First ever pistol what is a good choice

Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry First ever pistol what is a good choice

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  floridaprepper 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

This will be my first ever pistol i am looking for somthin a little bit bigger then a 22 but not quite as big as a 357 and at a good price to any suggestions

Andrew

It depends on your budget. I am always goign to recommend a glock 17 or 19 for a first gun. They are reliable, well known and should be easy to find parts or a gunsmith for in a SHTF situation. That being said, a used one is around $400.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I’d also vote for the Glock 17 as the top pick but depending on your size the Glock 19 might be easier to conceal carry.

JulioTheSavage

I would also recommend a Glock 17 or 19. Simple and reliable. No safety to fumble with(might forget under stress) And not to mention they are 9mm. It’s a great choice. I personally own a G19.

otis302

rock with a Glock hundreds of after market parts you have a choice in frame size full, compact and sub compact in different calibers.

PhilTheBiker

My first handgun was a Glock 17. Almost too big to conceal carry so I carry on my hip most of the time. Glock 26 fits in my pocket.

You can often find used police G17s ones for under $350.

I also wouldn’t rule out a revolver, especially one without a hammer to get snagged on anything.

One thing I don’t like about my Glock’s are the width. Because the magazine is double stacked it’s fatter than some other handguns on the market. The nice part about 9mm in the Glock 17 is that you can get 17+1 shots.

I carry my Glock daily, but I’m looking for something thinner, but it’s a trade off with the number of rounds I carry. G17 plus extra mag I carry = 35 rounds, plus sometimes I also carry the Glock 26 with 10 rounds ( or my wife does ).

Andrew

Not up to date but a good video that briefly compares many of the common sub compact pistols available.

DCortez

One of the best shooters for me, in the $500-$600 range, is a Beretta 92fs. I love those guns.

I’ve shot Glocks but don’t like them or own one, heck, add Sig to that list. That said, it depends on your budget and hand size.

PhilTheBiker

I’d like to add a 92 to my collection. My friend has a sig in .40, not sure what it was exactly, but I loved it.

Andrew

The Beretta 92 with accessory rail is over $600 now. Way to spendy.

yall do have good advice but i dont like semi automatic pistols like the glock i prefer to stick to the revolvers like the ones i was raised on

DCortez

Try a S&W 686+. You can shoot .38 spl and if you ever wanted, .357.

Andrew

@dcortez 16266 wrote:

Try a S&W 686+. You can shoot .38 spl and if you ever wanted, .357.

686 is a beautiful gun. It is way overpriced though.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1841[/ATTACH]

PhilTheBiker

I think conceal carry revolvers should be hammer less models.

Andrew

@philthebiker 16276 wrote:

I think conceal carry revolvers should be hammer less models.

Because I always wanted to CC a S&W 686 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.