How fit are you ?

Home Forums Survival Skills How fit are you ?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 58 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Darkknight 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author

vbreferee

Phil – I am going to have to buy a lot more ammo. Maybe DHS will share.

The_Wolf1976

P90X!!!!! It’s fun and it works

Andrew

@gigabelly 2010 wrote:

I’ve got 2 metal hips so running is forbidden for me. I really loved running but it is the reason I have two artificial hips. That and I broke my back playing high school football out in West Texas where I grew up. In spite of all that, I am starting my fourth trip through P90X. I couldn’t do it last year because I needed the second hip redone. I had it done last month and am gearing up to restarting P90X.

That is awesome! I have alot of respect for folks that don’t use injuries or other liabilities as a reason to quit. Many folks embrace any excuse to let their fitness slack.

Sharpe

I’m to much out of shape, if it didn’t rain here so often, i would be outside walking and going for Jogs, I should really get a Gym membership once i get a Job. As of now, I’m Zombie Food.

sickboy

Must admit I’m out of shape even for 46 yrs. old. Need to start cardio training NOW! Maybe this was just the thing to get me off my a**! Thanks!

ICF_Hooligan

with my background, running isn’t my forte, that’s why strength, stealth and marksmanship will be the bedrock of my planning… if i can pick up a 400 lb rock i’ll drop it on a zombies head…

Andrew

@icf_hooligan 8852 wrote:

with my background, running isn’t my forte, that’s why strength, stealth and marksmanship will be the bedrock of my planning… if i can pick up a 400 lb rock i’ll drop it on a zombies head…

You still need to work on cardio… whether you like it or not. It is good for your health and will of course aid in survival. I hate cardio but I still do it.

ICF_Hooligan

oh, i have no issue with cardio… can run fast in the short term, and keep a good pace over distance, but i simply choose not to excel in those areas. anyone who knows about strength sports knows that endurance and cardio is a definite factor in being successful

PhilTheBiker

A few years back I played with a 9 man flag football team. I played for two years and my cardio increased a lot. I know, you think 9 man and flag and what’s the point? Well, in this league you could hit as hard as you want as long as you didn’t hit the guy with the football. It really was a motivation for me to get into shape.

http://www.leaguelineup.com/welcome.asp?url=mdffa

Andrew

I played 8 man football during Jr High and High School. It is much more of a sport then 11 man.

JulioTheSavage

Since everyone is saying what they used to do:). I boxed out of Hillcrest Heights gym in high schoolmy 11th and 12th grade year. We got plenty of cardio in there. I also played 2 yrs varsity soccer. Really didn’t care for soccer but plenty of cardio. My real love was boxing.

Andrew

I took the Army Physical Fitness Test yesterday (Friday the 8th). Scored a 254. Not to not but I am 2 weeks away from shoulder surgery so I will take it.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

8 years ago on the Army PT test I’d get 100% on push ups and the 2 mile run but I could only bust out about 40 or so sit-ups (always hated sit-ups) and if I remember correctly I needed about 70 of those to get 100% so I don’t remember what percentage that got me.

Today, I think I could still do rather well on the push ups, but the sit-ups and 2 mile run wouldn’t be good at all. I really need to start running more, when I was school for track I did all the 1+ mile relays and cross country. I never was a fast sprinter and sprinting was more of a skill but long distance was more of toughness or at least that’s the way I seen it.

Ollpheist

@darkknight 1920 wrote:

Surely the need to run fast, climb or jumb requires fitness in zombies situation, so How physical fit are you for zombie apocalypse ?

I have spina bifida, and although I’m blessed in that I’m able to walk and run, neither is very pretty when I do it. I have what some call “pigeon toes,” meaning that they point inward toward one another. That having been said, I do keep myself physically fit for walking long distances. In a zombie conflict, I would need to resort to ranged weapons and tactics in order to survive; I would not find it easy to run quickly, climb long distances, or jump far in order to fight them off.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I go thru spurts where I’ll do some at home PT regularly each day for awhile and then I get out of it. Right now I’m in one of those slumps it’s been awhile since I did any at home exercise. My job is pretty physically demanding sometimes more than others so I get a good bit of physical activity but as I get older and I look the older guys I work with and think to myself how do they keep doing this. Right now I got one welder that’s like 65+ years old climbing around in pipe racks with me! I think about how bad I feel sometimes when I get home from work and the older I get the more I’m realizing that these older guys are enabled to this because they take better care of themselves.

They eat better diets, and I’m sure they go to bed way before I do.

So my point here is that having lots of physical activity can take a toll on your body if you’re not taking other steps to ensure good health.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.