Long distance communications!

Home Forums Gear & Equipment Long distance communications!

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  PhilTheBiker 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

PhilTheBiker

So in the last few days the 10 meter frequencies have been amazing! (28.300 – 28.500mhz is what i’ve been monitoring). It’s just below CB band (11 meter).

With my radio and a $15 home made antenna I’ve spoken to people in the following countries:
    Azores, Belgium, and Germany

I’ve HEARD people in Moscow, Belarus (in fact he heard me but couldn’t make out my call sign so it’s not a legit contact), Italy, England, Wales, and even a guy in South Africa.

Just figured I’d share!

My furthest state side contact is Baton Rouge LA at 962 miles and my furthest international contact is Amberg Germany at 4223 Miles.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

That’s really cool! Baton Rouge is only about 200 miles due east of me.

PhilTheBiker

I hear people in Arizona all the time, they just can’t hear me.

The PVC looking thing has a coax cable coming up from the bottom and two thin black wires going out each side. One wire is 8.2 feet each direction (16.4 feet total distance) and the other wire is ~32 to 33 feet each direction (65-66 feet total distance). I’ve had successful contacts at 7mhz, 14mhz, 21mhz, and 28mhz. 14mhz is harder because neither wire is not tuned for that frequency.

I bought a spool of solid (copper?) wire from radio shack for like $20.

Technically you could make a CB antenna like this and if you hung it up right it would work. I’m not sure what the total wire length would be, but it would be similar to the shorter wire I have for 10 meter band (28mhz).

My radio puts 100 watts of power over those antennas 🙂

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1727[/ATTACH]

DCortez

Stocker
    Participant

The Freqs I can currently hit are 25.615 – 28.315. Only pushing 40 to 45 watts max on a Magnum S-3. Who knows, once I get down to Texas maybe I’ll hear ya.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@stocker 15753 wrote:

The Freqs I can currently hit are 25.615 – 28.315. Only pushing 40 to 45 watts max on a Magnum S-3. Who knows, once I get down to Texas maybe I’ll hear ya.

Let us know when you get to Texas, talk about a dramatic climate change from Alaska though!

otis302

I do not know squat about ham radios but in the truck I have a cobra 40 channel with a firestick antenna and I noticed that in some differant weather situations reception is either terriable or real good, last week end I picked up and was able to talk to people about 10 or so miles away clear as a bell once I got to the State Park and was up on the mountain/foot hill I was recieving from Arazona of course could not transmit.

PhilTheBiker

Near CB frequencies between 8am and 1pm eastern you might be able to talk to people far away on channels 30 and above especially if you radio supports SSB (USB). When I say far away, maybe 1000-5000 miles.

Stocker
    Participant

Mid February is when is should be pulling into town.

PhilTheBiker

The 28mhz band has been amazing!

CB frequencies are probably also doing well. Channel 1 is 26.965mhz and channel 30 is 27.405. Most CB antenna’s are turned for channel 19 (27.185mhz), however, if you are on your CB between say an hour after sunrise until about 2 hours before sunrise you should be rock’in.

Both 21mhz and 28mhz on ham radio has been wide open during the day. Today I was able to talk to someone in Washington State from Pennsylvania on 28.430mhz using a very simple home made wire antenna and no tuner.

I’ve been hearing stations world wide the last several weeks if not the last month.

PhilTheBiker

My current country count
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Aruva
    Austria
    Azores
    Bahamas
    Belgium
    Brazil
    Bulgaria
    Canada
    Chile
    Czech Republic
    Estonia
    France
    Germany
    Guam
    Hungary
    Ireland
    Italy
    Lituania
    Netherlands
    Poland
    Portugal
    Puerto Rico
    Russia
    Scotland
    Slovenia
    Spain
    Turks and Caicos Island
    US Virgin Islands

As for states, that’s a little harder for me to pull out of my logbook, but maybe I’ll do that soon. I’ve pretty much talked from Maine to Florida and Arizona to Alaska and just about everywhere in between.

PhilTheBiker

You guys asked about Texas. I just talked with W2B, a special event station in remembrance of the Battle of the Bulge.

Contact was over 1100 miles away at 100 watts of power.

You can read more about the special event station here: W2B – Callsign Lookup by QRZ.COM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2698[/ATTACH]

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.