Hunting in Pennsylvania

Home Forums Survival Skills Hunting in Pennsylvania

This topic contains 30 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Andrew

It looks like hunting here will be fun and convenient.

There are ALOT of rules and info for nearly every type of game imaginable. PA is military friendly for hunting also.

Andrew

They also have public shooting ranges all over the state that residents can use for only $30 a year.

[IMG]http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_102006_11363_620410_43/http%3B/pubcontent.state.pa.us/publishedcontent/publish/marketingsites/game_commission/content/recreation/state_game_lands/public_shooting_ranges_ci_3.JPG[/IMG]

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

The rules looks just like our rules here for hunting, and I don’t know what it’s like there but here a gaming violation is a serious offense in a lot of cases worse than selling dope or driving drunk. I know your in a new state now but from what I remember NC had some good hunting too.

As far as I know we don’t have public state owned gun ranges at all but that seems really cool.

PhilTheBiker

Pretty sure military are treated as local residents as long as you have your military ID. Most Doe tags are sold out, but Buck tags are still available. You can also use a cross bow for archery season which is something you can’t do in some states. When you buy your hunting license it allows you to hunt just about any small game. You only need extra tags for turkey I believe. There are two turkey shoots and one of them you must ‘call’ the turkey in, you may not stalk the turkey. The other season you can stalk the turkey. I can’t remember which is which, i might go hunting turkey since about a mile down the road I’ve almost ran them over several times.

There are also very strict rules about how far away from the road you must be when shooting. I’m pretty sure if you are 5 foot off the road you could get a fine and have to hand over your kill if you are caught.

DCortez

@andrew.anderson 15132 wrote:

They also have public shooting ranges all over the state that residents can use for only $30 a year.

That’s pretty sweet.

Andrew

@philthebiker 15144 wrote:

Pretty sure military are treated as local residents as long as you have your military ID. Most Doe tags are sold out, but Buck tags are still available. You can also use a cross bow for archery season which is something you can’t do in some states. When you buy your hunting license it allows you to hunt just about any small game. You only need extra tags for turkey I believe. There are two turkey shoots and one of them you must ‘call’ the turkey in, you may not stalk the turkey. The other season you can stalk the turkey. I can’t remember which is which, i might go hunting turkey since about a mile down the road I’ve almost ran them over several times.

There are also very strict rules about how far away from the road you must be when shooting. I’m pretty sure if you are 5 foot off the road you could get a fine and have to hand over your kill if you are caught.

I do not think I am going to hunt this year. Maybe next. I do not know the area and have no one to hunt with so I am going to wait until I either get more familiar with the area or find someone to hunt with.

PhilTheBiker

Drive over to the western part of the state. We’ll go hunting 🙂

FYI, for your deer tag you must specify what area you are going to hunt. I will be hunting in 2D this season.

otis302

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1630[/ATTACH]yeah the DNR, dept of natural resources do not fool around if you break rules they can take all you have at that time your truck gun dog ect. But they regulate and over see harvest #s they make sure from season to season there are a healthy stable heards.When you hunt the WMA , wildlife management areas, the rules are even more harsh what cal. to use during what ever season what kind of ammo plus extra permits no Sunday hunting camping in certain areas differnt dates for does and bucks. Thats why every one wants to lease here. Our deer population has taken a hit by the coyotes down 30% in 10 yrs this year the state has a no closed season on hogs and coyotes with live bait trapping e-calls and one stupid rule you have to use a .22 no bigger when you hunt them but if its deer season and ya got a outt-6 let it rip.

PhilTheBiker

The nice part about where I live is I plan on walking 300 yards to take my shot. The no hunting on Sunday rule is an interesting one, same here to.

Good thing game commission won’t be able to tell me I can’t eat these four guys!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1631[/ATTACH]

Andrew

@philthebiker 15151 wrote:

Drive over to the western part of the state. We’ll go hunting 🙂

FYI, for your deer tag you must specify what area you are going to hunt. I will be hunting in 2D this season.

What DTG do you plan on hunting. If it matches up with my schedule I may take you up on the offer.

PhilTheBiker

I’m hunting opening day deer season in 2D for rifle
    2013 – 2014 Pennsylvania Hunting Season Schedule | Deer, Archery, Rifle, Small Game

If I can get a cross bow I’ll be hunting in Oct everyday before 10am.

Andrew

@philthebiker 15166 wrote:

I’m hunting opening day deer season in 2D for rifle
    2013 – 2014 Pennsylvania Hunting Season Schedule | Deer, Archery, Rifle, Small Game

If I can get a cross bow I’ll be hunting in Oct everyday before 10am.

So Dec 2-6th?

PhilTheBiker

Yeah, that’s buck season. Buck and doe start dec7

Andrew

I went out hunting with two of the guys I work with. Well, they where hunting (bow) I was just walking and learning the land. It is thick here. Very different from where I grew up hunting.

PhilTheBiker

It’s not to thick out this way. I went muzzle loader today, took two shots, missed to deer. They where 100+ yards out and the rifle I was using was zero’ed at 50 yards or so. I knew it was too far of a shot, but it was getting close to being too dark to shoot and I knew they were not going to come any closer to me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1712[/ATTACH]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.