My Homesteading Youtube Channel

Home Forums Homesteading My Homesteading Youtube Channel

This topic contains 100 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  PhilTheBiker 3 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 101 total)
  • Author

PhilTheBiker

32 new chicks that are about 4 or 5 weeks old now. They should be laying eggs by march.

PhilTheBiker

The river is starting to freeze over. Here is a quick video of the homestead.

[video=youtube_share;0wI7khw5nQI]http://youtu.be/0wI7khw5nQI[/video]

PhilTheBiker

Ok, I have a new buck and he needs a name!

[video=youtube_share;D-_NHP0gLt4]http://youtu.be/D-_NHP0gLt4[/video]

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I agree Phil you do have a great narrative voice for your youtube channel.

PhilTheBiker

I decided to skip some rocks on the Allegheny River today.

PhilTheBiker

My rabbit is busy nesting. I’m guessing babies will arrive soon!!! http://youtu.be/SsxF16AK7VE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew

How soon before baby arrival do they normally start nesting?

PhilTheBiker

In the past when she goes crazy nesting it is within 24 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharpe

Quite a lot of videos up, will have to catch up swiftly! Looks awesome so far though.

PhilTheBiker

Odd, no babies yet. Then again, it was 10 degrees last time I looked…

PhilTheBiker

I bred three rabbits. One didn’t take, the other two had babies. Last night the one that was nesting had hers. 9 babies, they all froze 🙁 That would have been a great source of food, probably close to 30 pounds in that batch alone after 12 – 14 weeks.

The other rabbit that had babies (looks like 5) built a good nest. I decided to just bring the cage that still has the live babies inside. I don’t want to risk losing more babies.

I’ll rebreed the two that didn’t stick next week sometime.

Andrew

@philthebiker 17200 wrote:

I bred three rabbits. One didn’t take, the other two had babies. Last night the one that was nesting had hers. 9 babies, they all froze 🙁 That would have been a great source of food, probably close to 30 pounds in that batch alone after 12 – 14 weeks.

The other rabbit that had babies (looks like 5) built a good nest. I decided to just bring the cage that still has the live babies inside. I don’t want to risk losing more babies.

I’ll rebreed the two that didn’t stick next week sometime.

That sucks that you lost all 9 kits. Did the doe just do a poor job of building a nest or was it just too cold?

PhilTheBiker

It was my fault. I used the wrong type of nesting box for this time of year. The bottom of the nesting box was plastic and it should have been a thick wood. The babies were all on the plastic and the plastic on the wire cage outside. The other doe had 5 kits and they are doing fine. She had hers in a wooden box. I decided against the wooden box with the other rabbit because I thought she would have been too big for it.

Here is the update with the healthy babies and first time momma. This rabbit needs a name! I don’t name them till they produce kits for me!

[video=youtube_share;_yr0Jf27EBU]http://youtu.be/_yr0Jf27EBU[/video]

PhilTheBiker

Here is a photo of the rabbit who’s litter did not freeze. 8 of them! I’m so upset because I would have had 17 if both litters had lived. That would have been between 40 and 50 pounds of meat dressed out!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2015[/ATTACH]

Andrew

They are kind of ugly when they are little. They remind me of kittens when they are first born. Ugly.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.