Home Forums Survival Skills Hog Hunt

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  TeknaBuzz 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

The hogs have really taken over my hunting spot but both the deer and the hogs seem to have gotten on a feeding schedule with the hogs showing up just before dark around 7pm. So Sunday I baited my area really good with some extra corn on the ground got in the stand around 5pm and waited and waited hoping this big guy would show up:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1626[/ATTACH]

Around 7pm I could hear lots of movement in the bushes behind the stand where I couldn’t see and they never got in front of me where I could take a shot at one of not so edible hogs. But it was Labor Day weekend and there was more people out and about than I had ever seen out there getting ready for season so that might have something to do with it.

Andrew

So they are not in season right now? I am wondering why you did not shoot.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

There is no season on hogs here, I can shoot as many as my conscience can live with. I didn’t shoot cause they stayed behind me and and attempt to come out of the stand to catch one in view would’ve alerted them I’m sure. Newbie hunter but from what I can tell these hogs are much more elusive than the deer. I am trying to shoot a hog or two at my feeder before bow season for deer starts to hopefully make them a little less intrusive in my area to make it more inviting to the deer.

Did talk with another hunter and at least 6 hogs was killed out there this past weekend but the lease huge and probably won’t have any impact in my area considering I got a fairly large area to myself versus some of the other hunting areas. It’s doubtful that any of the hogs killed was anywhere close to where I’ll be hunting. I do suspect that all the increased activity with everybody going out to the lease this long holiday weekend with all the ATVs on the trails might of been why I didn’t see anything.

When I first pulled up into my area driving thru a bunch of tall fern like plants I heard a timber rattler but I couldn’t find him in the all brush. Evidently they say a lot of the timber rattlers are hanging out around the feeders trying to fatten up for the winter on the squirrels and small game that eat the corn too.

Andrew

That is nice that you can harvest as many hogs as you can eat.

I hate snakes.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Snakes don’t bother me til one catches me by surprise and startles me, once that happens I’ll be jumpy with the slightest blow of the wind. As a kid in central Texas there always being outside in the woods and pasture’s it seem like there was always a certain day in late spring early summer the snakes started to come out from their winter hiding spot and we’d run around catching all sorts. One day after catching like 10 big rat snakes under tin in a pasture I was on a spree and seen a black snake by the cattle tank I ran up and held neck down with a stick and picked up as usual. Once I had it my hands it open it’s mouth really wide with fangs and I realized I had a cotton mouth in my hands, I was scared then cause I wasn’t very confident about be able to let it go without getting bit.

The rattlers, I like them cause they always have given me an audible alert of their presence but I hear that the rattlers are evolving to not rattle. Rumor has it this is due to the increase in hogs because the hogs eat the snakes and the rattle gives them away to a predator that has become more of the threat to them.

PhilTheBiker

I’m waiting for pictures of your first hog kill!

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Keeping the game camera in the same location I took this picture of myself to show a comparison of the size of some of the hogs. I made sure I had my shoulder behind the feeder leg to make the distance from the camera relevant. At 6′ tall it appears they’d be inches away from being waist high on me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2466[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2467[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2468[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2469[/ATTACH]

DCortez

Start blasting!

Andrew

Bacon…..

mage2

Hey, I know I am a noob to this forum, that said. If you ever need help with those piggies I would love some pork in the freezer. Strangely enough I do not see piggies where I hunt.
    Might try texas public lands this year.
    Those are some big ones, if you dont cull them they will reproduce and can even drive the deer off.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@mage2 19624 wrote:

Hey, I know I am a noob to this forum, that said. If you ever need help with those piggies I would love some pork in the freezer. Strangely enough I do not see piggies where I hunt.
    Those are some big ones, if you dont cull them they will reproduce and can even drive the deer off.

Do you use game cameras? I can’t imagine any hunting area here in Texas that doesn’t have an abundance of wild hogs. I live in a small town and I’ve even seen them running in neighborhood once. Some friends own some property not far from here that have a few dozen donkeys on 50 or so acres and say they never see hogs or signs of hogs.

DCortez

@mage2 19624 wrote:

Not a lot of that, most land is privately owned. Lease rates are high, too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.