how much land do you need?

Home Forums Homesteading how much land do you need?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Annabelle 11 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Owing land is a dream of mine, one day I’ll have enough to live out my homesteading dreams!

PhilTheBiker

I’m on 1/4 acre. I do a lot on it, check out my videos Homestead Phil – YouTube

It doesn’t take a lot of land, but it does require some. I paid a little more than $30k for my house and land.

I saw almost 2 acres of land for sale for $8k a few months back. It wasn’t exactly what I was looking for so I didn’t buy it. BUT keep your eyes open. You will find something!

Thanks for the link! I will check it out for sure!

Scythewinder

This isn’t quite surburban, but I know of some cheap international options.

I used to live in Sierra Leone, a country in West Africa. Land out in the middle of nowhere can be as little as $300 for around half an acre, but you have to own it jointly with a local that you trust. You can get land for a little more up in the 3000 foot mountains surrounding the capital and port city, Freetown. Once I have had a good career I plan on buying land up the mountain from the city and building a small concrete fortress with large storage reserves and maybe a fruit tree. It may not be as easy for others, but I know the language and culture so it would work. I’d of course have a helipad for easy access.

PhilTheBiker

How stable is that part of Africa? I’ve never thought of Africa as being a great place to move out to. Can you describe more about how/why it would work for you? Sounds interesting.

Annabelle
    Participant

I really think it depends with your plan and what you intend to with the land. If you want to keep livestock, you’ll definitely need more land, perhaps more than an acre. I love that you can still do some bit of gardening on your piece of land.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.