Help me select a 308 (7.62×51) rifle

Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry Help me select a 308 (7.62×51) rifle

This topic contains 41 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Andrew

I thought I wanted a AR 10. Now that the time has come to buy one I am not sure an AR 10 is what I want.

I had selected the DPMS L.R. ORACLE 308 16″ Barrel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2102[/ATTACH]

But lately I have been looking at the Zastava M77.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2103[/ATTACH]

Which caused me to consider even other options. My thoughts were; if it costs be around $1200 for the AR10 (rifle, sights, other add on) then why not get a cheaper 308 solution and either save the case or get 2 rifles.

Savage 10 P-SR 308 18-inch HVY THR Black

M1916 Spanish Mauser

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2105[/ATTACH]

So what are your thoughts? In the end I will make my own decision but only a fools refuses to seek the counsel of others.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2104[/ATTACH]

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Do you want a bolt action rifle? As a hunter using a bolt action one thing that I don’t like is soon as I take a shot my immediate response is to cycle the bolt so another shot can taken if needed and that kind of distracts you a bit.

With a AR10 the customization and modification options are endless.

Most of the bolt actions have a screw on weaver rails and that is just one more thing that can eventually come loose throwing off your zero of the scope. I think this contributes to why such rifles have to be zero’d so frequently you’re looking at 2 screws on the weaver rail to the receiver, 2 screws on the mount to the weaver rail, then another 4 on the rings. With an AR platform with the flat top rail depending on optic choice you may only have 2 screws to fasten down to the top rail.

Cost is definitely a consideration because at the price of a AR10 with a decent optic you could probably purchase 3-4 decent bolt action rifles without optics. It all boils down to intended use and some level of quality vs quantity.

Resell values too, it sure seems to me that percentage wise quality name & brand bolt actions will hold their value better than AR’s. People just assume that AR’s have been fired an awful lot and don’t draw the same suspicions of bolt actions.

Andrew

I agree that I will like the AR10 better then any Bolt action I buy. But like you said, it will cost me considerably more. That is why I was considering the Zastava M77

DCortez

I’ve always wanted an AR-10 but it’s way down my list since I want something along LMT quality.

PhilTheBiker

Does the Zastava M77 follow the standard nato magazine sizes that way you don’t have to hunt for some obscure magazine to buy?

What do you want to use the rifle for? Fun? If so, go for it!

Andrew

@philthebiker 17816 wrote:

Does the Zastava M77 follow the standard nato magazine sizes that way you don’t have to hunt for some obscure magazine to buy?

What do you want to use the rifle for? Fun? If so, go for it!

The Zastava takes modified M 14 mags

Andrew

I hope I never need the rifle. I do not need a hunting rifle. If I ever need this it could be used for hunting as well as personal protection. I just want something with a little more power than the 223.

The AR 10 really does meet all my requirements. I just don’t want to pay what they cost. Not even my inexpensive $1000 one i am looking at.

If I can get the Zastava M77 and another 308 rifle for $1200 that just seems like a wiser decision

PhilTheBiker

308 makes a great hunting round.

Here are my thoughts. A bolt action 308 will give you a greater reach and power than a 223/556 round. Then use your 223/556 for 300 meters and under. ? Maybe?

Andrew

Phil,

I agree that a Bolt 308 and AR 5.56 combo has merit. I am looking for a single larger caliber rifle that can be used to take large game and to clear a building. I know the AR10 is the best fit. I just don’t want to pay what the AR10 cost. I also want it in a caliber that is common.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

For what it’s worth on my hunting lease I’ve heard some of the guys talking about another member that seemingly shoots and can’t find the deer he shot every year. Anyways they say the guy is hunting with a .308 and I’m only speculating that over penetration is going clean thru the deer completely allowing the deer to run off and die in the woods.

Andrew

@teknabuzz 17861 wrote:

For what it’s worth on my hunting lease I’ve heard some of the guys talking about another member that seemingly shoots and can’t find the deer he shot every year. Anyways they say the guy is hunting with a .308 and I’m only speculating that over penetration is going clean thru the deer completely allowing the deer to run off and die in the woods.

My primary deer rifle is a .243. I have single purpose rifles for most applications. I am loking for a large caliber tactical rifle. The only reason I am considering bolt rifles is I will buy a bolt and a tactical.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

If I had a AR10 I’d hunt deer with it I think the issue mentioned might be ammo selection.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Andrew

As mentioned earlier the tactical rifle will only be used to hunt game in a TEOTWAWKI sitution and in that case I will not wr overly concerned about ammo selection

Andrew

While I am no closer to selected a main rifle I am considering buying both of the below while I deliberate. Even if they are nto high quality if the trigger is pulled and a bullet exits the end of the barrel they will still work to kill whatever they are aimed at. PLus, now I can launch two more calibers of ammo that I currently do not have a launch platform for.

Russian (MOLOT) 1891/30 B-GRADE 7.6254R Mosin Nagant Rifles $99.99

M1916 Spanish Mauser Cal. .308 Win $169

Andrew

Here is an article on the Spanish Mauser in 308 that I am considering buying. I have concerns about the pressure of modern ammo in the rifle. I emailed the distributor (SAMCO) and the attached article is what they sent me.

[ATTACH]2118[/ATTACH]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Help me select a 308 (7.62×51) rifle’ is closed to new replies.