Lighters or Matches?

Home Forums Homesteading Lighters or Matches?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Parlock 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Parlock

Which do you think would be better for a prep kit, a stockpile of Matches or Lighters? It occurs to me that major plus of lighters is that they are reusable and are relatively compact. You can have more fire from a bunch of lighters than from an equal volume of matches (in theory.)

What do you think?

azurevirus

I go both.I have two 5 packs of bics I keep in a plastic waterproof container and I also have some stick matches in their own waterproof container within the larger waterproof container..my advice on Bic lighters is to get the bright colored ones as in the woods I have used them and sit them down and couldnt find them..(the dark colored ones)..while the pink,red and yellow ones ..I cant loose them even when I try..just dont be at a Bar and the guy next to you ask for a light..and you flick a pink Bic..you might get a strange look and the guy moves two barstools down or..your gonna get a smile and a “Hi, my name is Payne..as in I love pain” ..(Thats when I move two barstools away..fairly quicklyI might add)

Alonso1

I buy Bic lighters for myself and every so often I buy a bulk pack of cheap lighters at the dollar store for trade when the SHTF.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I think just about anybody who uses lighters regularly with the exception of maybe a crackhead prefers a bic over any other type of disposable lighter. As somebody who smokes over a pack a day (I am working on quiting) I can get about 4 months out of a bic lighter. Matches come in handy too though for example if you throw some lighter fluid on something its nice to be able to save your eyebrows and throw a lit match onto it.

otis302

There all well and good but flint and steel or magnesium starter real cheap anywhere from $6.00 to $14.00 can get wet stomped on ect.

BugOutReview

Both of course lighter is easier to use in most conditions, however it a great to have matches for when that stupid lighter just doesn’t want to work!

Darkknight

Both are useful and it depends how comfortable are you in using it, but in my opinion lighter is better option, since it can be operated by single hand in a emergency situation.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Did they stop making “strike anywhere” matches? I’ve been un able to find any when I was looking for them.

Darkknight

@teknabuzz 1861 wrote:

Did they stop making “strike anywhere” matches? I’ve been un able to find any when I was looking for them.

There is one Company which still manufactures strike anywhere matches and here is the link. http://www.diamondbrands.com/pages/firestarters/29.php

00_Jackie

I like lighters. I find them more convenient, but agree with some of the other posters, there is a time and place for both. I keep several Zippo lighters along with the Bics. They are very windproof and will stay lit when matches and a Bic won’t. Down side is they require fluid and flints.

I have all three kinds stocked. Bics, Zippos and wood matches.

Darkknight

Another good option is Blast match which is all weather fire starter and is operable with one hand incase of injury, there is also a safety feature to prevent inadvertent ignition when accidentally plunged.

DCortez

Checked out a youtube on Blast Match. Looks like a nice product.

vbreferee

Rule of threes: Always have three ways to start fire; matches; lighter; magnesium fire starter. I carry a Zippo and a butane lighter. The Bics are great and last seemingly forever. I have a Bic in an old BOB which I just updated. It had to have been sitting in that bag for at least five years, and it worked perfectly. I just bought strike-anywhere matches at an army surplus store, so they are still being made. I will check the brand and post. Has anyone tried, and to what success, using eyeglasses or a magnifying glass? Obviously not much help at night, but another method besides rubbing sticks together.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@vbreferee 2539 wrote:

Rule of threes: Always have three ways to start fire; matches; lighter; magnesium fire starter. I carry a Zippo and a butane lighter. The Bics are great and last seemingly forever. I have a Bic in an old BOB which I just updated. It had to have been sitting in that bag for at least five years, and it worked perfectly. I just bought strike-anywhere matches at an army surplus store, so they are still being made. I will check the brand and post. Has anyone tried, and to what success, using eyeglasses or a magnifying glass? Obviously not much help at night, but another method besides rubbing sticks together.

As a kid I started many fires with a magnifying glass as I was able to get my hands on one of these long before I could use the lighters & matches.

Jhrdwyn

I like Steel Wool and a 9 volt Battery – carried separate of course. Flint rods can also be used with SW. However, I do suggest everyone learn to use friction as a fire-starter. Mostly because BO items can be lost in a fight, while running, etc. If you can’t make it to a cache and it’s cold/wet weather you’re more likely to expire from loss of heat than food/water. I’d suggest using a sling/bag to carry some small fire-starting equipment/water purification tabs, mini-med kit (or pockets) vs keeping items that are needful in an emergency or in the event of loss of kit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.