Insect Control

Home Forums Survival Skills Insect Control

This topic contains 15 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Genard Hernandez 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Jhrdwyn

Okay, so the SHTF and you’re on your way. What insect/pest control do you use? No sense falling victim to insect attacks vs the crazies on the loose.

Neem oil wash – no bug likes neem – if you are BI (so jealous LOL)if you can maybe start your own neem plants. Great windblock and the plants themselves make insects run.

Got ticks? To easily remove them douse them with one of these oils…they back right out.

• Palo Santo Essential Oil
    • Peppermint Essential Oil
    • Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil
    • Oregano Essential Oil
    • Thyme Essential Oil

Tick repellent?

• Geranium Essential Oil
    • Juniper Essential Oil
    • Rosewood Essential Oil
    • Thyme Essential Oil
    • Grapefruit Essential Oil
    • Oregano Essential Oil
    • Myrrh Essential Oil

Tick Spritz Recipe

• 1 cup of Distilled water
    • 2 Drops Geranium Essential Oil
    • 2 Drops Palo Santo Essential Oil
    • 2 Drops Rosewood Essential Oil
    • 1 Drop Myrrh Essential Oil
    • 4 Drops Grapefruit Essential Oil
    • 1 Drop Peppermint Essential Oil
    • 1 Drop of Thieves Hand Soap or Castile Soap (emollient)

Place in a spray bottle and shake. Spritz when needed! – cover yourself, your gear, your animal(s)

Fleas are vector disease carriers as well.

• Eucalyptus radiata Essential Oil
    • Tea Tree or Melaleuca alternifolia Essential Oil
    • Lemongrass Essential Oil
    • Pine Essential Oil
    • Cedarwood Essential Oil
    • Peppermint Essential Oil
    • Lemon Essential Oil
    • Lavender Essential Oil
    • Orange Essential Oil
    • Melrose Essential Oil
    • Purification Essential Oil
    • Palo Santo Essential Oil
    • Citronella Essential Oil

Flea Recipe

• 1/2 cup of Distilled water
    • 6-8 Drops Purification Essential Oil
    • 2-4 Drops Palo Santo Essential Oil
    • 1 Drop of Thieves Hand Soap or Castile Soap (emollient)
    Spritz daily to stay flea free

Spray gear/tent/clothes/dog gear

• 1/2 teaspoon Alcohol
    • 1 Drop Cedarwood Essential Oil
    • 1 Drop Lavender Essential Oil
    • 1 Drop Citronella Essential Oil
    • 1 Drop Thyme Essential Oil
    • 4 garlic capsules

Mosquito Repellents.

I’m sure most of us know that for some reasons Mosquitos *hate* garlic; they love dark clothes, sweat, carbon monoxide but hate garlic…so maybe start eating loads of garlic *now* (sorry to your friends, family, co-workers, neighbors LOL)

• Citronella Oil
    • Lemon Eucalyptus Oil
    • Cinnamon Oil
    • Castor Oil
    • Rosemary Oil
    • Lemongrass Oil
    • Cedar Oil
    • Peppermint Oil
    • Clove Oil
    • Geranium Oil
    • Possibly Oils from Verbena, Pennyroyal, Lavender, Pine, Cajeput, Basil, Thyme, Allspice, Soybean, and Garlic

For worms keep in BO bag/BO caches Diatomaceous earth and Ivomectin (heartworm for pets & is great for mosquito repellent) Accidentally found this out when dipping cattle – was bug free for a few days, even in deep woods. Buggers just did *not* like me.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Very good information, thanks for sharing this. I don’t know why but mosquito’s seem go for my hands first (maybe its the exposure) and for some reason its more irritating for me to have the itch from the bite on my hands than anywhere else on my body.

DCortez

Good info, I’m looking into neem now. On bites, I hate ear/face, finger, and toe bites.

Seanboy69

I always put a fabric sheet under my hard-hat at work it keeps the skeeters away.

azurevirus

Good informative post..as here skeeters and ticks rule supreme as do spiders..and I think they are all Liberals too

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@seanboy69 3080 wrote:

I always put a fabric sheet under my hard-hat at work it keeps the skeeters away.

I work in southeast Texas in oil refineries that have been built on marshland and the skeeters are always bad in these areas. I’ve never tried this and honestly I don’t think you know how severe mosquito’s can be in the gulf regions of the United States. Long as you’ve got a 15+ mph wind its not bad but soon as the winds die down they swarm.

Jhrdwyn

@teknabuzz 3093 wrote:

I work in southeast Texas in oil refineries that have been built on marshland and the skeeters are always bad in these areas. I’ve never tried this and honestly I don’t think you know how severe mosquito’s can be in the gulf regions of the United States. Long as you’ve got a 15+ mph wind its not bad but soon as the winds die down they swarm.

If you can, without looking too “woosy” keep a spray bottle of H2O2 – it’s the CO2 that attracts them. With the extra oxygen molecule the HP seems to really work; I have used it outside, on my skin/clothes, hair (repeat application *a lot*) and it does seem to do a good job. I use H2O2 for a lot of things (seeding plants, to clean veggies; as a soak, mouthwash, hydroponics, animal’s water, laundry, instead of bleach…so many uses) – oh I use 35% Food Grade, not the store stuff; it has impurities.

Gigabelly

Where do you find te high concentration H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide for my friends in Arkansas)?

Jhrdwyn

I buy mine at the health food stores; even if they don’t have it most will order it in; it can also be ordered online 🙂

00_Jackie

Thanks for the great information!

vbreferee

Jackie – Great lists. I love all the natural stuff. I am a fan of DEET. It may not be around post SHTF, but I am stocking up. Avon Skin-so-Soft also works well for mosquitoes. I have heard (but not tried) Vodka is a good insect repellent. I will have to try this at home, where my wife can supervise, and know I have used it topically, and haven’t taken it orally. Also, don’t know if I want to use the Vodka that way, but it is cheap by comparison.

scuzzy

@jhrdwyn 3094 wrote:

I use 35% Food Grade, not the store stuff; it has impurities.

35% h2o2 will peel your skin right off. I’m sure you dilute it first.

I’ve used cedar oil with great success for both insect repellant and also to kill fleas & ticks on my dogs. It’s available fairly cheap here: texarome.com at $35 for a 32 oz and very good quality.

Repellant: Put an ounce or two in a container. Add a small amount of dish soap so it will mix with water. Add a quart of water. Put in spritzer bottle and spray yourself. Works well but you have to reapply every two hours or so.

Flea dip: Put 2 ounces in container. Add small amount of dish soap to break oil down. Add quart of water. Dip dog or cat. Fleas die almost immediately, quicker than store bought dip. You have to dip the animals every week or so though. They smell nice too.

Alonso1

@scuzzy 3658 wrote:

Dip dog or cat

When I was a teenager I had to dip my grandmothers cats. I dreaded this chore because every summer a couple of those cats handed my ass to me, they really don’t like the water. Glad to see you in the community Scuzzy/fellow Appleseeder.

Erin

I have visit many pet control and termite control forums and search a lot on internet but find nothing to treat pests… After reading your post my search has been completed and honestly say your post have a really good stuff for pest control. this is what every person can by his self at home…

Erin

@erin 11959 wrote:

I have visit many pet control and termite control forums and search a lot on internet but find nothing to treat pests… After reading your post my search has been completed and honestly say your post have a really good stuff for pest control. this is what every person can by his self at home…

pest control Brisbane

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.