how much land do you need?

Home Forums Homesteading how much land do you need?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Annabelle 11 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

DCortez

Currently, I live on 1/8 of an acre in Houston, Texas. Although I have room for a small garden, I doubt it would sustain me, much less a family of four. Aside from rats, cats, squirrels, dogs, the occasional possum or turtle, hunting is out of the question.

How much land would a suburbanite need, per person?

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

If all you’re really shooting for is a country setting that has more choices of wildlife roaming the lands you can easily find acre lot that is in location that is very country with very little to no neighbors. If you plan on raising some livestock I do believe its typically recommended 1 acre per horse and 2 acre’s per head of cattle and that is with fairly decent pasture land. I’ve been hoping to purchase land for the last few years but something has always come up to take away from our savings. I like to look on http://www.trulia.com/ and I look at the satellite map of the general area and it gives me a good idea of what type and how common wildlife would be in that area. I’m really hoping to get about 10 acres give or take. I want enough land that and land that would provide a natural environment for wild life that I could make a taller fence around the property that would contain wildlife with my own land. I have resources to obtain wild rabbits and even hogs if I so desired that had been caught it traps to be released in the confines of my land.

My main concern for the areas that have really affordable acreage that suits my needs is the elevation and being in a hurricane prone area. But one of the advantages I’ve learned about the lower elevation is the fact that when digging your pond if you dig deep enough about 8 to 12 feet in my area to hit water once the pond fills it will never empty from drought. And I would like a pond that I could stock some perch, bass, and catfish in. Just so you know I’m about 60 miles ENE of you and I really like the atmosphere here where I’m at. I’ve found a few 10 acre plots in locations that are somewhat ideal to suit my needs for about 3500 per acre.

Disidoro

Hi DCortez,
    What are you looking to do, raise animals, gardens, fruit trees? It really depends on what you are looking to do. We have almost 50 acres here but don’t raise animals…easier to hunt at this time. We grow a lot and have berry bushes and fruit trees. For us, if we didn’t heat with wood, we could probably get away with a few acres. That’s probably the minimum. If you raise animals, you must have rotating pasture otherwise they will overgraise and compact the soil so much the land becomes virtually worthless. I’ve raised horses, cows, pigs and goats…all are hard on the land, even miniature goats (go figure). I’ve heard stories of people growing all they need and raising some animals on an acre or two but I am a bit skeptical.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@disidoro 995 wrote:

Hi DCortez,
    I’ve heard stories of people growing all they need and raising some animals on an acre or two but I am a bit skeptical.

With those kind of figures, they probably have little to no meat in the diets. I imagine its completely possible living off of fruits and veggies tho.

azurevirus

Seems like alot of math would be involved..figuring out what or how much land it takes to feed a certain animal..like for a person would be 1 gallon of water per person per day minimum,1800-2000 calories per day..things like that versus how much land you have and what you could grow on it to feed the animals..probably just talking to a local hobby farmer could give some good insight on that..if your going just veggies and such..there should be some sort of math formula for that too..4 ppl and 4 acres =1 acre per person..could 1 acre support one life?..if so, for how long..with canning and such or dehydrating the food and if the garden produced more than one picking..some areas gardens I guess can grow two or more..then there what crops would do good at certain times of the yr where others wouldnt one would have to know..I sure wish I could help you out better but Im just too ignorant on the subject..havent had a garden in 15 yrs and I didnt like messing with it all that much

azurevirus

Oh crap, you only have 1/8 acre..where did I get 4 acres from?..duhh

apocomom

You might want to try square foot gardening and going vertical whenever you can. That’s what I’m doing, and I should have enough veggies for 3 adults & 1 child +. Get Mel Bartholomew’s “New Square Foot Gardening”, but see my web site on a cheaper soil formula (I’m adding to it daily, so be patient…got a late start w/gardening this year). http://www.mysuburbengarden.weebly.com p.s. I also have room for 4 fruit trees, raspberry bushes and 4 chickens!

Sharpe

I currently live out in the country with a size-able amount of land at my disposal. There is also a field the size of a football field across the road from my house, which could be used for farming or gardening. I wouldn’t need much room however Only enough to support my group and I.

tcindie

@dcortez 940 wrote:

Although I have room for a small garden, I doubt it would sustain me, much less a family of four.

Until you find a bigger place, I’d recommend looking into vertical gardening to maximize the space you do have.

vbreferee

Get a copy of Wendy Brown’s book “Surviving the Apocalypse in the Suburbs”. It is a wealth of information on being self sufficient with a very limited amount of property.

She also has a website surviving the suburbs.

tcindie

@vbreferee 4149 wrote:

http://happilyhome.blogspot.com/

Sharpe

@vbreferee 4149 wrote:

Get a copy of Wendy Brown’s book “Surviving the Apocalypse in the Suburbs”. It is a wealth of information on being self sufficient with a very limited amount of property.

Is this the book your talking about?
    http://www.amazon.com/Surviving-Apocalypse-Suburbs-Thrivalists-Without/dp/0865716811/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334815495&sr=8-1

vbreferee

Yes – that is the one – a wealth of information.

Sharpe

Ah, definitely going to purchase this and add it to my Zombie Knowledge collection.

Cowgirl

We live on 2.5 acres right now, in Illinois, so an area with plentiful rainfall (normally). In an arid region, you need more acres per animal, and 40 might not be enough to keep a cow and calf, for example.

On the 2.5 acres we have pasture, garden, and orchard. We do buy some hay, so this is not an entirely self-sufficient property, but you can easily store 1 or 2 years supply of hay, so you can be fairly self-sufficient.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.