Getting to your bug out location?

Home Forums Planning & Preparation Getting to your bug out location?

This topic contains 32 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Anjilo smith 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

While I’m making post about bug out locations and the other day when discussing having to travel many miles to make it home from work location I really started thinking about all the bridges that must be crossed. How many bridges and/or large bodies of water must you cross to get to your bug out location?

The reason I feel this is important is because in a disaster or SHTF scenario there could heavy traffic, wrecks, or abandoned vehicles left on the bridges preventing you to pass thru. Not to mention there might be structure damage or a total collapse of the bridge from the result of earthquake.

Honestly where I live I couldn’t make it very far in a vehicle without coming to a bridge and I couldn’t travel too much further on foot without having to swim across a small creek or river.

azurevirus

Traffic and or abandoned vehicles blocking a bridge or roadway could terminate any bugout attempt then and there..not to mention the possibilities of traps within..my best bet is to stay where I am ..take out as many as I can before they get me

Alonso1

I’ve been looking at this too. Coming from work and most places I travel, returning home takes me over a river, and many other bodies of water. Just the other day I was looking on line at inflatable life vest. The prices ranged from $200 to $80 bucks.

I was think about getting a good quality inflatable, Co2 vest to pack in my BOB for me and a less costly life vest to attach to my BOB (It has a lot on ammo in it). I should put some vest in my vehilce for my family.

I know it sounds a little extreme but if you live around the water it’s part of being prepared.

PhilTheBiker

I’m new, as you can see by the number of posts I have (this is my first post). Honestly, I’m riding a motorcycle (go figure by my screen name). When the big east coast quake hit my normal commute from work takes 25 – 35 minutes but traffic was so backed up with everyone trying to get out of the city it probably would have been 50 minutes or longer. That day on the motorcycle I did it in 15 minutes. Yeah, I was going a little to fast. I split lanes, cut up traffic, and got to the front of every line. Cars blocking the box was not an issue. I also had a choice of two routes out of the city, the freeway and the back roads (if you can call it that). I took the streets because I knew everyone was going to be on the freeway because that’s all they know. 15 minutes and I was home with my wife. Some co-workers took hours.

The downside, all of my G.O.O.D. gear is at home. My BOB is at home. I have just a few simple things with me on the bike. Cash, flash light, some basic tools, compact knife, and that was it. I need to invest in a tire repair kit that can go under my seat or in the bag I take every day to work and it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to have some matches or a lighter.

Yet another great reason to ride a motorcycle to work. SHTF and traffic is a non-issue (unless the bridge is completely out, but then that’s another story).

00_Jackie

@azurevirus 760 wrote:

Traffic and or abandoned vehicles blocking a bridge or roadway could terminate any bugout attempt then and there..not to mention the possibilities of traps within..my best bet is to stay where I am ..take out as many as I can before they get me

That is my plan too. I have a rural location, out of the way and if I can’t make it there I am sunk anyway.

azurevirus

Plan B for me is to jump on my fully loaded atv, hit the road at 45 mph while dressed in my black Burka and Hajib..making that funny tongue noise the eastern ladies make with an Ak strapped to my back..that should shock n’awe anyone I meet long enough to get passed them Im thinking..no?..Okayyyy ..back to plan A it is then 🙁

PhilTheBiker

@azurevirus 2353 wrote:

Plan B for me is to jump on my fully loaded atv, hit the road at 45 mph while dressed in my black Burka and Hajib..making that funny tongue noise the eastern ladies make with an Ak strapped to my back

LOL!! Something tells me if it wasn’t the coming of the zombies but a terrorist plot, some local rednecks might shoot you first 😎

vbreferee

I am fortunate. Depending on where I am at the time I have at least two ways of getting out of Dodge without having to cross any bodies of water. I have never considered it, but I have heard of people who will use the waterways as a means of evacuation. Small boats or canoes could get you out of the area, but I don’t know where that leaves you. My back up if the vehicle goes down is a bicycle.

Jhrdwyn

Thankfully I have no water to cross for my B/O location, deep ravines yes (oh joy, oh happy day LOL) – but it did make me rethink some of my packing – *if* my bag got soaked (say the ravines were flooding) I’m now considering the spacebags for food/gun/ammo/etc. as well as ziplock bags (for pocket kit) to keep things dry. Downside? How to test without possibly jacking everything up.:eek:

PhilTheBiker

@jhrdwyn 2780 wrote:

Thankfully I have no water to cross for my B/O location, deep ravines yes (oh joy, oh happy day LOL) – but it did make me rethink some of my packing – *if* my bag got soaked (say the ravines were flooding) I’m now considering the spacebags for food/gun/ammo/etc. as well as ziplock bags (for pocket kit) to keep things dry. Downside? How to test without possibly jacking everything up.:eek:

And hopefully you having no water crossings stays that way! Last thing you need is for a natural disaster of the water proportion to create a water crossing for you.

As for bags, you should check out the type of gear that motorcycle riders use. Do a search for ‘dry bag’. Us motorcyclists are always looking for ways to get to our destination and be able to put on some dry cloths when we are done!

Here is just one link:
    http://www.aerostich.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=dry+bag

You can search for ‘dry bag’. I’m sure you’ll find other outdoor type activities (Kayaking I’m sure) that use similar types of dry bags.

I guess my point is if you use these types of bags you should feel confident that your test will be successful.

Jhrdwyn

@philthebiker 2800 wrote:

And hopefully you having no water crossings stays that way! Last thing you need is for a natural disaster of the water proportion to create a water crossing for you.

As for bags, you should check out the type of gear that motorcycle riders use. Do a search for ‘dry bag’. Us motorcyclists are always looking for ways to get to our destination and be able to put on some dry cloths when we are done!

Here is just one link:
    http://www.aerostich.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=dry+bag

You can search for ‘dry bag’. I’m sure you’ll find other outdoor type activities (Kayaking I’m sure) that use similar types of dry bags.

I guess my point is if you use these types of bags you should feel confident that your test will be successful.

NICE 🙂 Hadn’t even considered looking for another bag – guess I’m too fond of my exes’ military gear LOL Yup, yup, must make an allotment to upgrade the bag. Thx for the heads-up. Yeah, I’m hoping for no water crossing, I’m an excellent swimmer but the truth is things happen and running water is dangerous. I’ve figured 3-4 days to make it to location but the best laid plans and all of that :D.

PhilTheBiker

@jhrdwyn 2822 wrote:

NICE 🙂 Hadn’t even considered looking for another bag – guess I’m too fond of my exes’ military gear LOL Yup, yup, must make an allotment to upgrade the bag. Thx for the heads-up. Yeah, I’m hoping for no water crossing, I’m an excellent swimmer but the truth is things happen and running water is dangerous. I’ve figured 3-4 days to make it to location but the best laid plans and all of that :D.

A lot of the biker gear dry bags are actually made to fit inside of your existing bag. Because motorcyclists use various types of saddle bags you’ll find a dry bag that will fit inside of your BOB. Some people will only put critical items, such as cloths and sleeping bags, inside of the dry bag. Just fine the right one and it will slide right into your existing gear.

Jhrdwyn

@philthebiker 2824 wrote:

A lot of the biker gear dry bags are actually made to fit inside of your existing bag. Because motorcyclists use various types of saddle bags you’ll find a dry bag that will fit inside of your BOB. Some people will only put critical items, such as cloths and sleeping bags, inside of the dry bag. Just fine the right one and it will slide right into your existing gear.

TA Phil, I like that even better; though I guess it’s the same as using spacebags for things I don’t want wet? All this talk did make me realize I need to plan for waterXing, not just for myself but for the gear and dog as well. Looking at life preservers for pets & quick release line; I will hook him & gear to me but if the SHTF in the water I’d have to cut them loose to save myself. I’m looking at the inflatable vests, for use.

PhilTheBiker

@jhrdwyn 2832 wrote:

TA Phil, I like that even better; though I guess it’s the same as using spacebags for things I don’t want wet? All this talk did make me realize I need to plan for waterXing, not just for myself but for the gear and dog as well. Looking at life preservers for pets & quick release line; I will hook him & gear to me but if the SHTF in the water I’d have to cut them loose to save myself. I’m looking at the inflatable vests, for use.

Because someday I want a boat, my wife said “what about the cat?” and I did some quick searching and found a life vest that works for a cat! I imagine there is one for a dog as well. Google/youtube you’ll find it 🙂

It’s also not just about crossing water. Us motorcyclists it’s about getting rained on.

Jhrdwyn

@philthebiker 2837 wrote:

Because someday I want a boat, my wife said “what about the cat?” and I did some quick searching and found a life vest that works for a cat! I imagine there is one for a dog as well. Google/youtube you’ll find it 🙂

It’s also not just about crossing water. Us motorcyclists it’s about getting rained on.

Phil I had to LOL, not because you and your DH (dear-heart) are thinking ahead … I’m just thinking your *cat* may not appreciate the thought 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.