Hobo Signs: Survival Communication Symbols

Home Forums Gear & Equipment Hobo Signs: Survival Communication Symbols

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Andrew

I found this interest if not a bit impractical since the signs have fallen out of use. Like any language or communication method it is only useful if other people know and use it.

Not exactly gear but definitely communication related. If one of the other mods believe this fits better in another area of the forum then please move it.

Hobo Signs: Survival Communication Symbols
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMcVa5_VVJE

A “hobo” is a migratory worker who wanders from place to place without a home or job. To cope with the uncertainties of hobo life, hobos developed a system of symbols, or a visual code. Hobos would write this code with chalk or coal to provide directions, information, and warnings to others in “the brotherhood”.

PhilTheBiker

Yeah, I don’t know most of these. But interesting!

alwayscross

I feel this will become useful somewhere along the way, just good knowledge to keep. Plus its very interesting.

Alonso1

Interesting; my Grandmother said she grew up near some railroad tracks and her parents would feed hobo’s when they could. I remember he telling me that her mother asked a hobo how he knew to go to their house for food and he told her their house was “marked”. The guy said something was written on the sidewalk in front of their house which indicated they were friendly people.

DCortez

Pretty cool video.

Andrew

I am happy that other folks also found it interesting. I think that these signs cease to be useful unless adopted and used by several folks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.