Home Forums Homesteading Fruit Trees

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  vbreferee 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

vbreferee

Has anybody tried to grow fruit trees or bushes? I wanted to plant some, but really don’t know the first thing about it. Is there a best time of year to plant apple or peach trees? What about blackberry or blueberry bushes? What type of climate is best?

How about nut trees or peanuts? Has anybody tried this? I also want to plant sunflowers. Everything with the intention of being able to raise some kind of food,and can also be converted into other products i.e. oils for cooking.

PhilTheBiker

I would imagine that nut trees would bring all kinds of critters to your door. One thing to remember about any kind of fruit tree. Bee’s! Especially orange trees you’ll get a lot of Yellow Jackets. Be sure to clean up any fruit that falls or risk having lots of pests you may not like.

also, some fancy genetic splicing has come up with trees that can produce different types of apples / pears. My father had a pear tree that produced 4 different types of pears. I would tend to stay away from Cherry Trees because as soon as they are ready to pick the birds will have probably cleaned the tree for you. My in-laws have tons of blueberry bushes. They freeze a lot of them blueberries. Very low maintenance bush.

As for climate, I would call up your local nursery and ask what they recommend. For the most part in Missouri you should be able to grow apples, blue berries, pears, maybe even grapes. Plum trees always seem to work as they are pretty hardy.

Good luck!

azurevirus

I only know of one person who has planted them in my locale..she was an elderly lady who planted three..one was a pear thats all I remember except that she passed shortly after and two of the three trees contracted some disease and died..that being said, I think I would like the idea of planting fruit trees if one has the place for them..Im all for having renewable food resources whenever possible..please keep us informed if you decide to plant them and how they.

vbreferee

Phil – Thanks for the info. There are some people who grow grapes. I hadn’t thought of those. Very interesting about your father’s pear tree. I have never heard of anything like that. We do have a pretty temperate climate, and there are orchards all over the place. Our first house had two apple trees, but we never got any fruit. You are right. We got bees. Blueberries may be the ticket. I will keep you posted.

00_Jackie

Contact your local home extension office, listed in the phone book, they will be able to give you all the information you need. For free. They have printed information they will give you as well. Most people don’t know how much great stuff and information is available and free for the asking at this source. It is a GREAT resource for almost anything you can think of.

PhilTheBiker

I watching the Amish show last night about people not wanting to be Amish. Anyway, I noticed that an Amish lady in Missouri was canning what looked like pears. Just something I noticed.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

So when I moved here early last year the guy living here before me had a small tree growing in the yard he called a “citrus tree.” Correct me if I’m wrong but a citrus tree could be many different things, right? Anyways he said it would not grow and it really hasn’t grown but this year I got what currently looks like a bunch of small limes on it but I’m guessing it might turn out to be oranges or something. The tree is only like 3 foot tall but really bushy and its covered with these small fruits. Next time I go out in the yard and am thinking about it I’ll post a picture and show.

vbreferee

My neighbor across the street had a pear tree, but I don’t know if he ever got any fruit. It was scrawny and kind on sickly looking. My parents had a lemon tree in Arizona. They got tons of lemons for many years. The tree was about 15-20 feet high; very thick and bushy with long thorns. We had homemade lemonade all year.

I will check with a nursery, but I think this is a bad time to plant. I am not a gardener, but I have always been advised NOT to plant trees or shrubs in a month that doesn’t have an “R” in it i.e May-August. Anybody else heard this?

PhilTheBiker

Most fruit trees take several years before they bear fruit. Expect to wait 3 – 4 years before you get anything.

I’ve always heard the trees are best to be planted in the fall. No clue why.

As for the ‘citrus’ tree. I think that means some sort of orange. Those are some of the worst for attracting bees. BUT, if you are a big time gardener having the bees naturally near by is a good thing!! In Florida they often plan a pine tree in the middle of an orange field. Not exactly sure, but apparently the pine tree helps out the orange trees (maybe that is where the bees hang out? No clue). But yea, citrus probably means orange, tangerine, or whatever.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

[ATTACH=CONFIG]318[/ATTACH]

This is a picture of the “citrus tree” I was talking about if anybody has a guess on what kind of fruits I can expect to get from this.

tcindie

That looks a lot like a tree I picked up at Home Depot last year.. Mine didn’t survive, since I live in a cold climate and had to plant it in a container (also live in a townhouse). If I remember correctly, mine was a tangelo tree. It’s hard to say though, there are a lot of citrus fruits.

It could be limes, or something more like what I had.

PhilTheBiker

pick one in a few weeks and cut into it.

vbreferee

The leaves and the young fruit look very similar to the lemon tree my folks had. See if the fruit turns yellow as it matures.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Doesn’t lemon trees naturally repel mosquito’s? I live in a area that has severe mosquito infestation they’re practically bred right down the road in the marsh lands and they’ve never been too incredibly bad in our yard compared to the surrounding areas.

vbreferee

My folks lived in Tucson. Mosquities were the last thing they had to worry about. Maybe your is working and you didn’t know it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.