Help me select a 308 (7.62×51) rifle

Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry Help me select a 308 (7.62×51) rifle

This topic contains 41 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author

PhilTheBiker

@teknabuzz 17864 wrote:

If I had a AR10 I’d hunt deer with it I think the issue mentioned might be ammo selection.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

In most states it is illegal to hunt deer with a semi auto anything.

Andrew

I do not think the state law on weapon type would be a concern in a SHTF situation.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@philthebiker 17892 wrote:

In most states it is illegal to hunt deer with a semi auto anything.

I didn’t know other states had such laws in regards to semi-autos but was aware of magazine restrictions elsewhere, it’s perfectly legal here:

fully automatic firearms are not legal.a shotgun is the only legal firearm for hunting migratory game birds (see Definitions – Legal Shotgun).
    Silencers may be used to take any wildlife resource; however, all federal, state and local laws continue to apply.
    Nongame Animals (Non-Protected) may be hunted with any lawful firearm, pellet gun, or other air gun.

Magazine Capacity
    There are no restrictions on the number of shells or cartridges a legal firearm may hold when hunting game animals or game birds (except migratory game birds, see Legal Shotgun).

https://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/general-regulations/means-and-methods

That’s another +1 for Texas. We just passed the silencers into law a year or two ago.

PhilTheBiker

Very nice! Yeah, my 10/22 is not legal to take any game, even small game. Bolt, pump, or lever action only.

Andrew

If I remember correctly Oregon does not ban semi autos but does have a round restriction

PhilTheBiker

I only hunted archery when I was young, never hunted in Oregon as an adult.

PhilTheBiker

Maybe what you really need as a Mark 11 military sniper rifle. I’m guessing this rifle is different than an AR10, ??

Andrew

@philthebiker 17917 wrote:

I only hunted archery when I was young, never hunted in Oregon as an adult.

My sister and her husband live in Oregon. Near the Albany area. They both bow hunt.

Andrew

I bought the M1916 Spanish Mauser in .308 Win this evening. $169.95. Even if I end up having to refinish the stock it will be worth it. I am looking forward to it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2122[/ATTACH]

Info on a few that have been bought and refinished.

Another write up here.

Andrew

I think I have settled on the Zastava PAP M77 as my second .308 platform. That being said I did find this rifle earlier today.

Mossberg 27200 ATR Night Train w/4-16x50mm Scope SA Bolt 308 Win 22″ Syn Stk
    [IMG]http://www.firearms4u.com/images/product/image.php?s=1&id=61862[/IMG]
    $437

PhilTheBiker

I have this Savage Axis in 30-06 and I love it. retails $462
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2155[/ATTACH]
    Savage Arms

Andrew

@philthebiker 18054 wrote:

I have this Savage Axis in 30-06 and I love it. retails $462
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2155[/ATTACH]
    Savage Arms

Did it come with the scope? If so, which scope is it?

Andrew

Saw this yesterday. Contemplating it. It has everything I want…but it also has the $1000 price tag. I would not have to buy different furniture or sights for it. Just magazines and ammo. I invested alot of time and research in the Zastava PAP M77 .308 Rifle though and I love to tinker and build things myself. I suppose I need to figure out how much the Zastava M77 will really cost one I make all the changes I want to make soI can do an hinest dollar to dollar comparison.

Bushmaster XM10 16″ Magpul .308

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2164[/ATTACH]

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@andrew.anderson 18194 wrote:

Saw this yesterday. Contemplating it. It has everything I want…but it also has the $1000 price tag. I would not have to buy different furniture or sights for it. Just magazines and ammo. I invested alot of time and research in the Zastava PAP M77 .308 Rifle though and I love to tinker and build things myself. I suppose I need to figure out how much the Zastava M77 will really cost one I make all the changes I want to make soI can do an hinest dollar to dollar comparison.

Bushmaster XM10 16″ Magpul .308

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2164[/ATTACH]

You bring up a good point and a lot of people will go buy a $1000 AR and replace half of what came with it. For an AR10 I think I’d rather have either low profile or railed gas block instead of a front sight post, just because I just couldn’t have a .308 without a scope on it and it looks funny with a front sight post behind that tall iron sight if you ask me. I would however have some sort of folding backup sights though.

Andrew

@teknabuzz 18200 wrote:

You bring up a good point and a lot of people will go buy a $1000 AR and replace half of what came with it. For an AR10 I think I’d rather have either low profile or railed gas block instead of a front sight post, just because I just couldn’t have a .308 without a scope on it and it looks funny with a front sight post behind that tall iron sight if you ask me. I would however have some sort of folding backup sights though.

The only thing I would add is a sling (which I already have) and then a Magpul angled foregrip that fits to that Magpul foreend.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Help me select a 308 (7.62×51) rifle’ is closed to new replies.