Doomsday Preppers on Nat Geo

Home Forums General/Random/Off Topic Doomsday Preppers on Nat Geo

This topic contains 133 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Gigabelly 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)
  • Author

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@philthebiker 15855 wrote:

I wish Netflix would pick these up or Xfinity online.

There’s a few different shows I’d love to watch more of if I could get it on demand.

PhilTheBiker

Episodes 5 and 6 of this seasons Doomsday Preppers. Seriously? You are going to show the entire world where your bunker is next to your house? Seriously, you are going to take a major off road race track that everyone in the area knows about and talk about the container that you are storing your preps in?

This season seems to be about a bunch of rich people who don’t really know what else to spend money on.

Not a single person in the last two episodes has a long term food plan. Meanwhile I’m raising rabbits, growing and canning veggies, and I hope this weekend i’ll be canning some deer meat for longer term storage should the power go out. Am I prepping for a reason? not really, canned deer meat tastes amazing!

Andrew

Sounds like envy:) You should contact them and see if they will put you on TV. Just act a bit obsessive boarding on crazy. They will pick you.

otis302

Hey Phil when you say canning as in regular cans? or mason jars? and if so cans how is that done do they sell “canning kits? and how long would it be safe to eat?

DCortez

Haven’t enjoyed a single show yet and my standards are pretty low. All I need is one useful tidbit of info per episode.

PhilTheBiker

@otis302 15930 wrote:

Hey Phil when you say canning as in regular cans? or mason jars? and if so cans how is that done do they sell “canning kits? and how long would it be safe to eat?

Mason Jars. It is safe to can meat if you use a pressure cooker. I ate some deer meat that was canned in 2007 about 6 months ago. Was it safe? I donno, I didn’t die or get sick. I’ve never canned deer meat before, I’m going to follow the directions. I plan on using pint size mason jars.

These are the directions that I’m going to follow

PhilTheBiker

Episode 7, We Are the Marauders.

Wow.. really? ok, the first guys in Tacoma Washington are going to ‘loot’ the stock piles of other people. Seriously? The guy is like 350 pounds, can’t move fast and is going to be an easy target. Second, he’s going to have to get past other people that are ‘ready’. Anyway, he’s just hollywood. And then do a c-section for his wife and making his own body armor out of titles and kitchen tiles with fiberglass cloth (no resin) but rather roofing tar then shooting a 30-06 with no ear protection. Idiots, idiots idiots. Now *maybe* the body armor will work, but dude, I’m shooting for your head. Complete idiot.

The second family that moved to Costa Rica. I can’t believe they let the young kids, under 5 years old, watch him butcher a chicken. The aquaponics stuff they do with fish has always interested me. I thought his comment about prepping is about building a community was an interesting statement.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Read this article about “Survival Entertainment” and found it to be a good read:

Survival Entertainment, Friend or Foe? An exclusive interview with Cody Lundin |Master Woodsman

DCortez

That was a good read.

boisdarc

Watched a recent episode. This dude from L.A. is shown in his “dope” “tactical suit in “kickass” black of course, complete with black dew rag. He has multiple cheap “bud K” style knives secreted on his person, because “HEY you can never have enough cheap ass knives”. He has no firearms (at least on the show) probably due to living in the soviet state of callifornia. BUT he is well armed with paint ball guns. I will give him props for packing the paint balls with chemicals that when splattered together will cause a fire, BUT, I will take those props right back because hey if it gets real hot outside and his balls melt together(paint balls that is), or if he drops his plastic gun, he will burn up. He further shows off an invention of his —dum dum dum–the walking prep stick, it has multiple end attachments, like; the two cheap lockback “bud k” knives on one screw-in handle -excellent for self defense and hunting, and an even better attachment -the three tine garden hand claw, which he demonstrated how with this, he would hold down animals heads between the two lower tines and the upper tine so he could easily dispatch(cut the head off of) said animal. What animal is this dude going to hold down and dispatch, a house cat or someones pet dog? What kind of mad ninja skills does this dude possess that he can sneak up on a rabbit or squirrel( or any other animal for that matter), to get within survival stick distance? How much wood skill/hunting experience does he have living in L.A.? For that matter, how much bowstaff skills does he possess? I honestly think this episode has broken me.

Andrew

@boisdarc 20209 wrote:

Watched a recent episode. This dude from L.A. is shown in his “dope” “tactical suit in “kickass” black of course, complete with black dew rag. He has multiple cheap “bud K” style knives secreted on his person, because “HEY you can never have enough cheap ass knives”. He has no firearms (at least on the show) probably due to living in the soviet state of callifornia. BUT he is well armed with paint ball guns. I will give him props for packing the paint balls with chemicals that when splattered together will cause a fire, BUT, I will take those props right back because hey if it gets real hot outside and his balls melt together(paint balls that is), or if he drops his plastic gun, he will burn up. He further shows off an invention of his —dum dum dum–the walking prep stick, it has multiple end attachments, like; the two cheap lockback “bud k” knives on one screw-in handle -excellent for self defense and hunting, and an even better attachment -the three tine garden hand claw, which he demonstrated how with this, he would hold down animals heads between the two lower tines and the upper tine so he could easily dispatch(cut the head off of) said animal. What animal is this dude going to hold down and dispatch, a house cat or someones pet dog? What kind of mad ninja skills does this dude possess that he can sneak up on a rabbit or squirrel( or any other animal for that matter), to get within survival stick distance? How much wood skill/hunting experience does he have living in L.A.? For that matter, how much bowstaff skills does he possess? I honestly think this episode has broken me.

The show does it’s best to paint preppers as crazy. That is what most of society believes and wants to believe no that is what Nat Geo feeds them.

alwayscross

I never liked Doomsday Preppers, just a bunch of show offs flashing what they have bought. Its basically saying come find me and steal my gear, chances are they will get killed in ten seconds by people wanting there gear. If a prepper truly wants a shot of surviving they would keep there plans to themselves (or prepper group) and stick to shadows, not tell the whole world.

PhilTheBiker

I think every episode has something you can learn from. Even if it’s “Man, I hope I’m never that dumb” 🙂

Overkill244

These people are “prepping” for the wrong reasons, like getting fired, or a specific event.

Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.