Living on One Dollar

Home Forums General/Random/Off Topic Living on One Dollar

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of PhilTheBiker PhilTheBiker 2 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of PhilTheBiker
    PhilTheBiker

A movie currently on Netflix.

“Four American friends travel to rural Guatemala, where they attempt to exist on a dollar a day for two months to experience life in extreme poverty.”

It reminded me so much of my trip to Africa and how Americans really don’t know what poverty is (or anyone in a first world country). I highly recommend this documentary.

Profile photo of alwayscross
    alwayscross

@philthebiker 21248 wrote:

A movie currently on Netflix.

“Four American friends travel to rural Guatemala, where they attempt to exist on a dollar a day for two months to experience life in extreme poverty.”

It reminded me so much of my trip to Africa and how Americans really don’t know what poverty is (or anyone in a first world country). I highly recommend this documentary.

To be honest it would just be easier to just go scavenge food in a near by forest in the UK, not much out there for a pound. Maybe have to save up the pounds for something bigger like a sleeping bag for when it gets cold or something to make water collection easier.

Profile photo of PhilTheBiker
    PhilTheBiker

Could you scavenge 2000 calories a day for 8 weeks? Where I live it would be possible, but only if there were not 15 other families doing the same (although they’d be scavenging from my homestead eggs and rabbits!)

One of the things the people had to figure out was how to get 2000 calories out of rice and beans. They were losing weight. They would cook up 1 1/2 pounds of beans and however much rice (can’t remember) but then they where splitting 3000 calories 4 ways. One of the locals then showed them how to make refried beans and rice and by having them cook with lard. They quickly brought up their calorie content. Stuff that I would never have thought of because I don’t live in poverty nor ever had that type of training.

Profile photo of alwayscross
    alwayscross

@philthebiker 21251 wrote:

Could you scavenge 2000 calories a day for 8 weeks? Where I live it would be possible, but only if there were not 15 other families doing the same (although they’d be scavenging from my homestead eggs and rabbits!)

One of the things the people had to figure out was how to get 2000 calories out of rice and beans. They were losing weight. They would cook up 1 1/2 pounds of beans and however much rice (can’t remember) but then they where splitting 3000 calories 4 ways. One of the locals then showed them how to make refried beans and rice and by having them cook with lard. They quickly brought up their calorie content. Stuff that I would never have thought of because I don’t live in poverty nor ever had that type of training.

I think people go way to far into calories, take it from a national athlete when I say the biggest concern is protein. But yes I can scavenge everything I need, not a easy task but is possible. I have a big lake near me and I have been able to trap fish, haven’t eaten any I just set them free but I know how to gut and clean one if needed. Squirrels for days so have all the meet, multiple edible berries also. Food and water is not a big concern, but were I am there’s a lot of rain and cold weather. Personally i like the cold and prefer it, its not really a problem for me. But after having a less nutritional diet it will probably take a heavier effect on me.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.