking Filipino or grew a third eye on my forehead. They are comfortable with thinking that they don’t need to exert the effort to prepare because it won’t happen. Not to them. I shudder to think about them when SHTF. Oh well, Noah was thought to be crazy too, I guess.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Even if it does portray all the preppers as being a bunch of crazy loons I still think more people will become interested in prepping from the show. Normal people might think to themselves “those people are crazy, but having some extra food and ammo might not be a bad idea.” And I think its almost guaranteed that all the already unstable individuals that become interested in the show will suddenly want to be preppers too.

Gigabelly,
    I totally know what your talking about with your church’s reaction! As a christian I often wonder if my fellow Christians only believe certain parts of the bible as believing in all of it especially revelations should trigger some motivation to be prepared beyond spiritually. Some religious people put all faith in god which is great but I like to think it was god that gifted me with some common sense.

DCortez

Saw this posted on facebook. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUM0TOkNALg

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Adding a few Doomsday Preppers trailers:

edited: to delete the video DCortez already beat me to posting!

&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH6UA_Zs3ho

Hmm, after watching those trailers, I feel sort of jealous at the level of preparations others have but at the same time I think to myself I wouldn’t seem so crazy and looney as these people if I had the same degree of preps would I? I also feel I have a different mindset than these people do, they seem to already know what’s going to happen and are preparing for it. That one family seemed dead set on the fact that a CME is going to wipe out the entire electrical grid causing up to 140 nuclear meltdowns! Sure it could happen and they could be right, but so could the guy that is prepping for a biological event. I don’t know if the sun is going to come up tomorrow, but what I do know is that if something on the scale of what these people fear was to happen it would be disastrous to be unprepared. I prepare because what if one of those people saying this or that is going to happen is right.

thedesertape

I’ve been hearing a lot about this show on twitter.. but these are the first videos I have watched.. Couldn’t help but notice that the families are going to be evaluated by NatGeo “experts”? I’m wondering who are these experts and what makes them believe they are experts?
    I do like that the show covers a variety of different scenarios.. I may actually get cable or satellite just to watch this show.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@thedesertape 2122 wrote:

I’ve been hearing a lot about this show on twitter.. but these are the first videos I have watched.. Couldn’t help but notice that the families are going to be evaluated by NatGeo “experts”? I’m wondering who are these experts and what makes them believe they are experts?
    I do like that the show covers a variety of different scenarios.. I may actually get cable or satellite just to watch this show.

Plus the new season of The Walking Dead comes on Feb 12th. But if you have high speed internet and are good with google searches you could probably watch the full episode of both these shows online for free.

One of my good friends at work I’ve told about this show and he says he’s going to watch it and I haven’t had much success in getting him involved with more curiosity about prepping but have sparked his interest in firearms as he’s gone to the range with me a few times.

DCortez

Caught a couple of episodes tonight. Really enjoyed it.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

It was actually a pretty good show and I didn’t feel like they put a crazy spin on logical thinking even though these preppers seemed to be focus on a single event of some sort. One thing I did notice was even with as advance as some of them prepared they all felt like their preps was “good enough” and most was very defensive on their constructive critism by the experts in which I felt was good suggestions for improvement.

The main part I didn’t like about the show was where National Geographic says things like, chances of a devastating earthquake hitting LA is only 3%? Only 3%!!! Would you put a gun to your head and pull the trigger if the chances was only 3%. With all the doom & gloom that National Geographic covers in documentaries I’m really surprised that they felt it was so vital to give such statistics in a way that make it seem discredit those peoples fears. Especially where they say, “most economist say that hyper inflation is unlikely.”

I guess this is where I’m different from these preppers, as I find myself open minded to all the possibilities of doom that “could” happen and am trying to prepare for what I can in stages by what I feel would be most vital to surviving.

azurevirus

Caught Natgeos Preppers tonight..mostly I learned some folks have alot of money to spend on prepping..but I did enjoy seeing what they all were prepping for..I liked the critiques of the preppers by Natgeos “experts”..but also the experts gave a chance of what the preppers were prepping for actually happening..not one scenario was likely to happen according to them (the government couldnt have said it better) ..what a relief..its a weight off my shoulders to know that in expert opinions..the shtf scenario I believed in most (economic collapse) is highly unlikely..I can now sell all the guns and atvs’ and throw a block party to get rid of this food thats taking up so much space..everything is going to be ok after all folks..so take a step back and one deep breath ..and just chillax

DCortez

I like to think of prepping the same way I think of saving money. You never know what’s going to happen, when you’ll need to tap into your saved resources, or how deep you’ll have to dig into your character.

Not a big fan of their spin but do realize they want to entertain a tv audience, not help them out.

otis302

After watching dooms day preppers I see how unprepared I am its not just a event to them its a way of life right now and differant takes of what might happen i.e shift in the earths core massie devistation for the whole world finanicial collapse and now I see how a group would be almost mandatory.I relate to the one who had just a bug out bag and was able to recognise the differant edible plants .I think both styles would work the group would take so much work time and money where as the lone wolf is ready now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 134 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.