Help me select a 308 (7.62×51) rifle

Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry Help me select a 308 (7.62×51) rifle

This topic contains 41 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #18347

    PhilTheBiker
    Moderator

    @andrew.anderson 18056 wrote:

    Did it come with the scope? If so, which scope is it?

    Yes, it did, but I’m not sure what brand it really is. It has stayed on zero, i’ve put maybe 30-40 rounds through the rifle total. Zoom is 3-9×40 and I’d say at 100 yards quarters are easy to hit, at 200 yards half dollars or maybe a little larger. The longer range shots it doesn’t zoom as much as I would like, but, I’m confident that I could make and hit a 5 foot tall animal at 400 yards with the first round. I might not kill that animal as it could end up being a gut shot, but the animal would be in some serious pain. I’m still using Remington Core Lokt rounds. They say to zero at 200 yards and you have a 52 inch drop at 500 yards. Mil dots and the knowledge of how to use them on a scope would be priceless for determining range. If you zero at 100 yards the drop is 15 inches at 300 yards. That’s a little more manageable without mildots.

    I would like a better zoom for a longer range.

    The trigger is nice and smooth. I’ve pulled a shot once and missed a deer, but that was all me and not the rifle. Not enough practice.

    Hope this helps.

    #18364

    Andrew
    Moderator

    @teknabuzz 18200 wrote:

    YFor an AR10 I think I’d rather have either low profile or railed gas block instead of a front sight post, just because I just couldn’t have a .308 without a scope on it and it looks funny with a front sight post behind that tall iron sight if you ask me. I would however have some sort of folding backup sights though.

    The frotn site post is nto a deal breaker for me. If I but optics on it it would only be a MIL-DOT Reticle with, at most, a 4x magnification. I am a fan of iron sites.

    #18365

    Andrew
    Moderator

    Now I am not sure I want to go with a rifle that shoots the 7.62 x 51 round. It is extremely cost prohibitive.

    #18337

    TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

    @andrew.anderson 18749 wrote:

    Now I am not sure I want to go with a rifle that shoots the 7.62 x 51 round. It is extremely cost prohibitive.

    I’m all for having as much ammo on hand as possible but when it comes to a rounds that you specifically plan to use for hunting do you really need have 1000 rounds of it. I really should keep better inventory of how much ammo I have at any given time but just guessing I only somewhere between 100-140 rounds of 30-06 atm while having 1000s of 9mm and probably getting uncomfortably low on .223/5.56 which I also like to have a lot of. When I shoot the hunting rifle it’s to either kill something or check the zero of the scope so I don’t go thru much ammo in that caliber.

    #18366

    Andrew
    Moderator

    @teknabuzz 18758 wrote:

    I’m all for having as much ammo on hand as possible but when it comes to a rounds that you specifically plan to use for hunting do you really need have 1000 rounds of it. I really should keep better inventory of how much ammo I have at any given time but just guessing I only somewhere between 100-140 rounds of 30-06 atm while having 1000s of 9mm and probably getting uncomfortably low on .223/5.56 which I also like to have a lot of. When I shoot the hunting rifle it’s to either kill something or check the zero of the scope so I don’t go thru much ammo in that caliber.

    I agree that for your hunting or larger caliber sniper type rifles you do not need as many rounds. For me at least the cost of stocking those rounds and the availability of those rounds is a consideration when I choose a launch platform for rounds. I already have a .243 and .270 for hunting/sniping. Just looking to get a large caliber rifle that can multitask as a MBR or sniper rifle.

    #18367

    Andrew
    Moderator

    All this research and I end up buying and AR 10 like I origionally wanted and a Remington 783 in .308.

    #18372

    hpb13
    Member

    My thoughts just my .02 . would be either a nef handi rifle or a bolt gun. If i wanted a semi/ fa id go with a ar10 platform. Personaly id take a nef. But that varies on your operating area.

    #18368

    Andrew
    Moderator

    @hpb13 19272 wrote:

    My thoughts just my .02 . would be either a nef handi rifle or a bolt gun. If i wanted a semi/ fa id go with a ar10 platform. Personaly id take a nef. But that varies on your operating area.

    What do you mean by nef?

    I ended up getting a bolt action Remington 783 and an AR 10 (XM-10 308 ORC).

    Pics here.

    #18369

    Andrew
    Moderator

    It has arrived.

    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2440[/ATTACH]

    #18338

    TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

    Nice, looking forward to your range report.

    #18370

    Andrew
    Moderator

    Will Do. Wait for the .308 ammo to arrive.

    #18371

    Andrew
    Moderator

    Ammo has arrived. Just need to get an optic now.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Help me select a 308 (7.62×51) rifle’ is closed to new replies.