Home Forums Homesteading Fruit Trees

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  vbreferee 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

PhilTheBiker

So a neighbor down the road (ok, maybe like 10 miles down the road) has all sorts of apple and pear trees. He gave us an apple, I pulled the seeds and I’m trying to germinate them now. I’ve done a little bit of internet research and it was suggested to place the seeds in a damp paper towel, stick them in an air tight container, and place that container in the fridge for 2 weeks.

Ok, that step is now done.

I’ll check back in two weeks and let you know if any of them have germinated.

alwayscross

On my way home I come across hundreds of blackberry bushes, food for days to say the least. I also come across sun flowers, apples, raspberries and a few others. Its nice eating fresh none mass produced fruits, by the time im done picking and eating it all im to full to walk.

PhilTheBiker

@alwayscross 20435 wrote:

On my way home I come across hundreds of blackberry bushes, food for days to say the least. I also come across sun flowers, apples, raspberries and a few others. Its nice eating fresh none mass produced fruits, by the time im done picking and eating it all im to full to walk.

And all of that stuff can be preserved for the winter. Maybe canned apple sauce, blackberry jam, dried sunflower seeds.

My blackberry bush is doing pretty well. I hope to get fruit from it next year. I just planted it this year.

alwayscross

@philthebiker 20436 wrote:

And all of that stuff can be preserved for the winter. Maybe canned apple sauce, blackberry jam, dried sunflower seeds.

My blackberry bush is doing pretty well. I hope to get fruit from it next year. I just planted it this year.

I end just collecting some of them and leaving the rest to grow, expect for the blackberries as there are hundreds. But im going to start attempting to preserve them, good practice for late SHTF. To late in the year to do it now but next year no doubt.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.