Home Forums Survival Skills Fishing

Tagged: 

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  PhilTheBiker 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

PhilTheBiker

I haven’t fished in years. I remember fishing all the time when I was growing up with my dad. Today I went out catfishing. Didn’t catch anything but had a blast. I was about a 5 minute walk from my PA home. While I didn’t catch anything I sure did enjoy the view.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1151[/ATTACH]

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Probably will have better luck going into the summer when the water temps come up. What was you using for bait? Catfish aren’t very picky but stink baits work good. Fishing for catfish is kind of a cast out and wait. Night fishing on a full moon normally works well for catfish too.

PhilTheBiker

I was using worms. Had some nibbles but didn’t get anything.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@philthebiker 11639 wrote:

I was using worms. Had some nibbles but didn’t get anything.

With worms I’d be fishing top water with a cork more for bass, perch, bluegill, and stuff like that. For catfish I’d go with either some stink bait (best) or maybe even raw shrimp but that might be expensive and shrimp comes off the hook too easy. Also for catfish I think its good to use treble hooks.

Andrew

I have not been fishing since I was 12. I lacked the patience.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I love to fish, just don’t get to do it as often as I’d like. TexasPride is my fishing buddy and we’ve been out neck deep in the Gulf wade fishing with trolling buckets tied around our waist reeling in 2 foot Black Tip Sharks continuously, but we really like to fish for speckled trout. It’s been a really long time since I’ve been fresh water fishing and I want to go especially because it’s more fun for the kids if they’re constantly reeling in perch & bass.

PhilTheBiker

The best part about that fishing day.. The View!!!!!

azurevirus

If I wanted catfish I would go pre dawn or after sunset..I would usually catch a few panfish near the bank and cut one or two up and use it for bait.. I fished for the big channel cats..early morning or late evening they seem to come into shallow water to feed

PhilTheBiker

Ill give that a try!

PhilTheBiker

Remember, if a river needs to be stocked with fish in order for you to fish that’s probably not a great place to fish if SHTF and it’s not trout season!

Anyway, I caught two trout opening weekend.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1300[/ATTACH]

otis302

I look at it 2 different ways I fish to eat and fish to relax, home living 1/2 mile from the ocean I caught lots and until the run off from the farms and cane fields which caused high mercury levels a bass was the ticket between the the food source and just plain relaxing you just cant beat it

SCpatriot

For catfish, and catfish is a big part of my normal diet, my bait of choice is chicken liver. It is cheap, stinks, and works like a charm.

kjpilot

I have used many baits, up north i would a blue gill they do work nice for big cats Here in Fl. we use alot of different things Scollops, cut bait, worms ,night crawler, shrimp they all work good shinners are good to shinners work good for the big bass we have here also.

hpb13

Crawdads work great . had them up home & found them here in fla.

Sharpe

I’ve just recently began to seriously fish in the past year or so. I only ever did it once as a kid, and now as a 20 year old i find it enjoyable and relaxing. I’ve only ever caught a few fish though. but i found this one part of a river in South Carolina where the fish bite all day long depending on your bait choice. I hope to expand my knowledge of fishing so i can be better just incase SHTF.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.