Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry Mauser

This topic contains 28 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Andrew

This is the place to discuss and share info regarding mauser rifles.

If you are not sure what a Mauser is: Mauser was a German arms manufacturer of a line of bolt action rifles and semi-automatic pistols from the 1870s to 1995. Mauser designs were built for the German armed forces. Since the late 19th and early 20th centuries, military Mauser designs were also exported and licensed to a number of countries, as well as being a popular civilian firearm.

Andrew

I bought one of these a few months ago. Still have no t shot it.

M1916 Spanish Mauser
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2436[/ATTACH]

hpb13

Nice rifle. You gonna do anything to it other than shoot?

Andrew

Well it’s used and the front sites are bent. So I am going to fix those.

This will basically serve as a backup if my othetr 308 platforms are not available

hpb13

Fantastic platform to work with. I remeber yrs agoreading about the mauser actions & they were what companies tried to copy , but things got to “tacticool” & it went by the wayside. Great guns i would love to hear about your range findings..when ya get a chance. Most interesting one i ever read about was a Deslie ( i think thats the name) used during ww2 had a mauser action thompson smg barrel & took 1911 clip . was 45 acp & fully suppressed.

hpb13

If you dont mind me asking $.

I have a M48a 8x57mm Yugo and it was in the cosmo when I got it. like buying a brand new Mauser,Love it.

Andrew

@hpb13 19273 wrote:

If you dont mind me asking $.

$169.95 at SAMCO Global

hpb13

Not a bad price ..thanks im going to look into a mauser i like boltguns i just have trouble seein like i used to hence my love of scatterguns. Id love a old mauservunit for the safe.,..

Andrew

The only issue with the rifle so far is the blades that protect the front site. One is bent to the point that it affects my ability to focus on the front sight. It is distracting. I am not sure how to fix it. I have a friend who says to heat up the metal with a torch and try and bend the metal. Not sure that is something I am going t o try myself.

Suggestions are welcome.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2438[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2439[/ATTACH]

Andrew

I know a few of you all mentioned you are in to gunsmithing and I know some of you work with metal. Any insight or adivce would be appreciated.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

The blade looks really close to front sight and heating up to bend you would still have to pry it so that seems difficult to me as you’d be running the risk of bending the front sight while trying to get the blade.

I never used a similar tool on such a small scale but there might be some type of clamp type spreader thin enough to get in between the bent blade and the front sight post on one side and butt up next to the other blade that would spread the opening hopefully focusing on the bent blade.

Another thing would be to use 3 wedges. One wedge on each side of the front sight wedging outward then drive a shorter wedge in between the gap of the 2 wedges which should maintain equal pressure on each side of the sight post to prevent it from bending. The shortness of the 3rd wedge would be to achieve the desired bend before it hits the sight post. I think that could actually work long as the sight post has the integrity to withstand the pressure on each side.

Other than that I would wait for more answers here and even have a gunsmith look at it just to see what he says or suggest. Sort of seems like it would be a relatively common repair for a veteran gunsmith.

Andrew

I am cheap. Trying to avoid paying a gunsmith 🙂

You are the second person to suggest heating it up ans then bending it though.

otis302

Andrew they have mini torches where you can direct the heat soley on that ear then take a good pair of needle nose and bend it back take your time they are very durable you can do it

Andrew

I am going to try and find someone that has a torch. I do not think my BIC or Zippo is going to get it hot enough.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.