Food Storage Pictures

Home Forums Homesteading Food Storage Pictures

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Tony Lane 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

So after going thru some of canned goods that have become old that we donate to charity I thought it’d be a good idea of sharing some food storage pictures to inspire others. I’m waiting re-stock the food storage cabinet and get it a little better organized after cleaning thru it today before taking pictures of it but I do have some military issued MRE’s most of which have been opened during past hurricanes but have still kept the things that haven’t been eaten neatly organized.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]116[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]115[/ATTACH]

These MRE’s was made in 2005 and I’m not sure if all the contents of them would still be good but I’m sure they’d all be edible in a SHTF scenario. They’ve been kept between 65F to 78F degrees since I’ve had them and its my understanding that heat is a major factor in their life span. Its also my understand that they never really lose calorie content but the vitamins gradually become non-existent over time. So if you’re stocking MRE’s it might be a good idea to keep on hand some good multivitamins for proper nutrition. And the dry packs last virtually forever its the wet packs you’d have to worry about.

azurevirus

Used to have an milsurp store about 2 miles from here..got alot of stuff from that store, visit with the guy for hours as it didnt get much traffic..pretty neat guy but he got some sort of blood cancer and died shortly after diagnoses..they emptied the store and it soon became a stripper joint of all things..I loved going into that store..he would sit there and watch tv, feed the wood stove and say ” if you need something just holler” anyone could have stole him blind..I dont think he would have cared..he was elderly and lived in a 18 camper out back..anyways, I got my first and last MRE there..got one for my friend and myself..we both got sick after eating them..wish the old dude and his store was still there though..just a neat place to kick back and hang out

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

lol @ military surplus store turned stripper joint. If they left it disguised as military surplus might not be a bad place to hide from the wife.

DCortez

What brand of MRE and where did you buy?

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

[ATTACH=CONFIG]119[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]120[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]121[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]122[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]123[/ATTACH]

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Just an update we’ve outgrown that little hidden pantry and have started putting things in our spare bathroom.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]286[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]287[/ATTACH]

00_Jackie

You just gave me an idea. I have 4 bedrooms in my house. You just gave me the idea to use one of the upstairs bedrooms(which is small compared to the others) as my stockpile room. A lot of my stuff is in my storm cellar right now, but I need to have it more easily accessible. I also have ammo, BOB, flashlights, medical bag etc in closets throughout the house. I have been thinking about where to store my stockpile for some time. It is growing and I need more room for it so I can keep everything organized, in one central location and rotate out my food supply, etc. I thought about the shop bldg. but heat and cold are an issue since since I don’t heat or cool it. Not sure why I didn’t think of that smaller bedroom before now but thanks for mentioning that you use your spare bathroom!

PhilTheBiker

It’s just my wife and I. My wife is always buying stuff so our pantry is always full. I figure we have about 1 months worth of food. I can make that last longer if I start hunting the neighborhood stray cats and birds.

vbreferee

I would love to use a spare room for supplies, but my wife is a hoarder as well. Spare rooms are full of (her)junk. We are conscious of storing supplies on exterior walls, so if the house collapsed i.e. from a tornado or earthquake, we would know where to start looking. I also have everything on my Bug Out List identified by the room where it is located, so if we had to GOOD, we could do so pretty quickly.

Jackie – something you might want to consider, since Oklahoma is also tornado prone. Use a downstairs bedroom rather than upstairs; upstairs might not be accessible.

Sharpe

I’ve been planning on building a Water Storage Tank, that could store a good supply of Water after its been Purified, Not sure how i should go about building it.

AluminumTray

Price is going up. They were $8.00 a box a couple months ago. Bought 2 more the day before yesterday. My left pantry door makes a great shelf to put stuff above my refrigerator, as you can see.

alwayscross

I keep all my bug-in/shtf food hidden away away under the floor boards, there are a group which can be lifted so things can be very well hidden. The reason for hiding them is because for all I know SHTF starts when im away, so for all I know everything I have stored a could have been looted by the time I get back. I swap my food supplies out every month so I know everything is fresh, plus keeping a mental check on how much I have.

AluminumTray

@alwayscross 20695 wrote:

I keep all my bug-in/shtf food hidden away away under the floor boards, there are a group which can be lifted so things can be very well hidden. The reason for hiding them is because for all I know SHTF starts when im away, so for all I know everything I have stored a could have been looted by the time I get back. I swap my food supplies out every month so I know everything is fresh, plus keeping a mental check on how much I have.

My kitchen windows are cardboarded up, with curtains in front of the cardboard. From the outside, everything looks normal. Btw, I have locks on my doors, and a big barking guard dog behind the doors. This all started when I got my dog. My dog couldn’t get into canned (armored) food, so I’ve been living on canned food (and rice, and oatmeal, etc.) ever since. I can be at home on the internet 24 hours a day for months at a time (sleeping at home of course) and that’s also where my stocking up on food comes from. If the SHTF I’ll be ready, but I’m not prepping for SHTF specifically. I live on my supplies.

firemedic4

@00_jackie 4624 wrote:

You just gave me an idea. I have 4 bedrooms in my house. You just gave me the idea to use one of the upstairs bedrooms(which is small compared to the others) as my stockpile room. A lot of my stuff is in my storm cellar right now, but I need to have it more easily accessible. I also have ammo, BOB, flashlights, medical bag etc in closets throughout the house. I have been thinking about where to store my stockpile for some time. It is growing and I need more room for it so I can keep everything organized, in one central location and rotate out my food supply, etc. I thought about the shop bldg. but heat and cold are an issue since since I don’t heat or cool it. Not sure why I didn’t think of that smaller bedroom before now but thanks for mentioning that you use your spare bathroom!

That’s what this forum is all about for me, to get ideas and information. Great place aint it?

alwayscross

@aluminumtray 20697 wrote:

My kitchen windows are cardboarded up, with curtains in front of the cardboard. From the outside, everything looks normal. Btw, I have locks on my doors, and a big barking guard dog behind the doors. This all started when I got my dog. My dog couldn’t get into canned (armored) food, so I’ve been living on canned food (and rice, and oatmeal, etc.) ever since. I can be at home on the internet 24 hours a day for months at a time (sleeping at home of course) and that’s also where my stocking up on food comes from. If the SHTF I’ll be ready, but I’m not prepping for SHTF specifically. I live on my supplies.

Unfortunately im out the house from 4:30am till between 9:30 at the earliest, even with dogs I wouldn’t take that risk so I keep it extremely hidden. As for the canned food I will cycle through it with stuff not for shtf, as long as I keep my mouth shut about its location I should be good. But honestly if you have that much time free you should really be practising your combat or survival skills and not on the internet, I know I would.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.