Emergency Radios

Home Forums Gear & Equipment Emergency Radios

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Matt

Hey fellow survivalists,

So the wife is all over the internet looking for an emergency radio. She’s looking for one that we can take with us on the road in the RV that will give us weather alerts and has a good antenna. What do you guys use? Do you like what you have?

Thanks for the info. Appreciated.

PhilTheBiker

Hard call to pick the right radio. Here are my suggestions in what to look for.

Something that you can hand crank for power.
    Something with a rechargeable battery, maybe even one that has a USB port so you can charge a phone.
    Something that picks up AM/FM/NOAA AND Shortwave frequencies. I say this because Shortwave is ‘global’ communications depending on time of day. From my home here in PA I’ve heard radio Vietnam, radio Korea, radio Cuba. If something happens here local news might not be the best source.
    Something with a light or strobe light
    Something with a NOAA weather alarm. These radios constantly listen and when they get a special signal from NOAA they go off like an alarm clock and then you hear the emergency message. The idea is if you are unaware of a tornado that you get an alert ASAP.

I’m not sure what radio meets all of those suggestions I have, but I know Eton might meet some of them. Eton

Andrew

Phil is right on. I am not the readio expert he is but I do have four weather radios and have bought some for the family. Eton does make a quality product.

otis302

Phil knows his radios which all I have is a cobra cb I just bought a new fire stick antenna and like any thing else I try to research every purchase and some days it picks up well and some not worth a dam, question Phil would I be better off with a whip antenna to recieve? And a better microphone to transmit?

alwayscross

I dont know much about radios but I have a friend who does, I will get back to you on this.

PhilTheBiker

Being able to connect a wire antenna to a radio is a plus, but not really a requirement. This last week I made contacts from Western PA at 100 watts to New Jersey, Orlando Florida, Baton Rouge Louisiana, Mississippi, Mass, Indiana, Michigan, some island even further south of Key West in Florida.

I used one of these:
    SuperAntenna -Official Website – New Super Antennas SuperAntennas Portable

Honestly, it’s not really a great antenna, but it just proves that you do not need an ‘amazing’ antenna to reach out and touch someone. Same is true for reception. If conditions are right you’ll hear the transmitter.

But yes, a long wire will do amazing things for reception. I’m not even sure the length really matters.

PhilTheBiker

@otis302 19970 wrote:

Phil knows his radios which all I have is a cobra cb I just bought a new fire stick antenna and like any thing else I try to research every purchase and some days it picks up well and some not worth a dam, question Phil would I be better off with a whip antenna to recieve? And a better microphone to transmit?

You want to look at what the antenna you select has to offer for ‘gain’. The higher the gain, the better you’ll hear with.

The microphone will have no real affect on transmitting.

CB’s are limited to 4 watts. Best thing you can do is keep your SWR low (get an SWR meter), your antenna ‘gain’ high, and your antenna up high. I made a contact to Guam back in February in the 28mhz band, CB is 27mhz or so. I was using a center fed wire G5RV antenna 60 foot off the ground with each end 40 feet off the ground and 100 watts. I don’t think I could have made that contact with 4 watts.

Also, certain times of the day and year are better for long range propagation. In general with 4 watts you should have line of sight max 20 miles, shorter if there are buildings or mountains in your way. Shorter as in 1 – 5 miles depending on conditions. Now you get yourself on the top of a mountain and you can talk line of sign for 100 miles off 4 watts.

I recommend everyone getting an amateur radio license. It really lifts restrictions and gives you the ability to legally talk around the world with more reliability than CB.

alwayscross

Okay so forget my friend, Phil has got this XD

PhilTheBiker

bigpaul

I have an emergency hand cranked(known over here as a wind up) radio but TBH its not something that’s going to loom large in my list of priorities.

PhilTheBiker

@bigpaul 19982 wrote:

I have an emergency hand cranked(known over here as a wind up) radio but TBH its not something that’s going to loom large in my list of priorities.

That’s why I recommend one that doubles as an alert station. Here in the US NOAA.GOV will send out an alert in areas where there are sever weather problems on the way. Then you have an every day use for it as well 🙂

But yes, this is not the highest item on my personal list but one that I should probably pick up someday!

Matt

@philthebiker 19983 wrote:

That’s why I recommend one that doubles as an alert station. Here in the US NOAA.GOV will send out an alert in areas where there are sever weather problems on the way. Then you have an every day use for it as well 🙂

But yes, this is not the highest item on my personal list but one that I should probably pick up someday!

Thanks man. I did some more research from what you guys posted and found a site that compares a few of them with features he said he got from survivalists but no voyager. It looks like a good radio though and will make the old lady happy. Happy wife happy life they say. I’ll post the link later if I can find it on my other computer. Might be helpful.

firemedic4

@philthebiker 19981 wrote:

This radio appears to have the features that I discussed.
    KA500-GR Voyager 5-Way Powered Crank Emergency AM/FM/SW NOAA Weather Radio – Green from Kaito

Got one works great, have used it a couple of times.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.