Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry Mauser

This topic contains 28 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@andrew.anderson 19879 wrote:

I am going to try and find someone that has a torch. I do not think my BIC or Zippo is going to get it hot enough.

They sell what they call a micro torch at harbor freight for about $10 that runs off butane lighter fluid that might get it hot enough. One day I hope to have a little oxygen/acetylene bottle set up with a cutting torch but most people don’t have that kind of set up.

Andrew

$10 is not bad. I will check it out later today.

boisdarc

If you have a bench vise, you could put the bottom 2/3s of the front sight in the vise and using a screwdriver and hammer (small hammer no bfh) put the blade of the screwdriver against the bent down side and REALLY gently start to tap it. No heat just do it cold, it wasn’t heated up and dropped to bend it like that. Some poor joe or herman the German in this case, dropped it and got his but chewed out by an N.C.O.(maybe)

boisdarc

OK, so correction not herman the german but maybe Jose the Spaniard.

Andrew

I need to address the sight issue. I took it to the range Friday and it was a big distraction having the chunk of metal so close to the front sight post.

Talking about the range. The rifle fired every time I pulled the trigger. That is the good thing I can say about it. I was shooting at 50 yards and I can’t tell you were the rounds went though. I was shooting at a 11 x 11 target and none of them hit paper. I only fired 6 rounds though since my main goal at the range was to work with the AR-10.

I had a lot of issues with the mauser when I tried to rotate the bolt after firing rounds. I was shooting from a table and the bolt was so tight I had to stand up hold the rifle down with my left hand and pull hard up on the bolt with my right to get the bolt up so I could eject the round. I have no idea why that was. I brought it home and cleaned it good and just loaded adn cycled rounds with the bolt here (no firing) and it was not that tight. If anyone has any insights let me know.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@andrew.anderson 20073 wrote:

I need to address the sight issue. I took it to the range Friday and it was a big distraction having the chunk of metal so close to the front sight post.

Talking about the range. The rifle fired every time I pulled the trigger. That is the good thing I can say about it. I was shooting at 50 yards and I can’t tell you were the rounds went though. I was shooting at a 11 x 11 target and none of them hit paper. I only fired 6 rounds though since my main goal at the range was to work with the AR-10.

I had a lot of issues with the mauser when I tried to rotate the bolt after firing rounds. I was shooting from a table and the bolt was so tight I had to stand up hold the rifle down with my left hand and pull hard up on the bolt with my right to get the bolt up so I could eject the round. I have no idea why that was. I brought it home and cleaned it good and just loaded adn cycled rounds with the bolt here (no firing) and it was not that tight. If anyone has any insights let me know.

Do you have any visible rubbing marks on the inside of the receiver? Did the spent brass look normal after ejection or was it dented or scratched?

It doesn’t have a scope mount that is screwed into the receiver does it? I’ve heard of screws for scope mounts affecting the function of bolts on other bolt action rifles before.

Andrew

There are wear marks. The rifle is between 80-100 years old. No messed up brass. No scope.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Probably can’t help with this one but trying to ask question that may help somebody that can. Is it hard to cycle the entire length of the bolt or is it limited to just the beginning or end.

Andrew

@teknabuzz 20081 wrote:

Probably can’t help with this one but trying to ask question that may help somebody that can. Is it hard to cycle the entire length of the bolt or is it limited to just the beginning or end.

It is onl;y difficult to disengage the bolt. By that I mean to pull up on the bolt and let it pop back that for 1/8 to 1/4 inch.

Andrew

I emailed the company that imported the rifle and asked about the front site. Response below.

Hi Andrew, the bent front sight protector is pinned through the inner silver soldered front sight holder, and would need it’s pin removed judiciously before removing, and reforming the sight protector or the silver solder can, and may be loosened making the gun shoot off center. thanks Mark

boisdarc

Hey Andrew check this site out, the best of its kind I’ve encountered. index

Alonso1

I love Mausers but have never had any luck with them. They all had tight bolts (maybe because they were all surplus and probably were mixed, matched and slapped back together for sale) and poor groups.

Most of my Mausers were $50 Turkish and a couple of Germans. I also purchased a thousand rounds of Turkish 8mm surplus and this is most likely explains the poor groups. After playing around with them for a couple of years and always disappointed with their performance, I sold all of them except for a German Mauser that was a Russian capture. It’s in fair condition and still has most of the swastikas, it’s a nice wall hanger but not much good for anything else.

On the flip side, I know several people who shoot well under 4 MOA with Mausers but they reload their own ammo and the rifles are in great condition.

Andrew

@boisdarc 20121 wrote:

Hey Andrew check this site out, the best of its kind I’ve encountered. index

That is alot of info to digest. I started looking through his Mauser stuff. I have not found anything that specifically addresses the bolt issues but there is alot of good info n there. Thank you.

Andrew

@alonso1 20124 wrote:

I love Mausers but have never had any luck with them. They all had tight bolts (maybe because they were all surplus and probably were mixed, matched and slapped back together for sale) and poor groups.

Most of my Mausers were $50 Turkish and a couple of Germans. I also purchased a thousand rounds of Turkish 8mm surplus and this is most likely explains the poor groups. After playing around with them for a couple of years and always disappointed with their performance, I sold all of them except for a German Mauser that was a Russian capture. It’s in fair condition and still has most of the swastikas, it’s a nice wall hanger but not much good for anything else.

On the flip side, I know several people who shoot well under 4 MOA with Mausers but they reload their own ammo and the rifles are in great condition.

If I can get the thing to function properly and shoot any sort of group (sights need fixed) I will be happy. It is just a back up launch platform for the .308 cartridge.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.