Expiration of food?

Home Forums Homesteading Expiration of food?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Andieisme 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Andieisme

Hi! I’m completely new to this, but wanted to find some real information on preparing for various disasters that could occur.

I’m concerned about the shelf life of pre packaged foods. I mean, what do I do with all that food if by the end of the shelf life I have had no need to use them? Eat them? Other suggestions? Would a food bank want them?

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I think its best to store what you already eat that way you can always be using the items nearest to the expiration date. When we first started focusing on food storage we wanted to be able to store as much food possible without having to make changes to our regular diet. For the most part we was able to achieve this without adding any new kind of meals but our selection of meal choices was somewhat reduced at least initially.

My wife is no Betty Crocker but she’s getting better at cooking up some of those meals we gave up on by using made from scratch ingredients.

I’ve also realized that with our eating habits it was much hard for us to store what we eat during the summer months which for us in Texas is 9 months of the year. This was mainly due to our meals being so heavily influenced by meats (beef & chicken) alone. So with that we haven’t removed meats from our diet just incorporated less of involved with the meals utilizing more rice, pasta and involves more canned foods.

If the need ever came up in which our food was nearing expiration before we could use it we’d just donate to our church.

00_Jackie

In a perfect world, if you buy what you normally eat, you can rotate it and as you eat the food, replenish stock.
    I know what you mean though, it isn’t a perfect world. I have given away some things that either were ready to expire or had expired recently.
    Some items like pasta (macaroni, noodles etc) rice and beans I store in 2 liter soda bottles, gatorade bottles, and 16.9 oz water bottles (got the idea from pinterest). You can
    pour out only what you want to use and screw the lid right back on.
    I add a moisture absorber packet or two and believe these will last a very long time. I don’t even worry about an expiration date on those.

Andieisme

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m a fresh food junkie, but have a healthy canned food supply (for a two person family). So, I am hoping to find types of food that won’t make me turn into a skeleton if it becomes my main staple due to a disaster.

I’ve also learned that book mites will find their way into pasta and rice storage if given the opportunity. They like the starch because it is just like their main food source, books! Even some water tight containers don’t keep them out.

alwayscross

Already said but yeah store food you already eat, personal favourite is tuna as its a solid can of protein and lasts long. You really don’t have to listen to expiration dates to much as that’s if its been stored in bad condition, they usually have another couples of days before there bad. Just store foods you already eat and once you have eaten half restock and so on, I’ve been doing it for a while and its easy once you get started.

PhilTheBiker

I once ate some home canned deer meat that was 5 years old. It tasted great!

If stored properly I think food lasts longer than anyone can imagine.

especially for items such as honey

Quick Honey Facts

It was reported that archaeologists found 2000 year old jars of honey in Egyptian tombs and they still tasted delicious!

alwayscross

@philthebiker 20119 wrote:

I once ate some home canned deer meat that was 5 years old. It tasted great!

If stored properly I think food lasts longer than anyone can imagine.

especially for items such as honey

Quick Honey Facts

Honey technically does not have a cell by date, plus is extremely good for you. Its one of the reason i wanted to go into be keeping, I may start at a later date though. Would be good for your farm.

PhilTheBiker

I know a bee keeper who lives on 0.08 acres! She has a VERY small yard in the city of Pittsburgh and has 3 or 4 bee hives.

alwayscross

@philthebiker 20125 wrote:

I know a bee keeper who lives on 0.08 acres! She has a VERY small yard in the city of Pittsburgh and has 3 or 4 bee hives.

Honestly I would but I just dont have the time, maybe at a later date.

bigpaul

Store what you eat and eat what you store, don’t buy stuff you don’t normally eat just cos its on offer-it will probably get left at the back of the cupboard. and Rotate, Rotate, Rotate.

firemedic4

I have eaten military C-rations dated 1944! They were good, cause I was hungry.

alwayscross

@firemedic4 20131 wrote:

I have eaten military C-rations dated 1944! They were good, cause I was hungry.

Pretty sure anyone would eat anything if there hungry, I know I would.

otis302

Last year I got sick for 3 days eating out of my pack the date was ok but that works only if stored in a cool dry place

boisdarc

this is not first hand knowledge, but, a friend at work and I were talking about stored food. He had seen that a canned meat(like Hormel or spam) had been found at the bottom of a river or lake(I can’t remember) from a boat wreck like a hundred years ago. The can was still ok and the meat was ok to eat. Of course any can that is bulged, rusty, or sketchy looking I would not chance eating. Honey has been eaten from the pyramids in Egypt, it is a super food. If it dries and hardens up into crystals, just heat it up and it turns back into sweet bliss. I should mention I eat about a pound and a half(or more) every two weeks. P.S. I just found that spam has a BACON now.

PhilTheBiker

We are in the process of eating all of the deer meat in the freezer from last season. I guess I get to eat steak for 3 weeks straight. darn.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.