Has anyone ever built an AR15 from a stripped lower? Might be a good idea.

Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry Has anyone ever built an AR15 from a stripped lower? Might be a good idea.

This topic contains 25 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  JulioTheSavage 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

JulioTheSavage

When I decided to buy an AR15 for a SHTF situation I figured why not build one instead of buying one already assembled. Since I’m a mechanic and good with my hands I figured it couldn’t be too hard. In the Marines I learned the basic disassembly and maintenance but I wanted to get more intimate with the black rifle. I think it was a good idea cause in a SHTF event you may need to repair your gun.
    I’m sure some of you guys or gals on here who are gun enthusiasts have already done it, but I’m not sure if other people have thought about it.

PhilTheBiker

Yes, you can, it’s not too hard unless you are talking about building one as in buying an 80% lower, drilling out the proper holes and then attaching a completed upper, stock, trigger group, and barrel. It’s easy to buy all the parts, they are all standard unless you go siaga then they might not be. If you try to build an 80% lower you can avoid all paperwork but can never sell the lower even through a dealer. I have friends that have purchased completed lowers with paperwork, picked up the uppers so they could mix and match exactly what they wanted. I don’t know much and haven’t done any of the above, however, the parts are standard.

JulioTheSavage

@philthebiker 6064 wrote:

Yes, you can, it’s not too hard unless you are talking about building one as in buying an 80% lower, drilling out the proper holes and then attaching a completed upper, stock, trigger group, and barrel. It’s easy to buy all the parts, they are all standard unless you go siaga then they might not be. If you try to build an 80% lower you can avoid all paperwork but can never sell the lower even through a dealer. I have friends that have purchased completed lowers with paperwork, picked up the uppers so they could mix and match exactly what they wanted. I don’t know much and haven’t done any of the above, however, the parts are standard.

Maybe I was misunderstood, that’s my fault:p. I have already built one. I was just suggesting maybe other people should do the same to get a better understanding of the inner workings.

JulioTheSavage

I actually used a stripped lower reciever that I got from a local shop.

PhilTheBiker

@juliothesavage 6075 wrote:

I actually used a stripped lower reciever that I got from a local shop?

You should look into an 80% lower. I’ve heard from people it’s not o hard to build and requires no registration.

JulioTheSavage

@philthebiker 6077 wrote:

You should look into an 80% lower. I’ve heard from people it’s not o hard to build and requires no registration.

I was looking into that but I was weary on the machining neccessary to complete it. If I worked at a machine shop it wouldn’t be so bad. I actually have a video on how to machine the lowers but haven’t watched it yet.

Alonso1

Yep, I’ve built a few from receivers and you sure do learn that rifle when you build her up from scratch. Just don’t get cheap with the parts, you get what you pay for. A guy I know had less than 100 rounds through his AR when his bolt snapped. It was a kit from Model 1 Sales. He said they made it right and who knows it may have been just a fluke. I believe as long as you buy from a reputable company you will have fun and maybe save a little cash building your own AR.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]491[/ATTACH]

JulioTheSavage

@alonso1 6084 wrote:

Yep, I’ve built a few from receivers and you sure do learn that rifle when you build her up from scratch. Just don’t get cheap with the parts, you get what you pay for. A guy I know had less than 100 rounds through his AR when his bolt snapped. It was a kit from Model 1 Sales. He said they made it right and who knows it may have been just a fluke. I believe as long as you buy from a reputable company you will have fun and maybe save a little cash building your own AR.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]491[/ATTACH]

Your right about quality. I wanted make sure I used quality parts. This was my basic build list.
    * Armalite stripped lower receiver
    * Spikes LPK (standard)
    * BCM standard 16″ upper receiver group
    * BCM complete bolt carrier group
    * BCM/Vltor Gunfight medium charging handle
    * BCM/Troy BattleSight (rear backup sight)
    * BCM carbine spring
    * BCM carbine H-buffer
    * Vltor buffer tube, lock ring, end plate
    * Troy BattleRail 9″ drop in midlength handguards
    * Magpul ladder picatinny rail covers
    * Magpul trigger guard (polymer)
    * Magpul STR stock (Milspec)
    * Magpul 30rd magazines (2)
    * Magpul *MIAD pistol grip

Alonso1

* Armalite stripped lower receiver
    * Spikes LPK (standard)
    * BCM standard 16″ upper receiver group
    * BCM complete bolt carrier group
    * BCM/Vltor Gunfight medium charging handle
    * BCM/Troy BattleSight (rear backup sight)
    * BCM carbine spring
    * BCM carbine H-buffer
    * Vltor buffer tube, lock ring, end plate
    * Troy BattleRail 9″ drop in midlength handguards
    * Magpul ladder picatinny rail covers
    * Magpul trigger guard (polymer)
    * Magpul STR stock (Milspec)
    * Magpul 30rd magazines (2)
    * Magpul *MIAD pistol grip

Nice, you can’t go wrong with BCM

PhilTheBiker

@juliothesavage 6079 wrote:

I was looking into that but I was weary on the machining neccessary to complete it. If I worked at a machine shop it wouldn’t be so bad. I actually have a video on how to machine the lowers but haven’t watched it yet.

I think you really only need a jig, drill press and some good colbal type steel bits. Then all of the other parts you can purchase already together and drilled. From that point you have built a legal firearm with no paperwork. That’s my understanding, maybe someday I’ll try it but I’m fine with just buying the already made bits myself and completing the paperwork. I guess if you were worried the government wanted to take away your guns you might go the build your own receiver route. Doesn’t mean the government won’t show up someday and say “Hey, remember that trigger assembly you purchased, where is it?” because whatever company shipped you the trigger kept records.

JulioTheSavage

@philthebiker 6094 wrote:

I think you really only need a jig, drill press and some good colbal type steel bits. Then all of the other parts you can purchase already together and drilled. From that point you have built a legal firearm with no paperwork. That’s my understanding, maybe someday I’ll try it but I’m fine with just buying the already made bits myself and completing the paperwork. I guess if you were worried the government wanted to take away your guns you might go the build your own receiver route. Doesn’t mean the government won’t show up someday and say “Hey, remember that trigger assembly you purchased, where is it?” because whatever company shipped you the trigger kept records.

I do want to try it. I hate having to go through the waiting period on the lower reciever. I won’t lie I do worry about the govt. confiscating my guns.

PhilTheBiker

Apparently not many tools at all. I donno, nothing I’ll probably ever have time to bother with, but here was some info I found:

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-lower-receiver.html

Recommended Tools
    Completing an 80% Lower Receiver can be accomplished using a variety of tooling and methods, the most common methods require using a manual mill or a drill press. Both manual mills and drill presses can be purchased off web sites like craigslist or ebay as well as from local tooling suppliers. Once you have the machine of your choice, end mills and drills will be required to complete the remaining operations.

PhilTheBiker

Here is a video. Enjoy and have fun dreaming and maybe someday your dream will become reality!

00_Jackie

Ohhhh I didn’t realize you had already built one either. I left a comment about it, so you can ignore it unless I can figure out how to delete it. Sorry

PhilTheBiker

and if at first you do not succeed. use your 3D printer and print one!
    http://www.hausofguns.com/2012/08/23/just-print-your-gun-at-home/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.