Homemade Quality Knives

Home Forums Gear & Equipment Homemade Quality Knives

This topic contains 19 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  hillfolk 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

hillfolk

Hey guys! It’s been a while since I’ve had an awesome post. I’m working on some homemade knives and wondered if you’d like to see them. Let me know and I’ll post some pictures.

PhilTheBiker

pics would rock! Also, let us know how you made them, what types of materials, if you used heat and an anvil. Details 🙂

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

There was a guy on the last job I was that made custom handmade knives, he had some with deer horn handle and used a cut and sharpened german air saw blade for the blade and I was told by other’s who got one that it made a good skinning knife and the steel of the german air saw blade holds an edge really well. Needless to say I wanted to get one from him but he got transferred before I could.

Hillfolk, please share the pics, I’m interested!

firemedic4

Pics would be nice!

Alonso1

Pics, everybody loves knives!

boisdarc

lets see em

hillfolk

Alright guys! Pictures as promised.

Before quenching/bluing:[ATTACH=CONFIG]1615[/ATTACH]

hillfolk

After Pictures:[ATTACH=CONFIG]1616[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1617[/ATTACH]

hillfolk

This is a tanto fighting knife I have been working on. The bevel has been evened up and it has been quenched in oil since the first “before” picture. It has a blade that is about 6.5-7 inch and a 4.5-5 inch handle. Unique to this knife is a flathead screwdriver on the pommel. The jimping for the thumb is aggressive and will prevent your hand slipping up the blade. A second choil, which will not be part of the scaled handle, allows the user to choke up for finer knife tasks like carving a tent stake. Now obviously it still needs the micarta scales and an edge REALLY put on it and it will be finished.

Also, firemedic4, I am working on a specialty fire rescue knife. It is a unique design that employs a blunt chisel tip to prevent accidental stabbing, a tanto like edge to provide a cutting point, a wire cutter recessed into the blade, a glass breaker on the back side of the point, a screwdriver on the handle, and a utility shut off wrench incorporated into the blade.

boisdarc

sweet, what kind of forge are you using? Was this a stock removal method knife? I made a janky little forge myself, and use a hair dryer on some black pipe for the tuwere(however you spell that)-just went to a blacksmith hammer in to watch some real smiths a couple weeks ago. Made good contacts to buy coal-coincidentally I live in central Illinois and there is a coal mine under every square foot of the county I live in but no where to buy the black stuff. That is a nice looking blade. Do you sell them or just make for people you know?

hillfolk

I use a propane forge that I built. It heats up quick and cools quick. Not to mention that propane certainly is cheap. This particular knife is stock removal although I do some real blacksmithing from time to time.

I am getting into the market of selling them and currently am seeing if I can afford to bring on my buddy as a second knife maker.

boisdarc

I was getting ready to make a couple knives one for me one for my youngest, and maybe a big golok or parang. Would you mind terribly if I copied your finger and thumb cut outs, except in drop point without the screwdriver end?

hillfolk

Yeah Boisdarc, no problemo. They say that imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

boisdarc

it is, and thank you. I will try posting up when done.

Jiopopp

I have a knife that I am working on as well! Wanna check it out?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.