Hunting in Pennsylvania

Home Forums Survival Skills Hunting in Pennsylvania

This topic contains 30 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Andrew

At least you saw deer.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Where I have my deer stand set up it’s very thick there as well but there is a lot of trails in the general area where the deer cut right thru. Most of the scanning visibility is around 60 to 70 yards with 2 narrow spots I can see closer to 85 to 100. This is what it looks like from my stand.

I can see out there pretty far in line with the feeder and to the right of that thicket just right of the feeder. One day I walked out there quietly in the middle of the day and a doe was laid up in that thicket maybe 20 yards from the feeder. She took off running when I got close so I’m not sure if she originally got in there to hide or it’s a normal spot for her to lay around.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1715[/ATTACH]

PhilTheBiker

@andrew.anderson 15655 wrote:

At least you saw deer.

I saw a buck and five does in 4 hours from the tree stand.

Andrew

Phil, You are fortunate. We where out five hours and saw an otter. That is it.

Andrew

@teknabuzz 15656 wrote:

Where I have my deer stand set up it’s very thick there as well but there is a lot of trails in the general area where the deer cut right thru. Most of the scanning visibility is around 60 to 70 yards with 2 narrow spots I can see closer to 85 to 100. This is what it looks like from my stand.

I can see out there pretty far in line with the feeder and to the right of that thicket just right of the feeder. One day I walked out there quietly in the middle of the day and a doe was laid up in that thicket maybe 20 yards from the feeder. She took off running when I got close so I’m not sure if she originally got in there to hide or it’s a normal spot for her to lay around.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1715[/ATTACH]

That is a nice set up. Good fields of fire.

PhilTheBiker

Saw a ground hog and two turkeys as well. There are so many deer here, I’m going out again Monday.

Andrew

Saw this on the way to work. About 60 meters from my car. About 200 meters from my house.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1719[/ATTACH]

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I got 2 game camera’s now, and one of them I already tested in an known active place but it failed to catch any pictures so I think that camera sucks. So I put the crappy camera on the feeder to see how well it does there, maybe it’s just delayed that everything is gone by time it takes it shot. But about 50 yards behind my feeder is a game trail that had some fresh droppings and scrape on branch nearby that I set up my good camera. Maybe I will have a day this week off and catch something better on camera. I really suspect there is more deer moving thru that trail than there is visiting the feeder.

I haven’t had my camera’s out for 3 weeks and just topped off my feeder yesterday. Last time I went out to get pics on camera I seen 4 snakes and I was too skittish to bring the camera’s back out there. It was a day before a small front blew thru which is why I suspect there was so many snakes out. 2 of them copperhead’s I nearly stepped on and I was looking hard for them after the second time and it still almost got me.

PhilTheBiker

Andrew, there are still Doe tags in the Easter region, maybe near you?

https://www.pa.wildlifelicense.com/deeravail.php

Andrew

I still haven’t had any luck hunting but we did we a few on the 31st.

On a related subject. Here is video of a hunter here in PA who was visited by a bear.

PhilTheBiker

That’s one way to keep the deer away. Crazy. I’ve seen a bear just down the street from me, maybe 1/2 mile away on the dirt road. There are two roads into the village that we live in, the main paved road and the dirt road. We took the dirt road one night because we wanted to check out someone’s house (I can’t remember if they had decorations or maybe yard work) and there he was. Big black bear 🙂 I often worry that the bear might visit my chickens at night, but I think there is enough going on around here that shouldn’t happen.

Andrew

I purchased a tag for this year. Don’t know if I am actually going to make it out to hunt though.

PhilTheBiker

@andrew.anderson 20567 wrote:

I purchased a tag for this year. Don’t know if I am actually going to make it out to hunt though.

As military PA will also let you get a last minute Doe tag if I remember correctly. Otherwise most Doe tags are gone
    https://www.pa.wildlifelicense.com/deeravail.php

I have two doe tags for my region.

Andrew

I have the tags. Ijust don’t know if I have the time to hunt.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@andrew.anderson 20572 wrote:

I have the tags. Ijust don’t know if I have the time to hunt.

I know it sucks, I’ve been working every saturday and every other sunday. I might not get to do any real hunting til 4 days off for thanksgiving.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.